Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Dissapointing F1s

Search this Thread

Old 08 July 2003, 03:51 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Runnning SO3s on 16s and they tramline alot..... worse now they are approx half worn. Was going to swap to F1s before reading this thread, now not so sure.....
Steve

I went from SO3's to Toyos to F1's and the F1's are easily the best out of the above by a long way. Any lurching will be due to a dodgy tyre wall perhaps or some fault on the car or possibly power being applied elsewhere IMHO.

I have felt this lurching and sorted it out by upping the rears to 32 and the fronts to 34/35psi...

Just in case you've somehow managed to avoid my opinions on tyres for 16's!!!!!

Cheers
Si

[Edited by SiPie - 8/7/2003 3:51:47 PM]
Old 29 July 2003, 12:45 AM
currymonster
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

A week ago i changed the standard fit 205/50 16 pirelli assymetricos to eagle F1 GSD3s. I know that you need to allow a tyre to scrub in, as i found with the last set of pirellis on the back of my GTI6 - they wer very slippy for a few hundred miles.

The issue I have seems to be the sidewall rigidity of the tyres. The care instantly had a lot more roll in corners and is very unsettled setting up for a corner. This isn't a grip issue caused by them being new - theyve done 450 miles.

I'm going to get the car checked by my garage, but I dont think the shocks will have magically expired at the same time as the tyres were fitted.

Its a lurchey feeling which shouldnt be there and after all the good feedback for them on here I'm very dissapointed. If it doesnt improve sharpish, it's 180 quid wasted and I'll change them for Toyo proxes T1-S.

I remeber another guy mentioning he reckoned they didnt have a rigid sidewall. Could it be a dodgy batch?

Any help gratefully accepted,
cal
Old 29 July 2003, 02:14 AM
Simon S3
Scooby Regular

I had the same on some Yokohamas on my Corrado VR6 a few years back, I perservered with them (they`d cost me about 300 quid after all) and treated them with little sympathy until I could replace them.

Got Toyo`s on my S3 and can`t fault them for the money.
Old 29 July 2003, 12:22 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Cool

What pressures are you running ?

Try 34psi front and 32psi rear....

I found they felt different initially but this may be due the huge increase in tread you will suddenly have (compared to the old tyres you just binned) and all tyres do take a while to bed in properly (not just scrub the shiny coating off) so hang in there

I'll eat my PC if you find them top be a worse tyre than your Toyos

[Edited by SiPie - 8/7/2003 4:34:05 PM]
Old 29 July 2003, 01:15 PM
currymonster
Scooby Regular

BTTT
Old 29 July 2003, 01:19 PM
currymonster
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Know what you mean, but this isnt a small tread difference, this is a very noticeable rolling of the car which upsets the balance when setting up for a corner. A change of direction and speed is accompanied by a lurch from the rear.
Even though I still have my Pirellis on the front, this isnt an issue of front versus rear grip because I havent driven it anywhere near the limit with the new tyres on, doh! Anyone else with a magic fix?

Cheers cal
Old 29 July 2003, 03:49 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Cal,

I don't like the sound of 'noticeable lurch'. It gives the impression that something's bust at the back end. Where were the tyres fitted? Maybe they jacked it wrong?

OTOH maybe the tyres are now superior to the rest of the suspension set-up :-)

Vindaloo.
Old 29 July 2003, 04:24 PM
jamesjones
Scooby Regular

I just had 4 F1's fitted yesterday by some monkeys at Stapletons in Stevenage. Not only did they quote me 2/3rds the actual price and leave soapy crap all over my wheels and tyres, but they put 36psi in the front and 34psi in the rears.

I was quite shocked by the mondeoesk attitude of the car. It certainly does wallow around. I checked the pressures when I got home and readjusted them to 34 front, 32 rear. I think the handling is noticably different because of the difference in tread depth that i was used to and the need to scrub them in.

I'll reserve my judgement until I've done between 500-1000 miles.

