Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Michelin Pilot Primacy?

Search this Thread

Old 16 July 2003, 01:52 PM
:Mike:
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Just wondered if anyone had any experience of Michelin Pilot Primacy tyres on a Scoob, ideally on 16" wheels.

They available for pretty good prices at the moment. How do they compare to Toyo Proxes / Goodyear F1s
Old 16 July 2003, 02:54 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Wink

They will last longer than F1's and Toyos and slightly longer than SO3's but your car will be binned in a hedge due to lack of grip so all a bit irrelevant in the long run

Cheers
Si
Old 16 July 2003, 11:23 PM
:Mike:
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Ok, maybe I'll take those off the shortlist then

I just don't wanna get blinkered. I know everyone raves about F1s, Proxes and SO2/3s, but there are a lot of tyre manufacturers, wanna make sure I'm not missing a bargain from on of them...
Old 17 July 2003, 10:55 AM
jhdee
Scooby Regular

SiPie -- some strong views on tyres

Sorry but I've got to disagree with you. It depends on what you need to achieve. If you want ultimate grip then you are probably correct but if you want a good tyre that lasts under normal road use then there is nothing wrong with Michelin. My scooby does far too much mileage to use the softer tyres you mention so I use Michelin but its still not binned in the hedge !!!
Maybe I drive like an old f@rt or maybe I prefer the challenge of slightly less grip

Mike --- it depends on what you need to achieve. I've used Michelins on all sorts of vehicles for many years with very good results.If you need ultimate performance then you should go with SiPie's suggestions. However if you do high mileage or need to look after the pennies then there is nothing much wrong with Michelins. Can't comment on the Premacy but the Pilot Sports on my scooby are just fine. Horses for courses !!!
Old 17 July 2003, 01:06 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Wink

If you need ultimate performance then you should go with SiPie's suggestions.
I hear what you are saying jhdee re the 'horses for courses' and do agree with you....but I'll ask one question

What kind of car did you buy and why ?

If you are a motorway plodder the the Michelins will do the job... but so will a Vectra/Audi/Laguna etc

Cheers
Si

PS Jhdee
SiPie -- some strong views on tyres
The reason for the above is simple.... I need new tyres every 3/4 months and have watched the debate going backwards and forewards on Scoobynet re "which should I choose for my Impreza ?"

Having bought all the obvious choices (whatever was deemed flavour of the month on scoobynet mostly) over the last 2 years, I feel happy to pass on my *cough* strong views to help out you guys

I drive around 25k a year (most of this for pleasure and relatively hard driving) and feel strongly that most people on scoobynet go on and on about this mod and that mod etc but surely the best and most important mod of all are the 4 bits of rubber that are the only things holding the car on the road It just amazes me that people buy an impreza (obviously for performance) and then some spend thousands on mods and then moan about forking out £400 for new boots

Some more strong views on tyres

PS all IMHO only

Old 17 July 2003, 07:10 PM
jhdee
Scooby Regular

SiPie -- I bought the scooby as it was the best tool for the job. I drive around 35k miles a year all over Europe all types of roads and if they are motorways I certainly don't plod Unfortunately, this is nearly all business mileage so my scooby is treated as a tool not a pleasure toy
The majority will be horrified to hear it is absolutely standard and doesn't get Swissoiled every weekend -- flame suit on Having the scooby does make this type of mileage more interesting though !!!

Seriously - my only disagreemnet with your strong views was
but your car will be binned in a hedge due to lack of grip so all a bit irrelevant in the long run
---- like I say horses for courses

Take care

jhdee

PS had already seen your other post - hence strong views

Old 18 July 2003, 11:05 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

100% Agree Jhdee

Cheers
Old 19 July 2003, 12:12 AM
Lee uk300
Scooby Regular

I find F1's to be a harder compound than the Michelins.