Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Tyre Choice WR Sport/RB5

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2003, 02:58 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

sounds like your geometry is out if both fronts keep wearing the inside edges, there have been reports of this sort of problem with the MY01's. Not just a tracking issue, other things to consider like camber and castor angles may be out.

Suggest you try Goodyear GSD-3s, Toyo Proxies T1's or Bridgestone S03's, Pirellis ok in the dry but pretty pants in the wet IMHO.

Hi have had two sets of the Goodyear GSD2s on a Scoob and they are fab, grip in the wet was just unbelieveable. and the Toyos and two other mota's.

If you are getting 22K out of a set of Pirelli's then you ain't driving hard enough either! should be more like 14K

[Edited by Paul Habgood - 10/2/2003 3:14:09 PM]
Old 02 October 2003, 02:48 PM
lucasax
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

I drive a W reg 2000 Impreza turbo with prodrive conversion (WR Sport 237bhp)

The car is fitted with 17inch speedlines as issued as part of the package by Prodrive and Pirelli P Zeros which they swear by. I had to replace the rears at about 9000miles due to very uneven wear...the insides were bald the outsides practically untouched. I have had the tires regularly rotated (tracking etc checked) since then and the original set left which are now on the front are also bald on the inside where as the centre and outside still have what I would consider as an impressive amount of tread left considering they have covered 22k on a car that often demands a lot.
The rears at present are left with about 4mm of even tread.

I need your advice..is there a suitable tyre available that might give more even wear? and on replacing do I want to put the new tyres on the front or back? I am under the impression that contrary to popular belief the best tyres should go on the back...does this apply to 4WD

Many Thanks
Old 02 October 2003, 03:00 PM
Fatz
Scooby Newbie

Only had my scoob for a few weeks so dont know how tyres are wearing, About to put new, f1's on today so will let you know.

I had a Toyato Aristo twin turbo (lexus 300 in UK) it sat very squat, camber on all four was very negative, no matter what tyre the all wore the same!... all four needed replacing at the same time which was abot 8000 miles and the rear tyres were something around the 285/45/18 cost me a packet....

Turns out the car was lowered and this was the best setup for handling.

Has your car been lowered?

Steve
Old 02 October 2003, 03:08 PM
lucasax
Scooby Newbie

Cool

Thanks Fatz and Paul......no car is not lowered and as for me not driving hard enough...thats debatable depends on my mood ...think that set lasted 22k due to fact I drove about 5k through europe in the spring....all fast motorway stuff..not too much on the twisty stuff.