Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Avon tyres anyone tried them ???

Search this Thread

Old 15 December 2002, 04:16 PM
griffm
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

As subject, anyone tried or has experience of Avon tyres ie zz3 205/50/16s (£78.60).
Goodyear F1s (gsd-3) at £87.10 seem to be a good choice closely followed by Continental sportcontact £78.10.
Any comments appreciated
Old 15 December 2002, 05:03 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

I have them on my Zetec-S and they are fantastic. Best ones i've tried, and brilliant price. And they're very good in the wet!!

Andy
Old 15 December 2002, 05:06 PM
griffm
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply SiDHEaD. I am awaiting a few more responses.
Old 15 December 2002, 05:09 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

I've not had Avons, but have heard nothing but bad things about them...

For the extra £9 per tyre, go for the F1s - a MUCH better tyre

Just my 2p

I've got F1s on my Scoob - brilliant!!

Dan
Old 15 December 2002, 05:29 PM
griffm
Scooby Regular

Cheers ScoobyDoo555,
They do seem like a good choice.
Old 15 December 2002, 05:36 PM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

Had Avons on my GSI Vectra, were absolute **** for the first 3-400miles, did get better though and were definately good in the wet..
However, that was in a 200bhp front wheel drive car that handled like a boat,i never really had to test them out fully .. not sure wether they would be my choice for the scoob.
Rob
Old 15 December 2002, 05:36 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

If the ZZ3's are anything like the ZZ1's then dont touch them as all you will do is end up in a hedge.
the ZZ3's also came last in Evo's tyre test, not a good sign IMHO but the Goodyear or the Toyo's are a better buy and these are proven to keep you on the road where as i doubt that many sane subaru owners would put Avon tyres on there cars due to lack of grip and ability in both wet and dry conditions.

Tony
Old 15 December 2002, 05:38 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

I havent tried F1's but I have tried the shyte pirelli's that came with the car and also tried dunlops. Found them to be utter ****!!!

My car's only 115 bhp, FWD - which is why i pointed out it isnt a Scoob. I doubt I will put them on my scoob when i get it, but from my personal experience, on my current car, they're great.

You get a nice screech with them when cornering at high speed sideways too
Old 15 December 2002, 05:51 PM
Luke
BANNED

Do a search on Avon tyres..... Dont know about the new ones . But the old ones get a "Dangerous" award...................
Old 15 December 2002, 08:32 PM
jaf01uk
Scooby Regular

I had a set of ZZ1's in 205/40-17's on my gti-6 (supplied with alloys) and they were absolutely rubbish bordering on dangerous, almost took them off. They did get slightly better with a couple of thousand miles! on them but could not recommend them to anyone. Although I would say that apparently the new ZZ3's re better but I have no experience (once bitten and all that) of them,
Old 15 December 2002, 08:35 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

I had a set of the ZZ1's on one of my old cars, IMO they were deadly, I disliked them so much that I had them removed within a matter of hours of putting the new wheels/tyres on the car, and I gave them away.

Go with the Goodyear.

Ian
Old 15 December 2002, 08:36 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

SiDHEaD

Are you trying to get the bloke killed!! AVON Tyres and cr@p IMHO. I had them on my old 205 Gti and I would never buy them again even if I was guaranteed a sh@g from Brittany Spears......... OK maybe I would
Old 15 December 2002, 08:45 PM
Gav
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

had a set of zz1's on me old motor (corsa 1.2 16v). it only had 70 bhp and still when it was wet the car just slid, even at low speeds!!! no chance they will be coming near the scoob...

go with the goodyears, they're in a different league to avons...
Old 15 December 2002, 09:26 PM
Many Humbug Returns
Scooby Regular

avon zz1 were lethal on my integrale. Seeemed like they were made of nylon, not rubber, wet weather performance was criminal.
Old 15 December 2002, 09:32 PM
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

I had em and they nearly killed me, they seemed to have a very hard compound hence f**k all grip, if you want to live life on the edge (sideways) then buy em, I upgraded to Goodyear F1's and the difference was HUGE, it now grips the road.......
Old 17 December 2002, 02:52 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs down

Yup theyre dangerous especially in the wet, but once youve mastered the lethal understeer n breakout oversteer they produce ie slow in, boot out, u can have massive fun with 4wheel drifts at higher speeds They are lethal new, alot better with a few K on them. Theyre fine in the dry if a bit 'twitchy' on the limit. So get F1's or Toyos, they seem to be choice.
Old 17 December 2002, 06:24 PM
griffm
Scooby Regular

Goodyear F1s it is then, Thanks for all the replies.
Old 17 December 2002, 06:24 PM
Prodrive Legacy
Scooby Regular

Sorry, but i have to disagree! I have avon ZV1's on my scooby and find them excellent. Really good in the wet and nice and progressive in the dry. The wear rate is quite high, but i get about 6000 miles out of a set, which is average for me.

Can people define ****e! Are you talking braking, wear, cornering etc. Maybe they suit different driving styles.

Maybe the tyres need different tyre pressures to work?

I also use the zv1's in my pug rally car as a wet tyre, with great results.

