Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

brake fluid change?

Search this Thread

Old 15 July 2003, 01:59 PM
Alberick
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was thinking to upgrade my front discs & pads in the near future and also put Goodridge brake hoses all around.

Do do I have to change brake fluid with uprated brake hoses or can I run with the normal fluid?
What fluid is standard and, if I have to go to another brake fluid, what is recommended?

I do mostly motorway and some quick blasts over country lanes where I need more stopping power....
Old 15 July 2003, 03:19 PM
lesmess
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have just fitted pagid 8 groove disks and rs4.2 pads to my MY01 WRX. Far better than the std set up. PS Midland Impreza have a good offer on at the moment for these items. I have also fitted goodridge hoses and dot 5.1 fluid. It should take three to four hours max to do the whole job yourself and i would rate the technical side as fairly easy.

As said previously my car has now the brakes it should have had in the first place.
Old 15 July 2003, 03:28 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The main reason to upgrade the brake fluid is they have a higher boiling point than the OE stuff. When you get brake fade (pedal to the floor stuff), it's usually because the fluid has boiled.

I never did this with my OE brakes and since I need to bleed the system when I had my Godspeed kit fitted, I thought I'd just use some higher-spec stuff anyway. It was only about £5 per bottle.

I did have the Goodridge hoses fitted too, but I can't say I've noticed any difference with them. I would almost say they're a waste of money, but maybe I'm missing something

Stefan
Old 15 July 2003, 09:19 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts
the aeroquip hoses do not offer any increase in braking power as such........the difference is in the pedal feel and the fact that you are using 100% of the pressure that you apply at the pedal on the caliper!! with the std rubber hoses (particuarly when they are a few years old) then you get a "%" of the pedal effort wasted in expanding the rubber hose!!
most people don't notice any difference because they do a number of upgrades at the same time and put the whole improvement down to the discs/ pads/ calipers/ etc...when in reality even on a std car you will see a good improvement.........

dot 5.1 is NOT a performance upgrade and normally offers no performance benefit over most dot4's apart from moisture repellence (simply mis-sold by various companies that should or don't know better).......this spec of fluid is not required in a Subaru system as long as you flush the brake fluid every 2-3 yrs.........if you do track days then you should really flush after every one.......
hope this is of help,
alyn - asperformance.com

[Edited by stockcar - 7/15/2003 9:20:12 PM]