Anything has got to be better than my old Pirelli's. :-(

J
Old 29 July 2003, 04:27 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I found the new F1's take over 1k miles to get to their best......
Old 29 July 2003, 06:02 PM
currymonster
Scooby Regular

Ok I'll wait and see for a few more weeks, but if they dont improve their gone and I'll try some Toyos. The pirellis were ok in the dry (A bit of understeer), a bit slippy in the wet, but at least the car handled flat and neautralish. The roll now is totally unacceptable.

Of note treadwear rating on the pirellis was 140, its 280 on the F1s and grip rating on the pirellis was A , on the F1s its AA - stamped on the sidewalls of the tyres.

Cheers peeps cal
Old 29 July 2003, 09:01 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You'll find that there is only one ply in the sidewall, that is not normal, I found exactly the same, but have now adjusted to driving around it, they do after-all grip like hell!!
Up the pressures a tad!
Old 29 July 2003, 11:11 PM
Gizmo555
Scooby Regular

Got to agree. Noticable lurch from the rear on instant change of direction. Front much better since at 34psi but tried the rear at different pressures with little effect.

Still they do grip like ****.

Wouldn't buy them again though (if they don't get better).

Cheers

Mark
Old 29 July 2003, 11:26 PM
jamesjones
Scooby Regular

Only done 30 miles in them and driving home (sensibley) today in the greasy wet roads realised these were gonna be miles better then the Pirelli's. No slip at all. Normally, I'd have been all over the place at the slowish speed i was doing.

J
Old 29 July 2003, 11:42 PM
madmoog
Scooby Regular

Please keep up the postings on how they go. With all the posts at the moment I don't know what to choose at the weekend when I put 2 new fronts on my STi. It'll probably be a suck it and see scenario and hope to learn from it!

M.

p.s. P700Z 195/50/R15 tonight on my 205GTi were like warm sh*t on teflon!
Old 30 July 2003, 09:26 AM
computerangel
Scooby Regular

Well guys, think about this, For one thing your mixing tyres around which wont help at all.
I've had F1s on 5 different kinds of cars, 106 GTI, Mondeo V6, Focus 2.0, Imprezza Classic and now a Imprezza 5 dr ppp 03.
They are probably the best value for money you can get.
You really need to give them about 500 to 1000 miles to bed in properly. When i bought my 1st imprezza the dealer put on Continental on the front and left the standard Bridgestones on the rear. Well the car neraly swapped ends a few times and that wasn't with spirited driving either!!
Put all four on run them in with the correct tyre pressures then make a judgement.
Think about the Formula 1 guys, there tyres don't work properly for a little while until the release compound wears off, pro rata it would probably the time in percentage terms, just my 2p's worth.
Old 30 July 2003, 09:28 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

i only ever use f1s dont like anything else and never had a problem on any car they been on
Old 31 July 2003, 12:38 AM
currymonster
Scooby Regular

Yeah well they've got their 1000 miles to prove themselves, but as ive said before, its not a grip prob, its the roll which isn't just due to an xtra 6 mm of tread.
So if anyone in the carmarthen/swansea areas looking for a pair of just scrubbed in 205/50 16 F1 GSD3s in a few weeks, I'll probably be your man,
cheers peeps,
cal
Old 31 July 2003, 12:58 AM
Scoobydick
Scooby Regular

Toyos have a soft sidewall too and feel a bit rolly. Get Bridgestones if you want a stiff side wall, the trade off though is that they tramline like buggery.
Old 31 July 2003, 01:21 AM
currymonster
Scooby Regular

In that case I may stick with the pirellis, how bloody annoying it that! Grr,
cal
Old 31 July 2003, 12:42 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Currymonster

Will take these off your hands if at decent price and will pay for postage

Please let me know if you are selling

Cheers
Si
Old 31 July 2003, 01:26 PM
m1cassels
Scooby Regular

Currymonster,

I started a thread "2 new F1's now handles like a Volvo" a few weeks back. The title says it all and sounds to be exactly the same problem you have. Particularly disturbing when on the motorway when if you move too quickly it sways all over. Have now done nearl 1000 miles and no different. Tried different pressures, now settled for 32 front, 36 rear and a bit better, but nothing like the old Bridgestones.

