Rear Wheel Sqeal

Search this Thread

Old 13 October 1999, 12:16 AM
Scottie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Stef,

My MY99 (2K miles) does this too, but not perhaps as loudly as yours seems to be - its like a squeek/squeal from the back end.

I was wondering if it was something other than brakes - diff oil seals or whatever.

By the way - how does the hand brake work on the scoobs, is it hydraulic/mechanical and does it operate on discs, whatever. The reason for asking is that there is a small amount of play once the handbrake is applied which seems normal to imprezas from what I've read.
Old 13 October 1999, 10:57 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Question

After the failure of my local dealer to find the problem I thought I'd ask you lot.
Normally after a long drive, when I come back into slower traffic, I get a squeal from both rear wheels on each rotation. It happens completely at random, and not under braking. Sometimes braking stops the noise, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it's loud, other times quiet. Either way, it's very annoying and embarrasing. I took it to a dealer and explained it to him. I ended up paying £50 for him to tell me that the front pads he fitted three weeks before were cracked due to 'over-use' whatever that means, and he didn't hear any rear noise at all. I tried to explain that it was very random and he said if he couldn't hear it how would he know what it was? I then tried to explain that was the exact reason the car was there in the first place!!!
Anyway, he said the rear discs were bluey, indicating overheating and said the rear pads may be glazed.
Would this cause the random noise I'm getting, even though it happens after long drives, not hard drives?
Has anyone else had similar?
Please help, as the official Subaru advice was use performance road pads, which I intend to do anyway.
I don't consider myself to be a hard braker, but I've put braided lines in and they tried to tell me that they were putting the pads under extreme stress!!!!!
Any comments welcomed.
Thanks.

Stef.

[This message has been edited by Stephan (edited 15-10-1999).]
Old 13 October 1999, 04:10 PM
Scottie
Scooby Regular

Dave,

Yup, there is a small amount of movement (no more than one inch) when the handbrake is applied.

I think it might be the handbrake too which causes the squeel

Scottie
Old 13 October 1999, 07:19 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Cool

Mine plays too!! MY99
Old 14 October 1999, 10:08 AM
robski
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Mine too (MY99), and seeing as I only have a couple of inches spare in my garage, I know that sooner or later my rear spoiler is going to get "trimmed" by my garage door.

robski
Old 14 October 1999, 07:20 PM
Doug
Scooby Regular

Mine too (MY99) It does seem more prone after the car has been parked in the sun for a number of hours.

As for over use or hard braking, mine started after three or four days when I was still running in!

Haven't spoken to a dealer because it's only happened a few times and only lasts a minute or so.
Old 15 October 1999, 12:28 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Cool

A bit off topic, but if i had cracked brake pads at 7,500 miles I'd be looking for them to be replaced with upgraded pads free of charge.

Build a car that'll do 145mph and handle like Scoobs do and then blame the driver for the pads cracking? (After having uprated the brakes for the MY99 cars anyway)

Are they taking the P***???

Steve, I'd get 'round the dealer and be demanding some money back.

D.

[This message has been edited by Diablo (edited 15-10-1999).]
Old 15 October 1999, 08:25 AM
Scottie
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Stef,

The squeal is definately caused by the handbrake mechanism - played with it a bit last night and was able to induce/remove the noise.

Cheers

Scottie
Old 15 October 1999, 09:19 AM
Steve Prockter
Scooby Regular

Stef

I don't know if the following will assist, but I have just had the 7500 miles service on my MY99. I complained to the dealer about a drumming sound on hard braking and it turns out that all four of the brake pads are cracked and required replacement. I too don't think that I brake particularly hard. On the basis that I had an MY98 for 30,000 miles and two track days the rear pads never required replacement, and I think the fronts went at 22,500 I can't help but feel that there might be something wrong with the 99 brake setup. Apparently both the front and rear calipers are different on the MY99 to the MY98.

Steve (200 Quid poorer).
Old 15 October 1999, 03:24 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Diablo.
Do you mean 'me' to go and get my money back? (My name's not Steve, that's all! )
The thing is, my front discs and pads were changed under warranty because thay had hairline cracks in. It was a fault with quite a lot of cars from 98 apparently.
Anyway, when they carried out this work I'd already fitted my braided lines, and they said nothing about them then.
Now that the pads have cracked, they're trying to blame my lines for putting the pads under too much stress.
I couldn't believe I was being told by a Subaru dealer to fit high performance pads in my car. They told me if I had a problem with it, then I should write off.
Lot of hassle though isn't it?

Scottie.
Thanks for the info. I'll get the handbrake checked. It was making the noise before it went in for it's 30k service, so if it was the handbrake, it should have stopped when they re-adjusted it shouldn't it? Assuming they DID re-adjust it of course!

Stef.
Old 15 October 1999, 04:57 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Cool

Stef, err......no.

I was replying to Steve Procter's post about being £200 lighter of pocket!

Still looking for that refresh button?

D.
Old 15 October 1999, 07:41 PM
Steve Prockter
Scooby Regular

Diablo

I'd be straight back round the dealers if I could prove they were faulty. Unfortunately friction linings are not warrantable items. I reckon sale of goods act could come in useful here though ( fit for purpose etc). 4 months old pads with 7500, of which 1000 was running in period and knackered. I might give it ago.

Steve

[This message has been edited by Steve Prockter (edited 15-10-1999).]
Old 17 October 1999, 07:38 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Diablo.
Oh yeah, sorry! I didn't see Steve's post (somehow!).
How could I possibly think you'd get my name wrong after all this time!

Stef.
Old 17 October 1999, 07:40 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

By the way, thanks for all your help guys. It definitely IS the handbrake, so it's being sorted.
Cheers.

Stef.
Old 18 October 1999, 02:07 PM
simo
Scooby Regular

Angry

Steve

I had same problem on front discs. From 11k, noise under braking. Discs @ & pads changed @ 15k with dealer sending bits back to Subaru UK. All sorted under warrenty so worth while contacting dealer

Simon
Old 19 October 1999, 05:54 PM
Steve Prockter
Scooby Regular

Simo

Was that on a MY99, and were your discs cracked? If my discs were cracked I wouldn't have a problem, but just the brake linings seem to have deteriorated. The discs (at present)are OK.

Steve