Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Do all 4 tyres have to be changed at the same time??

Search this Thread

Old 15 November 1999, 01:58 PM
Q
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I heard a story the other day (not on Jackanory) that when replacing tyres you should replace all four and not just one pair. This had something to do with the different circumferences of the wheels putting undue stress on the transmission. Has anyone else heard about this or is this a load of porkies??
Old 15 November 1999, 02:36 PM
Gethin
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Yes.

Change all 4 at the same time. To stop uneven wear, after 5-10K miles swap the fronts to the back and vice versa.

Gethin
MY96 WRX
Old 15 November 1999, 03:12 PM
Lee
Scooby Regular

Just so happened that all of mine wear at the same rate. I was presuming that the rears would go first ?
Old 15 November 1999, 04:09 PM
JohnS

It depends on how worn the tyres are. If for example you had nearly 4 nearly new tyres 5 - 6 mm of tread remaining), and punctured one or two, then it would be OK to fit a pair of new ones to the front, and then fit the slightly older ones to the rear. On cars which never have the tyres rotated, the fronts can end up with 2mm less tread than those at the rear.

I woudln't fit two new tyres to one side of a car, or fit one new one when the other three were all well worn. If all 4 were well worn, then I'd replace all 4 at the same time, even though some of them may have a few K miles wear left in them.
Old 15 November 1999, 04:14 PM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Hi,

I am replacing one wheel (front N/S) after the dealer managed to kerb one.

They are offering a new (100 mile) wheel and tyre, but the rest are 10000miles, with approx 6mm tread. Is this going to be a problem?.

Rgds,

Alex
Old 15 November 1999, 04:53 PM
xyzpaul
Scooby Regular

Do a search for "Advice on wheels/diff", as this topic was recently discussed.

Paul
Old 16 November 1999, 11:25 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Alex,

Hi, hope your wallet arrived safely.

I assume the dealer didnt take responsibilty, maybe it was the wife after all.

Why not replace just the wheel and keep your tyre from your damaged wheel or is it damaged too?

If they come as a package keep the new tyre as a spare and transfer the 10,000 mile tyre onto the new rim.

Just one more thing. how much are they charging you for a new wheel. If you remember that alloy wheel bloke that I told you about, I will swear by his work, the man is an alloy wheel genius. he also has a fantastic knowledge of contemporary 20th century music and would kill anyone I else I know in a mastermind bout. He also has a silver face, silver hair and goggle marks. Very odd looking.

Aside from this, let me know if you want to do it. £25 you wont be able to tell it from the others and it takes less than a day.

Up to you. If your wheel is considerably more, then it is worth it.
Old 18 November 1999, 11:23 AM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Adam,

Thanks for the offer of the services of your 'silver surfer'. Much to my suprise and delight, the dealer came up with a brand new wheel and tyre free of charge - Take a bow ACE Kensington.

Their Quality manager, who delivered and fitted the wheel, said that he didn't think the different amount of tread would cause any handling or mechanical problems. He did say that the new tyre may well wear more quickly than the old tyre on the same axle though.

I would still like to have the contact details of your alloy wheel god, as there are some minor scrapes on the other wheels which probably are attributable to my good lady wife or myself. Please mail them to me, or post to the BBS if you prefer - I'm sure that others could make good use of his services too.

Regards,

Alex
Old 19 November 1999, 06:55 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Dont't have his number on me. Will either post later or use directory inquiries.

Jims Alloys,
Temple Fortune
North West London
England