Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Can you change just 2 tyres !!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12 February 2004, 11:04 AM
M8 NNY
Scooby Regular

Location: My95uk-my98ppp wagon-old 205 gti(R.I.P)golf gttdi on 19's
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Can you change just 2 tyres !!!!!!!!

I need two tyres for my 98 wagon just wondering if it is ok to just change two?Looks like the fronts have been swoped for the back but too late as they are worn on inner edge so an alignment is called for any help appreciated
Old 12 February 2004, 01:12 PM
Impret-Sir
Scooby Regular

The fronts always seem to go on the inside edges, mine are the same, even when the alignment is ok, I think running them at slightly higher pressures helps, I run mine at 33psi which is what Prodrive reccommend for all sizes. As to your question, yes its fine to only change two tyres, as long as they are on the same end, ie, back or front. It is not a good idea to swap just one tyre, but two, on the same end, should be fine.
Old 12 February 2004, 02:29 PM
JohnMcC
Scooby Regular

I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that this was not a great idea on the Impreza, it being AWD......I thought that it was very susceptible to differences between tread depth, between front and back? Which can damage the...er....ummmm....technical bits I'm not too technical, me!!!
Old 12 February 2004, 04:03 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

I remember reading in the owners manual that uneven depth of tread between front and back can damage the AWD system. Don't know how much it needs to be to cause concern.

Dipster
Old 12 February 2004, 04:05 PM
Impret-Sir
Scooby Regular

That sounds like a story put about by the tyre companies! What possible difference could a few ml of tread depth make ? Tyres dont all wear at exactly the same rate anyway, and if the "technical bits" are that fragile thet would break if you put the spare wheel on!
Old 12 February 2004, 06:24 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

The diffs on the impreza are quite 'loose' so it shouldn't be a great problem as long as one set isn't like a slick and the other brand new.

Vauxhallls have a reputation that diffs get knackered if the tread depths are vastly different.

Tony.
Old 12 February 2004, 09:25 PM
Madgord
Scooby Regular

If you find just one side is very worn down and the other side is ok, it could well be tracking and yes you are ok just to swap to front tyres.

Gord
Old 13 February 2004, 01:33 PM
rich_russell
Scooby Regular

The handbook for the Legacy tells you that it's a good idea to swap front and rear tyres every few months to even the wear.

The Subaru diffs are quite tolerant of uneven wear between tyres as the viscous coupling is very loose. Unlike the fixed diffs of Calibra 4WDs, that do really suffer from the back tyres having a different amount of wear from the front - due to the rolling circumference being different.
Old 15 February 2004, 01:35 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance

I wouldn't worry too much about the diffs, within reason. The question with tyres is grip!

The whole thing about a Scoob is balance, and I would not drive with significantly different tyres, left to right or front to back.

Apart from anything else, what fun can you have when you don't know which corner has grip and which doesn't?

Richard.

PS Tyres are cheap