Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

AVS Sports

Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2000, 02:33 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have just had a set of new 205/50 16 Yoko AVS Sports fitted. My previous set were Bridgestone SO2 PP & they have lasted 12k miles. After I've bedded-in the tyres I'll post my obvervations, if anyone is interested.

Yoko's recommended price is £112.48 + VAT.
Old 22 January 2000, 04:30 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After the probs you had with the S-02's it might be interesting to hear how you get on with these Nick ?
Old 22 January 2000, 06:07 PM
Doc
Scooby Regular

Did you get these from Bridge tyres?
Old 22 January 2000, 08:59 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Doc

Yes, Bridge Tyres at Bridgwater. They took great care fitting the tyres & as you know they have excellent equipment including that balancing machine that puts the weights behind the spokes. They are car enthusiasts too!
Old 23 January 2000, 02:10 AM
AndyMc
Scooby Regular

Hi Nick

I'm interested

If you remember I also don't like the on the limit handling (16inch)of the SO2s,despite the high wet grip levels.
You seem to be the only person on here besides me that doesn't like them.

My first set of tyres only lasted 11K and were not replaced untill absolutely necessary,you also seem to suffer from high tyre wear,which makes me wonder if we push our cars a bit harder than other people.

I would be interested in what you think of the level of wet grip compared to the SO2s(when also new)
the at-the-limit-handling
and if there was a running in period.

cheers

Andy
Old 23 January 2000, 05:50 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Andy

There was definately more than the 2 of us who were unhappy with 16" SO2's. For the purpose of comparison, I'll ignore what the SO2's were like for the first 1k or so miles.

It is true that some people may "think" that they drive quickly, but it's only when you get on a track, or on something like the Welsh or Exmoor drives that you really find out.

WRT Wear rates. We do seem to be around the same - I do quite a high proportion of A & B road stuff at quite high speeds. Motorways, I tend to stick at 4k revs.
Old 24 January 2000, 01:27 PM
AndyMc
Scooby Regular

Nick

North/mid Wales is my usual hunting ground
eg A543 (A5 to Denbigh) .Those city boys don't know what their missing!!!

Andy
Old 24 January 2000, 10:32 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

First feedback from AVS Sports.

I thought that the appearance on the 16" rims was fairly plain compared to the SO2's. Today however a client of mine who is only faintly interested in cars said... "What the hell are those!" pointing to the nifty tread pattern...

Still bedding-in the tyres, but they seem to be more quiet than the SO2's.

[This message has been edited by Nick (edited 24-01-2000).]
Old 25 January 2000, 06:58 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

100 mile report.
Still a little slippy on damp roundabouts. Steering feels a little light with a kind of damped feeling.
I'm assuming that they need some more bedding-in.

Info from tyre dealers:
Advice now re: rotating tyres. They advise only rotate if you're going to do it every month or so. It seems that each tyre beds to it's position & weight on the car. If you rotate after say 6 months, the fronts will be worn on the edges & if you now put these on the back, the tyre will have to bed in again & actually wear much quicker than if you'd left it on the front. Tyre companies advice is to rotate across each axle - however there doesn't seem to be much point to this.
Old 25 January 2000, 07:06 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Especially if the tyres are directional Nick, you would have to have them removed from the rim and remounted the other way round to swap across the axle.
Old 25 January 2000, 07:29 PM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Hi,

I recently had a puncture repair done, having had my tyres rotated the week before. while having a puncture repair done, I noticed a sign in the office from Pirelli technical dept advising against rotating tyres between front and rear.

The explanation was that this was would compromise the stablility of the car (presumably in the wet) by increasing grip at the front and decreasing it at the back.

I measured the tread depth, which was 4.5mm front, and 3.9mm at the back - so no great difference there. That being the case, why would the (slightly) more worn tyres be less grippy?. Maybe the Scooby wears it's tyres more evenly so this doesn't apply so much as a FWD or RWD car.

Cheers.

Alex

[This message has been edited by AlexM (edited 25-01-2000).]
Old 25 January 2000, 07:36 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Ian
Yes, I know. A hell of a hassle!

Alex
The main problem would be that you would be putting tyres with worn shoulders onto the rear. The is what the tyre companies don't like. The front tyres would also have worn in a different way. (Edges rather than centre). Now you put the fronts on the back & the centre of the tyre has more rubber. Once it's settled to the back it will wear faster in the middle because there's more rubber in the centre. Also there is much less support from the edges (because they've worn away on the front of the car). Tis makes the centre wear even faster. The opposite applies to the front of course.

