Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Tyre rotation before its too late?

Search this Thread

Old 03 February 2004, 10:26 PM
fastfrank
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Tyre rotation before its too late?

Hi All,
As per a previous thread I'm going to need new fronts soon cos the sides are being eaten away by my cornering techniques.

I've done front to back rotation but this isn't doing any good cos the edges are near knakered all round.

The alternative I believe is to get a tyre fitter to swap the tyres from one side to the other thus avoiding the tyre direction issue.

That said, can I just do the fronts with this method or do I need to do the rears at the same time to be safe?

Cheers
Frank
Old 04 February 2004, 01:53 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance

Not keen on this. Tyre rotating is a good idea, but you need to do it frequently, before the tyres wear enough to change their footprint.

From what you've said, swap the front tyres over, and then fit the best pair at the front.

Richard.
Old 04 February 2004, 04:51 PM
MARK MORRIS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hoppy
Not keen on this. Tyre rotating is a good idea, but you need to do it frequently, before the tyres wear enough to change their footprint.

From what you've said, swap the front tyres over, and then fit the best pair at the front.

Richard.
i rotate mine every 2.5k, cars done nearly 9k now, all worn evenly
mark
Old 05 February 2004, 05:48 PM
stomith
Scooby Newbie

Default Bridgestone Potenza 040 typical observation...

I found that rotating the tyres was virtually pointless.

The near side front and rear will wear faster than the off-side, as they seem to take the weight of the car (particularly on roundabouts)

As most of the tyres you will probably have will be directional you will have to start flipping the tyres from front to back and then offside<>nearside (and vice verca). Of course doing this offside<>nearside swap means you will have to get them taken off of the rims.

The pointless part of this is that the near-side of any tyre will wear faster than the rest of the tread regardless of which wheel you put a tyre on.

Imo - you can extend tyre life by:
Driving Backwards everywhere (ever other day)
Driving across roundabouts. (not around)
Get a rather large lardy chap to hang out of the passenger window at every left hand corner. (to compensate for r/bouts wear)
Put a titanium layer over the rubber of said tyres. (this 'may' affect traction) (effect traction)...affect....effect......we're having an argument over this...

Gonna try those BF Goodrich to see how they perform. they are £120 less...see below

4 x Potenza 040 £456
4 x BF Goodrich Profiler £360

too cheap?? I'll let you know...