Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Which tyres will I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 09 September 2003, 12:29 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Folks

I've obviously been having too much fun with my STI7, and now the times arrived for 4 new tyres.

Only problem is what do I get.

Pirelli P Zeros?
Don't think so, doubt they'll last long enough for me, probably too expensive as I'm a tight git aswell.

Bridgestone OEM?
Didnt much like these, bit squirmy in the wet.

Eagle F1?
Liked these, but they didn't last very long if I remember.

Toyo T1s?
Don't know much about these boys, bloke in work reckons they're pretty good, and better wearing than the F1's, but with just the same grip if not more.

Avon ZZ3?
Don't know anything about these, but again some say they're OK.

Now, i'm on the very illegal side of the law at the moment, and really need to do something soon, like before the weekend so would appreciate some decent advice.

All the best

Shaun

[Edited by urban - 9/9/2003 2:06:14 PM]
Old 09 September 2003, 03:55 PM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I thought the Toyo's were excellent. 2nd place to the Eagle F1. Wouldn't touch the others.

Cheers

TONY
Old 09 September 2003, 04:17 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

I think the Toyo's are very good in the dry and utterly **** in the wet. My faves were the F1's, but you're right they didn't last that long.

Pirelli's were OK, but again cr@p in the wet although don't remember them being as bad as my Toyo's.

Haven't tried any other tyres.

Stefan
Old 09 September 2003, 04:24 PM
wrrjones
Scooby Regular

thought of yokohama avs sports ive got em on mine and they are exellent ............ chris
Old 10 September 2003, 08:35 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Ah,

Anyone else care to comment, especially about the wet grip on the Toyo's?

Shaun
Old 10 September 2003, 09:51 AM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

I was totally happy with the toyo's in the wet on my MY01. World of difference from those crappy bridgestone oem things.

Steve
Old 10 September 2003, 10:43 AM
Dave-Battle
Scooby Regular

Had Toyo's on my 2000 Turbo and they felt a lot better than the SO3 Bridgestones, wet and dry. Wear was pretty good (plenty of tread left when I sold it 10,000 miles on) and the ride, surprisingly, improved when I fitted them. Also, didn't like the sidewall squirm of the SO3's which were not a patch, but much longer lasting than a set of SO2's I'd had.

Currently running 18" P Zero Neros on my STi and really like them a lot. Obviously the bigger, lighter wheels have helped but turn-in, steering feel and grip are all improved over the 17" Bridgestones.

Trending Topics

Old 10 September 2003, 10:58 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Looks like Toyo's then.

Just hope they perform as well as it sounds like they should.

Cheers Folks

Shaun
Old 10 September 2003, 11:32 AM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

Question

wrrjones - what size and what car? Also, what else have you had on? Thanks in advance.
Old 10 September 2003, 04:42 PM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

I think the Toyo's are very good in the dry and utterly **** in the wet
Most people would disagree with that, myself included. Very good in the dry and excellent in wet. Last years tyre test in EVO reported superb wet weather performance as well IIRC.
Old 10 September 2003, 04:48 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I agree with the above
My Toyos are up to 15k with some tread to spare. I thing i'll see towards 20k out of them
Old 10 September 2003, 05:23 PM
caz1562
Scooby Regular

Ditto with Brum, 15k already covered and theres more life left in them
Old 11 September 2003, 10:08 PM
Clubscene
Scooby Regular

Goodyear F1 GSD3's are the best tyre for the Scoob
Old 12 September 2003, 12:09 AM
jamesjones
Scooby Regular

Agree with Clubscene.

F1's are the best - good in the dry, excellent in the wet and quiet
Next Toyo's - good in the dry, very good in the wet, excellent through standing water (better than F1's)
Then Pirelli PZeros - good in the dry, average in the wet, noisy
Then Oem Bridgestone RE010 - average in dry and wet

As Toyos are about two-thirds the price of F1's I will go for them everytime unless I can get 4 17" F1's for £180 again.

J
Old 12 September 2003, 08:25 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

James,

Was it your birthday or something - 4 F1's for £180?

What year was that then?

Bloody hell!