Maybe..i could have better perf from another tyre but for a 205/60/15 at 45 quid all in i can't see anything getting close. I have used these tyres for a while now on a range of cars, as do my mates. What am i missing?

The only downside is the wear rate!
Old 17 December 2002, 06:42 PM
STI MAN
Scooby Regular

ZZ1's should have the following imprinted into the sidewall

PLAYGROUND SWING OR TUGBOAT USE ONLY

Old 17 December 2002, 06:45 PM
Prodrive Legacy
Scooby Regular

Very good! I'll remember that one next time i'm asked about crap tyres!
Old 17 December 2002, 07:34 PM
jaf01uk
Scooby Regular

Prodrive Legacy, The ZV1 was/is a completely different tyre to the ZZ1, and going by your wear rate have significantly more grip, mine were still looking fresh with about 9 thousand miles on them! My experience of the ZZ1 was as part of a 17" upgrade on a Gti-6 and suffered terrible understeer and snap oversteer, very poor turn in, all at speeds which were easily handled by the previous Yoko's. They did improve with 2 or 3 thousand miles on them but were still by far the worst tyres I have experienced in 20 years of driving ( apart from a set of ATS remoulds on a Renault 19-16V Dont ask!?)
Gary
Old 18 December 2002, 10:43 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Avon ZZ1 = Hedge Jumpers.

They have zero wet grip, not great dry grip and let go without any warning. IMHO the most dangerous tyres I've ever had on one of my cars (on when bought it) and never would again. Changed when still looked new for F1's which I've always liked, never looked back. So much more fun to be had in your scoob with tyres that compliment the car!
Old 18 December 2002, 06:37 PM
Prodrive Legacy
Scooby Regular

Avon do 4 tyre compounds AA A B C
AA being the softest and C beeing the hardest. Basically it is measured by straightline stopping performance in the wet.

The ZV1 is a "A" rating, any ideas what the zz1/zz3 are it should be written on the sticker on the tyres when new.

Avons also have a rating of their ability to cope with temperature build up, which the zv1 has the best rating.

Sorry, if i sound like an anorack but i was reading the lable on mine that i got fitted today! 180 quid all in for a set of 15's
Old 05 January 2003, 03:18 PM
griffm
Scooby Regular

Question

Just re checked the tyres on my car and the insides of the fronts are really worn, I have noted that it has been a previous topic in these forums but is it possible the tracking / camber etc may need resetting, Service due end Jan may get dealer to put right as I only purchased the car 6 months ago.

[Edited by griffm - 1/5/2003 3:21:25 PM]

[Edited by griffm - 1/5/2003 5:25:44 PM]
Old 16 January 2003, 03:48 PM
scoobydu
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I had 205/55x15 on my BMW 325 sport and found them to excellent tyres, especially in the wet!!!

Also a mate of mine had them on his saxo vts size 185/55x14 and found them to brilliant!! he did dsay that some of his mates found them to crap!!!

You pays yer money and you buys yer tyres!!!

Cheers

Al
ps probably s**te drivers!!! :-)
Old 16 January 2003, 04:01 PM
scoobydu
Scooby Regular

Cool

Sorry meant to say tyre on both cars were ZZ1's.

Cheers

Al
Old 18 January 2003, 03:53 PM
breezer
Scooby Regular

I agree - although the kids might slip off if they were used as playground swing seats.

Never known the performance Avon tyres, but I bought Avons for my old Corsa a while before selling it (price was the major consideration as I wasn't going to be driving it for that much longer). Realllly bad. One thing was better than the Michelin's I had before - they were more progressive when they let go, but they did it at so much lower speeds than the Michelin's that it wasn't really a benefit. Sooo easy to wheelspin off the line with Avon's (and this in a 1.4i Corsa), and even at the top of 1st gear if the tarmac wasn't dry.

Case cemented solid - go for non-Avons.
Old 21 January 2003, 11:42 PM
Danny Boy
Scooby Regular

Location: All over the place, trying to stop putting the miles on!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
have had Avon ZZ1's on my scoob since i bought it five months ago. They were on the car when bought and looked brand new. i have had nothing to compare them with but i would say that they are ok in the dry but in the wet it does understeer quite early and if you boot it the back does like to wobble around a bit. Would probably not buy them again, but would not go as far as saying they were dangerous. What are you trying to do, a tarmac rally stage following colin Mcrash!!!

Danny Boy

Old 24 January 2003, 08:30 PM
eddiebeef
Scooby Regular

Ive had 2 ZZ1's fitted for ages, they have hardly worn in 15-20k. I think the handling is pretty crap for an impreza. I cant remember what tyres were on b4 but I remember the handling used to be much better. Ive had them on 4 so long that I have got used to the **** handling. Cant wait to get some decent rubber on!!
Old 26 January 2003, 07:35 PM
mike_cf5
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

i got avons on my calibra and they aint great for grip i dont exactly drive it that fast (or much at all anymore) and they do give a bit......

but i aint tried anything else so catn really comment

Quick Reply: Avon tyres anyone tried them ???