Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Flat tyre - gulp!

Search this Thread

Old 09 August 2003, 12:35 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had a bit of a problem with my front left tyre: Like it was completely flat (didn't register a pressure on my pump doofer gauge thing). I'm running 225x35x18" Bridgestone S03.
I only found out because of 'the noise' (is a piece of my car dragging along the ground?) and the fact that the tyre was so hot, the tread was tacky.

It seems that the valve had decided to fracture around its base. I've had the valve replaced and so far the tyre is holding air. I've also had a damn good look over it and can't find anything else wrong.

I've come to the conclusion that I can't tell by looking, the state of the tyres. I'll be checking them at least once a week from now on.

The tyre in question got very hot at least twice that I know of. Once on Thursday evening going home and once today going to the tyre place. I don't suppose there's group buy on tyres.....or am I worrying too much...?

PS: My S02 rear tyres will need replacing soon too....

Vindaloo.
Old 09 August 2003, 12:13 PM
jhdee
Scooby Regular

Assume the tyre was removed from the rim to replace the valve ???

jhdee
Old 10 August 2003, 06:50 AM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

It's taken you how long to learn the need for regular tyre pressure checking?

Hmmm, how long do you reckon you've been driving with the tyre flat? If I was in your shoes, I'd be tempted to chuck it. If it's got as hot as you say, it could be that the carcass has been damaged in ways you can't see.

If it's going to let you down, you can guarantee it'll do it at the time you need it most, and thus, while it's a bit of a waste of money, much better that than a big accident...!
Old 12 August 2003, 02:01 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Greasemonkey,

Tyres never used to be a problem for me. I'd stick air in them every now and then if they looked low or if I was expecting to transport a car full on a trip somewhere. Previous car didn't seem to notice too much.

The scoob tyre caught me by surprise. With 35 profile tyres and with them having rim protectors you can't see if it's flat or poke it to feel if it's flat. At least I now know the warning sounds of it starting to deflate.

Tyre still looks OK. It's already been checked over by a tyre place I tend to trust(ish). If it hadn't had the rim protector the tyre would have been completely shafted by the time I'd got there. I've put another 200 miles on it this w/e.

At the least it seems I can choose to replace the tyres after phoning around for a bit rather than hyperventilating over the bill :-)

Vindaloo.