Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

RE050's and WRX03

Search this Thread

Old 11 February 2004, 04:45 PM
dcf
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post RE050's and WRX03

I can't find much mention of the RE050's, which were fitted as OEM to the 2003 WRX, and have now been replaced as OEM with RE92 (I think).

I have done 21000 miles on mine and they are down to 3+ mm so will be changing very soon.

Most of my driving is done in country areas of Central Scotland and in the Highlands. Mostly it is on fairly quiet winding A, B (and C!!) class roads in (as you would expect) all sorts of road conditions. Relatively little is done on M-ways and dual carriageways.

I find the RE050's have tremendous grip in dry and wet. I can't really notice the difference, and they give great confidence. From memory there is a big difference from my previous WRX01, but I can't remember the tyres they were fitted with. Also, although we don't usually get many days with snow lying on the roads we do get some, and they have performed surprisingly well on twisting B and C roads, at slow speeds, without any drama (so far!!!).

The F1's get great reports, but looking at the tread pattern I guess they will be pretty horrific on snow.

So, all in all, I am thinking I will get the RE050's again.

Two questions:
1. Is there any agreement or disagreement with my conclusions, especially from anyone who has experienced both RE050's and F1's.
2. Does anyone know why Subaru have gone for RE92's for the MY04 WRX. It seems to be quite a compromise.