Over hyped if you ask me.

Old 31 July 2003, 01:45 PM
MarkT
Scooby Regular

Second Scoobydick - Toyos the same - I think people rave about these tyres (F1s & Toyos) in the lower profile sizes where u do't notice this as much if at all. I have Toyos in 215/40/17 & they are great, but used to have them in 15" on an MR2 & they were roly poly - had to blow them up harder.
Old 31 July 2003, 07:30 PM
currymonster
Scooby Regular

Yeah well their a lot worse than the pirellis confidence wise, if the cars lurching abut, it doesnt matter if they grip more, it still gives you a brown trouser moment!

I'll have a look at the evo tyre test. My cousins running dunlopsport sp 8080E 225/45 17 which hes quite impressed with grrrr, decision s decisions ,
cal
Old 31 July 2003, 07:43 PM
Scoobydick
Scooby Regular

I reckon the Toyo softer walls create the more progressive predicable breakaway on the limit of grip and therfore inspire confidence. The old bridgestones would let go very suddenly and try to lift off oversteer you into the nearest hedge. I did not dare push too hard after a couple of pant filler situations on those tyres
Old 01 August 2003, 12:11 AM
swansea scooby doo
Scooby Regular

I'm running on Dunlop sport 8080E 225/45/17 (currymonsters cuz) and am very pleased. Great grip and good tyre wear. Will replace with same when time comes.
Tony
Old 03 August 2003, 09:52 PM
ChrisS/P1
Scooby Regular

Just replaced my P Zero's with a set of F1 GSD3's a couple of days ago. Got the 215/40/17's.

Obviously only tested them in the dry so far, but I can say they are only very slightly worse then the PZero's in the dry. And that's bearing in mind that they haven't even been scrubbed in yet.

Have to say, I haven't noticed any lurching in the corners, but it does seem to have a bit more oversteer when you push it. You can feel the backend trying to break away.

Can't wait to compare them to the PZero's in the wet.

I think the slight downgrade in dry performance, balanced with the reported massive improvement in the wet, makes them a good buy.

Chris
Old 05 August 2003, 10:54 AM
swaussie
Scooby Regular

noticed the same with my F1 GSD's. 225/45/17. It feels kinda wobbly at high speed and seems to take a fraction of a second to change direction like the tyre is rolling onto its side? Found it very unnerving at first but now just accept it and they do seem to work very well. I have done over 2000 km on them and have played with pressures, have 35psi frount and 33 rear. Grip is amazing, in the wet I am sure they have more than the bridgestones had in the dry..
Old 05 August 2003, 12:40 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Running on 16" rims, at first I thought they were massively underinflated, but checked and were still at 32psi.
Not anywhere near as good as the S-02s that I had before.

You do expect a bit more movement with new tyres, but the sidewalls on the F1s are really soft, which probably doesn't help with the feel of the tyre.

I will up the pressure a bit, but am concerned at over-inflating them!
Old 06 August 2003, 12:33 AM
kwakman
Scooby Regular

Id concur with these findings. went from Toyo T1s to F1 GSD3s and thought the turn in had suffered somewhat. Went out to 'check the runway' at my local flying club and found that he car certainly understeered more than it had doen previously. It seems to be getting better the more miles I put on them but Im still unconvinced they will be better than the Toyos, which is odd given the way they have been raved about.

Always hard to compare like with like of course, given we are taking off a near-slick and putting on a well-treaded tyre.
Old 06 August 2003, 01:00 PM
jaycee
Scooby Regular

I've gotta agree too, totally disappointed with F1's. Grip has certainly improved but the "feel" is sh!te. Much happier with SO2's.

Jason

Quick Reply: Dissapointing F1s