Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Upgrading from 15" to 16" alloys

Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2000, 10:57 PM
martinf
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I remember reading a thread on this some time ago, but I would be interested in other peoples experiences.

I recently swapped the alloys on my 96 turbo to the later style 16"s. The car feels much 'flatter' during cornering, and the grip levels are definately higher (could be the new tyres).

However:

a)steering feel does seem reduced (gyroscopic effect of heavier wheels?)

b)road noise is up

c)tramlines at slow speeds

d)mpg is down (from 290 a tank to 265)

Of coarse, the new wheels do look better!!

Has anyone else seen any of this?

Cheers, Martin
Old 18 January 2000, 10:31 AM
martinf
Scooby Regular

thanks for your comments

The tyres are the standard size and you are right to say the diameter is the same. I have tried upping pressure to 34psi all round but no real difference (except car felt less planted)

When I fitted them I could feel a weight difference with the 15" wheels, but I have done this on other cars and not noticed any difference in mpg.

The lower profile exagerates the tramlining, I think, because of reduced flex, (which also accounts for the handling benefits).

The only problem is the decrease in mpg when your car does loads of miles every year! I feel this must be the extra weight (or maybe the Bridgestones 'drag' more).

I could comfortably make 290 miles by middle bar of 'E' on gauge. Now its about 265 (I thought I pushed on, but some of you guys must be flying!!)

Cheers, Martin
Old 18 January 2000, 10:52 AM
pnebbs
Scooby Regular

Martin,

The gyroscopic effect will be increased, because even if the weight and circumference is the same, the mass is distributed further towards the edge and away from the centre with the larger wheels

Interestting that you got more mpg with lower profile and therefore lower gearing, usually you would expect better mpg with the higher gearing

Paul
Old 18 January 2000, 01:25 PM
pnebbs
Scooby Regular

Dave

Sorry, wasn't very clear, I mean't the differnce between 45 and 50 profile tyres on your 16" wheels

Paul
Old 18 January 2000, 03:00 PM
martinf
Scooby Regular

So, do you think that because the 16" wheels are a tiny bit bigger in diameter, they rotate
less times for a given distance?

That would mean my trip meter showing a lower reading for a given distance, giving the
illusion of less mpg (also a great way to keep the miles down (20k a year, ouch)

It would also mean my speedo is out, I will check this if I can get my wife to follow me.

Cheers
Old 18 January 2000, 04:53 PM
martinf
Scooby Regular

Do you think a combination of new tyres (+2mm tread) plus higher tyre pressures could account
for the difference?

Cheers
Old 18 January 2000, 10:40 PM
martinf
Scooby Regular

Hi

You are right about 15"s having 205/55. I have also checked my 16"s & I definately have 205/50s on them.

It is interesting how most people (I assume with the larger wheels) report lower fuel consumption than I got with my 15"s. I never had to fill before 290 showed on the trip.

Cheers
Old 19 January 2000, 10:50 AM
Sheridan
Scooby Regular

Interesting I did the same change last week I also put new tyres on (t1S) and had the geometry all checked/adjusted as well. So I have changed several things at once and the things I have noticed are:
1. Road noise is now intrusive (especially as mine is 5 door)
2. Doesn't tram line any more especially at the 3 mile cross roundabout onto the A33
3. Understeers far worse than the 15's, but this could be the geometry or the tyres.
4. never noticed cats eyes were so big before
Old 19 January 2000, 01:45 PM
Sheridan
Scooby Regular

The dealer who did my alignment said they would only do the prodrive settings if you had the prodrive suspension. however I am glad I had it done the settings were out anyway.
Old 19 January 2000, 10:13 PM
martinf
Scooby Regular

so has anyone drawn any conclusions? I am starting to wonder if the 15" wheels and the spare cash spent on better tyres might give me the best driving, (although the new alloys look soooo much better) - Then again, I guess I didn't buy it for its looks!

I would definately agree that road noise is worse on 16"s and my car never tramlined at all with the 15"s.

It occurs to me that by the time Subaru made 16"s standard the suspension had been stiffened somewhat. This probably compensates for the extra unsprung weight of the bigger wheels.

Cheers, Martin
Old 20 January 2000, 04:53 PM
martinf
Scooby Regular

The tyres are the standard Bridgestones (only 1k on them now).

The only real problem is extra fuel cost when you do 700 miles odd a week. I can live with everything else because the car does corner better.

I will check the speedo accuracy this weekend against my other car & let you know if this is the cause.

I probably shouldn't complain too much as 265 miles per tank seems pretty good compared to some.

Cheers, Martin
Old 31 January 2000, 01:10 PM
martinf
Scooby Regular

Just to fill you all in on the latest

- My wife took the car for a while and got 300 miles on a tank - whoops I guess that was me having fun then...

- My dealer told me that the standard fit 16" Bridgestones have a VERY hard sidewall, (they are hard to change apparently). They believe that this increases both road noise AND the tramlining tendency.

-The dealer also suggested that the tramlining can be greatly reduced by adjusting the geometry settings. They have apparently experimented with this and found a setup they feel works best. They also think this reduces tyre wear.

-I can vouch for this reducing tramlining because I just bought a second Impreza (96 5 door) with this setup done. This car is a lot less nervous over bumps than my saloon...

Cheers