Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Rear discs for a MY99 RB5

Search this Thread

Old 01 January 2003, 09:21 PM
Marin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any ideas on prices for OE or aftermarket rear discs. I'm not after an upgrade just a sensible price for replacements.

Cheers.
Old 02 January 2003, 11:12 AM
Fat Blerk
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I just changed the rear discs and pads on my RB5 WR - there was a problem with the pads - the calipers on the back are different from the standard uk car!!! The discs and pads were dirt cheap (used pagid grooved discs and fast road pads) however, the calipers (although looking the same at first glance) are a SLIGHTLY different shape inside.

Fortunately, rather than going to a main Subaru dealer and bending over for a set of pads, the place I went to had a pile of second hand calipers and put me on a pair of '99 WRX calipers for £20 each.....

So..... the moral is..... be careful with what you buy..... the mechanic who fitted mine was gobsmacked that the standard MY99 pads wouldn't fit...... maybe it was just my car, but I doubt it!
Old 02 January 2003, 04:53 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face

Hmm, that's interesting.

When my car was in for it's last service, they told me the pads needed changing on the rears (still running the originals) and they quoted me the same cost for std UK MY99 rears.

I'd be shocked if all RB5's had different calipers. It wouldn't make sense unless they had 444 sets of calipers they couldn't use anywhere else

Stefan
Old 03 January 2003, 09:12 AM
Fat Blerk
Scooby Regular

Those are my thoughts exactly......

However, my local main dealer wanted over £100 for the rear pads alone - their total price for discs and pads for the back (including VAT and fitting) was OVER £400.

I ended up paying less than £200 - including the new calipers!

The pagid fast road pads for the back were only £45 - the grooved discs £100........

I'm not convinced that I would have HAD to go to Subaru for the back pads, but I've already saved a fortune by swapping to the WRX calipers, so I'm quite chuffed with it!!!!
Old 03 January 2003, 09:17 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

I know what you mean, I need front discs, pads and rear pads and was quoted over £600. The price for std front pads was over £100, just like the rears. I then phoned around and found them for as little as £60 inc. VAT.

Looks like I'll go for DS2500 pads all round on OEM or Group N discs OR take the plunge and go for a big brake upgrade from Godspeed or Hi-Spec.

I see Banshee Motorsport advertise a Hi-Spec 6-pot kit for £999 in the Scoobynert Shop.

Stefan
Old 04 January 2003, 04:16 PM
Fat Blerk
Scooby Regular

Cool

Stefan,

I've just taken a set of Prodrive (alcon) calipers and 330mm discs off my RB5 and replaced them with the old 4 pots and Pagid discs and Pagid blue pads.

I am astonished to say that the brakes are actually BETTER now than when I had the huge brakes!!!

Again - thats a £295 setup compared with £1500!!!!!!

Graham at Midland Impreza is the chap who sorted it all out for me. He's worth a call for brake parts etc. (www.midland-impreza.com)
Old 04 January 2003, 04:56 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info, I'll give Graham a call on Monday.

How do you find the noise? The one good thing with the OEM setup is it doesn't make any noise either from cold or under heavy braking. What sorts of noises/feel does the Pagid setup give you?

Have you put the Alcons up for sale? Someone recently sold a 7mth-old kit for £700 on ebay.

You would get a very good price on just the calipers if the discs and pads are worn out. Even if you didn't like them, there's plenty of folk on here that rave about them.

Stefan
Old 04 January 2003, 10:42 PM
Fat Blerk
Scooby Regular

Stefan,

I've sold the old kit already - didn't have to wait long....

The new stuff feels FANTASTIC with the braided hoses I had fitted for the Alcons. The initial bite of the brakes is brilliant, even when stone cold - this is what was lacking with the prodrive kit.

Noise wise, they have given me a couple of loud squeals when first used from cold, but otherwise have been dead quiet!!!

I'd advise anyone to get braided hoses - the pedal feel is incredible, even to an amateur muppet like me.

Tell Graham it was the geezer with the RB5/ prodrive brakes when you call him - might be worth some commission ;-) ---- plenty of mods queued up there waiting for some cash......