[This message has been edited by Nick (edited 25-01-2000).]
Old 29 January 2000, 04:17 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

250 mile report.
The tyres are still a little slippy & I can definately feel a loss of grip. I'll assume for now, that they're still scrubbing / bedding in. They have improved a little though. They have a slight tendancy to tramline, especially on road cambers.
Although they don't appear to have a rim protector, this is not true, The whole tyre pokes out further & therefore the whole side wall protects the rim.
Old 01 February 2000, 07:47 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

350 miles
Tyres feeling much better now. The roads are muddy & slippery at the moment & although I wasn't pushing too hard they felt good over the Quantock Hills tonight. They are definately less figity than the SO2's & also seem to give more grip information through the steering wheel. They seem to be very progressive when making progress.

Waiting for some more dry weather, to try on the limit handling. I still think they may need another 150 miles bedding-in.
Old 07 February 2000, 11:20 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

500 miles
I feel that the tyres are STILL bedding in. A little slippy still, especially at the fronts. Wet weather grip seems equal to dry weather. Current grip levels are slightly better that the SO2's at 500 miles, although the SO2's did get better after 1k miles. One difference though is that the Sports are much more chuckable. When they lose grip, they are easier to sort out & seem to be more progressive in losing grip & also seem to give you more feedback from the road.

Conclusion after 500 miles
Still more bedding in needed. Not yet as grippy as SO2's were at their peak.
Old 08 March 2000, 11:31 AM
MarkL
Scooby Regular

Question

Any more updates, Nick? So far the conclusion seems to be that the AVS Sport provides lower ultimate grip levels than the S-02 (once bedded in) on 16" rims, but the handling is more predictable. Correct?
Old 08 March 2000, 07:25 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Conclusion
After 1000+ miles use. The AVS Sport tyres have less overall grip than the SO2's. They are however much more predictable & you can easily have fun with 4 wheel slides on roundabouts. However, the car shod in SO2's would have left you behind scrabbling for grip. When SO2's do lose grip, they do it fairly quickly though.
In the wet, it would be possible to almost ignore the conditions shod with SO2's & drive as normal. With the AVS Sports, you have to be careful & also tippy-toe on the slippery bits (muddy, wet roundabout).
Old 08 March 2000, 09:44 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

Hi Nick
So what tyres next?
You must make these tyres last you longer, I have showed you how.
Nice seeing you again at the meet hope all is well.

Bob
Old 08 March 2000, 10:10 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Hi Bob

The AVS tyres will last me a while. But when they're worn out I'll go back to SO2's.

Things are extremly unpleasant on the divorce front.
Old 08 March 2000, 11:44 PM
strong
Scooby Regular

Nick, you say the Yoko price is £112+VAT, but what price were you able to get them for -- presumably a fair bit less if the above is RRP?

I couldn't find the treadwear/traction/temperature rating of the tyre on their website. Do you happen to know the first of those 3 (or even all 3) for th e AVS Sports?

Finally, I know it's early days but are you noticing shoulder wear on the fronts?

Cheers,
Paul
Old 09 March 2000, 12:15 AM
mike_nunan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Wheels Around are doing AVS Sport in 205/50R16 size for £95 inc VAT. Delivery will add about £15 for the set, which will be essential unless you live in Perthshire. Speak to Rhona on 01764-662897.

(PS. They're also doing Dunlop Formula-R D01J road-legal track tyres at £100 each, should have my set in a week or so!)
Old 09 March 2000, 08:50 AM
Nick
Scooby Senior

AFAIK The tyre is new so is not being discounted yet. I DID get a discount solely due to the fact that I called Yokohama UK & suggested that they may like to help out on my Marie Curie Cancer Care trip to France.

I have just checked the tyres very carefully & there are no ratings on the outside edge of the tyres. (They may be on the inside edge - but I can't see that). I also checked the AVS brochure & no ratings are in there either. Maybe they are US imports? I also have a set on my BMW 333i which I bought late last year. They also have no ratings.

There is no shoulder wear as such, but I can see a small amount of heat/scrub damage on the front shoulders. (Tiny ripples in the rubber).
Old 09 March 2000, 09:10 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Seems quite cheap. Perhaps you could check that the price is for the Z rated (V102) version.