Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

EBC..good stuff?

Search this Thread

Old 26 May 2003, 04:21 PM
Alberick
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Defo need new discs & pads. car has done 40k and brakes begin to lose their efficiency somehow.

My first question would be, how good is the EBC stuff..was thinking to fit EBC street rotos all around with EBC red stuff and fitting Goodridge hoses...somebody has experience with this setup?
Are the original Subaru calipers up to the job, or do I have to change those too?

Secondly, when fitting this setup, what is it all about brake fluid? Do I have to fill up another with another DOT fluid?

Oh, another question is can I get Red stuff pads for the rear? I could not find them in any online shop, example Jap innovations has gree nstuff all round, but red stuff only available for the front...
Old 26 May 2003, 06:05 PM
STi Paul
Scooby Regular

Hi Alberick

Not on a Scooby, but had the EBC set-up on my previous Pug 206GTi
Put Redstuff pads in 1 week before a trackday, to bed them in, half way through afternoon, the pads were through to the metal.
Not very long lasting at all!!!!

Just put Ferodo DS2500 on my STi, very impressed with stopping power. Try these first m8.
Old 26 May 2003, 06:41 PM
richiewong
Twatful

Keep away from the EBC's on Scoobies.
Very impressed by the Ferodo DS2500's. Also try Pagid disc and pads, which seem to be a popular upgrade retaining the original calipers.
Stainless steel brakelines and dot 5.1 fluid should also make a big difference.
Old 26 May 2003, 09:28 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Fitted Green Stuff all round on my hill climb/road STi V3 this year. Don't stop any quicker, but don't fade either! Wouldn't bother again!!
Graham.
Old 27 May 2003, 07:43 AM
Alberick
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the replies, so EBC is no good....
What's the best place to buy Pagid or Ferodo stuff? You all mention Ferodo pads, do they also make discs for Imprezas?
Maybe I'm wrong but I imagine it's always best to stay with one manufacturer when fitting aftermarket discs & pads..?
Or is there a good combination, like Ferodo pads with Black Diamond discs etc..?

Also, what brake fluid does a MY99 usually have?

Old 27 May 2003, 08:54 PM
highlander68k
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I found out that the EBC are no good, only after I had been told by lots of people that they were good!!

The reports from people with Pagids are good. Although I don't know anyone who's had them for more than a couple of months.

Old 28 May 2003, 01:52 PM
SiHethers
Scooby Regular

Hi Alberick

I have exactly the setup you describe in your first post, track turbogroove discs with redstuff v2 pads, braided hoses all round and dot5 fluid. Standard rears and standard front four pot calipers.

This setup is a lot better than standard because it doesn't fade very easily, pedal feel is much better, and there's hardly any brake dust.

However, I think you have to be very careful bedding them in, to achieve any sort of durability in the pads. When new the lips on the disc grooves are very sharp and would probably take off large chunks of the pads if used heavily before some light wear develops. I was gentle for 600 miles and I'm still on the first set of pads 10000miles later (no trackdays, but heavy road use). Initial bite is weak (especially when cold) but with the braided hoses progressively more pressure on the pedal gives you more and more stopping power, when warm, without fade. They are, however, also noisey.

EBC has had some unfavourable coverage on here, and I crapped myself when I read it all after just forking out on this lot, but overall, from 10 months use, I'm reasonably happy, especially seeing as they were cheap.

I'll need new pads in the next 2000 miles and I'm toying with ferrodo or pagid blue.

Cheers

Simon
Old 28 May 2003, 02:01 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Had the drilled and grooved EBC discs with Red pads-Crap!

Changed to green and was equally disgusted. Stay clear of these.

Took them off and had great pleasure in binning them all!!
Old 28 May 2003, 02:05 PM
Alberick
Scooby Regular

What about EBC Turbo Groove discs & Ferodo DS2500 pads? I'm not looking for an ultimate brake system, just a minor improvement to the standard setup but one that has a little more bite than the original...and also creating less brake dust.
Of course, along with that, I would go for stainless brake hoses.

I would be interested to hear other people's experience in various brake setups and how good/bad this setup was/is...?
Old 28 May 2003, 02:53 PM
HOUSEQUAKE
Scooby Regular

I had greenstuff pads on my uk spec, result...warped disks after three weeks.

Upgreded to turbo groove disks and redstuff pads, no improvement in stopping power IMHO.

Looking for a better upgrade myself for my STI.
Old 29 May 2003, 01:31 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

EBC are only good for reduced brake dust. Having clean alloys is no compensation when your sat in the middle of the roundabout. Waste of money all round mate. I wish I'd have saved the money and gone for a better upgrade straight away.
Old 29 May 2003, 01:41 PM
The Gentleman
Scooby Regular

I had Pagid Grp N, Braided & Dot 5 plus fast road pad (Pagid), Had them on for 10 months, pads now need doing (10,000), but I have now warped the disk.

However think the warp was due to poor braking tec, so down to me as a good friend has had the same for simular time and still going well.

Scoobysport fitted and supplied org. but I have now found the pads and disks a bit cheaper though Friction Workshop (218.45 incl vat) not fitted or with fliud or stainless bits.

These brakes a great inprovement on standard, and they have never faded. I would recommend this to anyone - if you find them cheaper let me know!

PS friction workshop - 01474 825155, Simon.

Wish you best of luck, enjoy!

Justin
Old 29 May 2003, 02:39 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

EBC + Scoob = Rubbish. end of.

they are absymal brakes - got through 3 seperate sets. first 2 warped on the way home, (with greens) last set didn't (reds) but they also didn't stop the car either and lasted just over 3k miles

utter utter cr4p.
Old 30 May 2003, 12:13 PM
Alberick
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all your replies and advice.
I decided to go for the Ferodo pads as I found a local dealer who offers them at a reasonable price. (149 Euro Front & 193 Rear, BTW is it normal that the rears are more expensive than Fronts or is this simply a misunderstanding??).

Now for the discs... from the same dealer I got offered discs from "Sandtler" (www.sandtler.de if you're interested). They look good but not sure how they perform, price is ok.

So, my questions : how good are the DS2500 for the OEM Subaru discs?
I also got offered Prodrive discs from my Subaru dealer (front only) at 450 Euro for the pair (rather expensive....IMO), anybody heard about those discs before?

Tks,
Ramon
Old 30 May 2003, 03:57 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

A mate of mine likes EBC Green Stuff pads on his Westie, no horror stories there. Apparently they're liked by Westie owners. Never tried them on the Scoob, but I have tried the "Group N+" option which includes Pagid 421 pads and Pagid rotors. I'm pleased with them and they stood up to track day usage reasonably well.

If finances allow - consider an upgrade to a "BIG" brake kit. If it's a moderate upgrade you're looking for, then the Pagid option is pretty decent.
Old 30 May 2003, 04:41 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I have EBC Turbo Groove front & rear, Also Goodridge hoses all round, Greenstuff @ the Rear & Redstuff up front, Really impressed with the Discs peformance & the green stuff @ the rear, But not to impressed with the redstuff, Waiting for them to wear a little lower & then in the Bin, Been on this setup for about a year & swapped to Red stuff half way through, Cars running 282 Bhp (last rolling road) & has some pig most days, so then do the brakes, No probs so far with Discs

Dean