Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

OK, I admit defeat......

Search this Thread

Old 14 February 2003, 04:15 PM
AJT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There was me thinking I could save myself some money by replacing the disks & pads myself only I have now developed the following two faults:

Offside disc doesn't seem to sit true on the hub - I've refitted it three times but I still get the uneven breaking when the disc appears to push the pads at a 'high point'. No visible signs of disc warp, bedded the pads in as per instructions. Has anyone heard if they can be warped?

I'm missing (was before I started) the offside metal retaining clip that goes over the pads and stops everything from rattling about. As a result I have a nice knocking noise that stops when I break. I assume the clip combined with the disc alignment is the problem but does anyone know if the clips are available from anywhere but dealers?

Any advice/help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Alex
Old 14 February 2003, 10:52 PM
AJT
Scooby Regular

Dealer told me this afternoon that the spring clips that hold/stop the pads from rattling only come with Subaru pads. Aftermarket ones don't have them (inc the Mintex ones I've fitted). They said I can't even get the clips separately.

Anyone got any ideas?

Alex
Old 15 February 2003, 11:59 AM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Breakers!

Have you sorted out the disk?
Where in Surrey are you?

Iain.

[Edited by Dyney - 2/15/2003 12:01:37 PM]
Old 15 February 2003, 12:38 PM
AJT
Scooby Regular

Iain - I'm in Frimley/Camberley.

Disc is just as bad. Can't work out if it's warped or not true on the hub. Now seems to be a 'scuff' appearing on the disc where it's hitting the pad. Sounds quite bad when driving along - definately the disc hitting the pad, as the noise goes when I break, then comes back as the pads get pushed away from the disc again. After about 60mph and a couple of minutes the pads clear the 'high spot' so the noise goes (until I break again of course).

Where's the nearest breakers then?

Maybe you could give me a bell on the mobile 07778 880612 as I've got to go and feed my son his lunch now.

Catch you later maybe.

Thanks Iain.

Alex.

Old 15 February 2003, 01:25 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Alex, I'm sure Dyney can sort you, but it obviously needs fixing. It sounds like the disc is not seated properly - you need to take a drill and wire brush to the hub and get it spotlessly clean. Smear with copper grease to stop further corrosion.

Only other prob you may have is a warped disc. If it's been rubbing on the pad as you drive it will get very hot indeed. Hope it's okay

Richard.
Old 15 February 2003, 05:03 PM
AJT
Scooby Regular

Iain - had the discs inspected this afternoon. Diagnosis is they have high spot. Small nick on edge of disc might suggest they've been dropped. I'll get them replaced through co. that supplied them.

Phoned several breakers in/around Surrey - seems no-one is crashing Imprezas which is a good thing of course. Down side is no spares at all so I'll have to buy another set of pads to obtain said retaining clip. Extra pads will have to stay in the garage as spares.

Unless any Scoobynetters have a spare clip lying around in their garage ?

Alex
Old 15 February 2003, 05:08 PM
AJT
Scooby Regular

Richard - cheers m8 - face of hub was first thing I checked. I almost wished it was that. Looks like new discs reqd.

Haven't got a retaining clip lying around have you ? :-)
Old 16 February 2003, 08:15 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Alex,
Sorry mate, been a bit busy over the weekend!!

I have a list of Subaru breakers that may interest you, I shall mail you a copy

Iain.