Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Puncture repaired tyres - are they just as safe?

Search this Thread

Old 03 November 2003, 03:15 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Puncture hole is slap bang in the middle of the tread of one of my TS-1s.

Ok to repair, or will i forever be running a weaker tyre?

Should i swap it with the wheel and tyre (same wear) that's on the rear - i assume i want the best possible tyres on the front? Or won't it ever matter if it's repaired properly?

Cheers.
Old 03 November 2003, 06:17 PM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

I had a puncture same as yours when I had my MY99. It was repaired and was fine, no problems at track speeds.

I think if the tyre place says it can be repaired then don't worry about it.

DaveW.
Old 04 November 2003, 06:54 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I had one repaired last year. 4 days later the bugger was flat again, they hadn't bonded it properly the dumb asses. I wouldn't risk it again.
Old 04 November 2003, 06:58 PM
supertouring
Scooby Regular

I've had a couple of repairs, with no problems. Event used one of them on the track.
Old 04 November 2003, 07:12 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I had one.. went up in bang on a back road 1 week after fitting it, cost me 2 badly scraped wheels and a new pair of Calvin Klines , gues what I think u should do, dont risk it
Old 04 November 2003, 09:44 PM
mark@wrx
Scooby Regular

Sh**e! If you go to a well respected tyre dealer who knows what they are doing there should be no issue with getting a plug put into a tyre. FFS i've seen them used on tarmac rally tyres in the past!
Old 04 November 2003, 10:21 PM
AR
Scooby Regular

Would you risk your life in a performance car with this? If you can't afford the tyres, buy a cheaper car!
Old 04 November 2003, 10:55 PM
mark@wrx
Scooby Regular

Question

What a load of bollocks. If they ain't up to the standards, why are they allowed to be done?!?!
Old 05 November 2003, 12:21 AM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

well put it this way, do you think the tyre company payed for a new tyre after I had a blow out or do you think they said what do you expect with a performance car and second rate tyres. He did say they can send them off to be repaired and this is a much better job..... wish he had said this before
Old 05 November 2003, 09:51 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for the replies.

Certainly the bloke from the place i bought the Toyos from was adamant that a repair could be done to make the tyre as good as new, as long as the hole wasn't near the tyre edge, which it wasn't.

The particularly annoying thing was that the tyre was literally just three weeks old - i'd had all four replaced at once, and i've never had a puncture before. Unlucky or what?

But the decision was taken out of my hands yesterday. Because i'd gone about 1/3rd of a mile to a garage for some air to get home, when the tyre was removed we found that i had destroyed the inside of the tyre so it couldn't be repaired anyway. So a new one it is! Amazing that so much damage can be done in such a short distance.

If this had been on the Scoob, i wouldn't have thought twice about buying brand new, but on the runabout i was prepared to stick it on the rear and trust the tyre fella's opinion that i would never have known the difference. I'll never know now!
Old 05 November 2003, 10:00 AM
Ricky81 STi
Scooby Regular

I am a tyre dealer and we repair all types of tyres from lorries to high performance cars, as long as the puncture is not a big cut caused by something like glass or a hole in the sidewall then taking the tyre off the rim and repairing it with a tubless patch is perfect. The reason most tyre shops tell you that a patch is not a good job is to get a sale!! As long as the puncture is on the flat tread and something like a nail or screw caused it then get it patched, I've patched TT Supra's, 300ZX's, M3's, loads of Scoobys, Evo's, etc without a problem, so no need to make a big deal out of it.
Old 05 November 2003, 06:14 PM
currymonster
Scooby Regular

Had a puncture repaired by ATS in my scooby the day after I collected it and it did me proud till it was reeplaced due to lack of tread. No probs IMHO.

Cal

Old 06 November 2003, 01:27 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Angry

If you can't afford the tyres, buy a cheaper car!
I take offence at that statement You buy a performance bargain and that means you're loaded does it? It's the same as people who say, if you are worrying about fuel consumption, you should have bought a diesel. Did you buy your scoob (After getting rid of the citroen AX) so that you could large it down the boozer about how you can afford it? If you did, you're in the wrong forum. Maybe you will learn by post number 50

'Kin Snob

Mikey [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 06 November 2003, 09:07 PM
AR
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the patronising reply. I would always put tyres ahead of other things - I would prefer to put less miles on the car so that I had the £ for the right tyres.

I thought that forums' were for people to express their opinions. This I have done and I stand by what I said.
Old 06 November 2003, 09:21 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

My original set of Pirelli's were repaired 3 times (not the same tyre) and lasted nearly 25K. That was the first 18mths of Scooby ownership and I didn't treat the car gently.

I also had two Goodyears repaired last year with my old set. I spoke to the garage the very first time and they guaranteed if the repair is done properly and bonds, then it does not weaken the tyre. If it's the sidewall, then bin it.

In 4 years, I've never had one fail out of the 5 tyres I've had repaired.

Just go get it done at a reputable garage and ask if it's a straightforward repair.

Stefan
Old 06 November 2003, 09:24 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

AR,

Of course you can express your opinion, but ask yourself if you're likely to adere to peoples good nature by telling them to go buy a cheaper car coz they can't afford new tyres.

I could easily have afforded new ones, but I don'tt see the point in adding to some tyre mountain with a good tyre that has plenty of hard driving left in it.

Maybe you just like throwing money away? I'll spend my £7 getting a tyre repaired and spend the money saved on something enjoyable thanks all the same

Stefan
Old 06 November 2003, 10:43 PM
AR
Scooby Regular

Ozzy

Different opinion - just the point, it would be a shame if we thought the same thing! Thanks for expressing it politely.
Old 08 November 2003, 02:29 PM
JurassicWRX
Scooby Newbie

My experience with repairs has been good if they remove the tire and bond a patch on the inside.

The repairs where they insert a sticky plun in the puncture hole have been disasterous. The tire delaminated around the area and needed replacement.

One shop manager eplained that the plug is like putting your finger through a screen and it distorts the steel belt.