Shaun
Old 13 September 2003, 10:00 AM
Dave R
Scooby Regular

If you haggle, Kwik Fit will do 4 215/40/17 GSD3's for 330 fitted.....
Old 16 September 2003, 12:31 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Red face

Toyo T1s?
Don't know much about these boys, bloke in work reckons they're pretty good, and better wearing than the F1's, but with just the same grip if not more.
Bloke in work officially talking out his ***

Toyos are very progressive but will finally break away around 20% sooner than F1's in the dry and I didn't even bother to test them so scientifically in the wet

Toyos particularly bad on damp (as opposed to wet) roads and having run Yokos, S02's, SO3's, Toyo Proxes (twice & 2nd time not through choice) and F1's, and I'd always go for F1's in future. World's apart on 16's

PS Toyos tramline more than F1's, but the trade off is that you don't get so many stones stuck in your Proxes as you do in F1's
Old 18 September 2003, 05:06 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

Dont touch the avons had two brown trouser moments with these when they broke away without warning.

Change To Toyos and whoever says they are crap in the wet is talking out of their ****

I dont know Sipie (Dont think EVO talk out of there ***) and ozzys knowledge base (I am sure it is better than mine) or what car they are puttin Toyo's on, but Toyos are quite a good bit cheaper than F1s and in the real world progressive break away is a much safer prospect than masess of grip then bu66er all
Old 19 September 2003, 12:27 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Talking

Matt

Hopefully I can clarify a bit

Change To Toyos and whoever says they are crap in the wet is talking out of their ****
Crap in comparison to F1's is a perfectly fair comment to make Matt IMHO

Have you tried taking 2 sets of 16" wheels, one lot shed with F1's with 5mm tread and another set of wheels shed with Toyos with 5mm tread. Both sets at exactly the same pressures and warmed up and then taking a 1 mile section of twisty road with standing water on it. Timing yourself and having a mate sitting in the back logging corner entry and exit speeds at each bend and noting when and where you say the grip is being lost. Done over 4 hours in exactly the same car and with identical road conditions other than a small drop in temperature over the 4 hours and the fact that comes out is TOYOS loose grip 20% earlier than the F1'S

Now I totally agree with

and in the real world progressive break away is a much safer prospect than masess of grip then bu66er all
but

I'm not a fan of having a car on the balance where it has actually lost grip and is effectively drifting on all bends. To me, adjusting a slide when faced with a deer or sheep in the middle of the road is slightly more precarious than just driving round it with 100% grip

The F1's are not as progressive as the TOYO's but they are still progressive and never once did they just let go with no warning. They still had their wee slidey moment but this moment happens alot later on than the TOYO's.....

And do remember that EVO's test was carried out using a Focus ST170 and hence why I bothered going to all the above hassle to see just what worked best on the Impreza.

That all came about after I went from Toyos to F1's and back to Toyos and couldn't believe the difference, so me being a sad anorak wanted to know what worked best on my car and not as tested on a FWD ford

The above may appear a totally sad and unecessary thing to do but seeing as I do drive quite hard (5000/7000) miles from a set of tyres then I wanted to know.

Cheers
Si
Old 19 September 2003, 05:23 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Wink

ppppffh, I think he made that up
Old 22 September 2003, 08:58 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Cool

ppppffh, I think he made that up
Sorry to disapoint you but I bought new MY00 16" wheels from 7foot on here about 2 months ago.... which were shod with exactly the same amount of TOYO tread as the Goodyears that I was getting rid of so seemed an ideal opportunity to put this to the test.

Road in question was the Lowries Den road into Penicuik for anyone that knows it

Trust me that the Toyos were nowhere near as good (knew that the minute they went on though )

Again I'll say that this only applies to 16's and have even heard that the SO3's seem to be spot on when on 17'S

Cheers you non-believers
Old 22 September 2003, 02:41 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Talking

Getting new 18 wheels and have a choice of tyres, thinking about the Goodyear F1's but what do they wear like? Also I havent seen any one make a mention of the Michelin Pilots, I have had these on a number of cars and really liked them, they are very progressive and wear ok too. Any one fitted these on a Scoob?
Old 09 December 2003, 11:44 AM
jamesjones
Scooby Regular

LOL.

It was the much talked about Crossroads Garage deal. I stuck at it and after 8 weeks was rewarded.

J

Edit to say:-
A friend has just bought 4 F1's off the company that appears to have been formed by them for about £300 i think. He did have a little hassle getting them but nothing like before.

[Edited by jamesjones - 9/12/2003 11:45:45 AM]