Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

HELP ON TYRES !?*!?*!?*

Search this Thread

Old 09 February 2003, 07:30 PM
Wol
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

My '98 5 door needed some new rubber on the front in September '02, and since done about 3000 miles. I replaced the old Potenza 010's with some Bridgestone Potenza RE 720's, because I found the old ones were following the white lines! I had no problem until a couple of weeks ago when cornering a roundabout at speed the back-end lost it, but I did manage to catch it! My girlfriend swore it was my driving, but what would she know!!!!!

Now on reading all the posts, I'm not so sure!

What do I put on the back now, as they to need replacing? Should I follow on with 720's, or flog the 2 front ones to my mate with a Scoob, and replace the whole lot with something else, and if so what?
Old 09 February 2003, 08:49 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Goodyear Eagle F1 (GSD3)!!!
Old 10 February 2003, 04:12 PM
greg.g
Scooby Regular

Location: Faster than a quickshift.... get yourself a bionic arm ;)

You could try toyo proxes t1s.
Most people seem to like them.
You can pick up 215/40/17 for £68 each from mytyres.net
I have not used this company but their is another thread
about them.
I have ordered a new set of wheels with toyos so i hope
they are as good as everyone says

Greg

Old 10 February 2003, 07:30 PM
Wol
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the information, any views are much appreciated!
Old 12 February 2003, 11:16 AM
KSY
Scooby Regular

This is how I've written off a scoob - F1's on the front, and potenzas (or P-zeros, dont remember) on the rear. Roundabout. I didn't catch it. 35mph. Write-off.

DO CHANGE ALL 4 TYRES TO THE SAME MAKE&MODEL you lucky man!
Old 12 February 2003, 01:09 PM
JohnS

Exclamation

I'd quickly get at least the same tyres on the rear as you have on the fronts.

What you have is a car with completely different grip levels/handling characteristics at the front from the rear.

The new tyres probably have more grip in damp conditions, being newer, so I would put these on the back just now.

Otherwise, as it seems you have already found out and had a lucky escape from, in hard/emergency use conditions the car can swap ends very quickly indeed. For 99.9% of the time, you'll be OK, but you can never be sure on that wet bumpy corner, or when another car/something pulls out in front of you.

It is highly recommended to change all 4 tyres at once. You may think you are saving cash by getting rid of only "part worn" tyres, but compare the value of two 75% worn tyres (£20 perhaps ?) with that of the excess on your insurance policy.

You can achieve even tyre wear by rotating the wheels front to back every 6 months of 6,000 miles or so on the same side (most Scooby tyres are directional). Not only does this extend the time between replacements, but ensures that at all times you have tyres of equal levels of grip on all 4 corners.

John
Old 12 February 2003, 08:29 PM
Lang
Scooby Regular

I'd agree with everyone else, change all four tyres at the same time with the same make/model.

I've got a 97 turbo wagon which had different tyres on the front and rear when i bought it, and it was scary to say the least, i opted for F1's GSD2's and it made a world of difference. OK, you part with £350 but its better than parting with your car !!
Old 14 February 2003, 07:39 AM
DaveR
Scooby Regular

I had a very similar experience myself last week. I drive a tuned MY02 with 12K on the clock. Replaced the front two tyres only at about 11K with awesome F1 GSD3s, but left the standard Bridgestones on the back.

Going round a wet bend last week, maybe had the revs too high as well, but in short I hit a small change in road surface and lost the rear end big style, ended up plowing into the nearside curb before correcting the oversteer.

Luckily it only cost me some dings in both nearside wheels, and I'll need to get my wheel alignment sorted out. But it could have been much worse!!!! [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

New tyres for the back coming up!!!!
Old 15 February 2003, 05:13 PM
j0hnn0
Scooby Regular

i went with what everybody said on the forums and got my self 4 goodyear f1s definitly good got me out of some messes i thought i was never coming back form