Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Brake pads - EBC = good or NOT

Search this Thread

Old 25 September 2002, 10:23 AM
RyanB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi need some advice, I need to get new brake pads for 99MY. I have read about green stuff and red stuff, they sound like good brakes. I have also been told about ferodo brakes. Im stuck in the middle please help.

Thanks

Ryan
Old 25 September 2002, 10:27 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

I've had EBC and will never again. I had greens, they warped to sets of brand new EBC discs so I had reds fitted. These didn't warp the discs, but then neither did they work from cold or stop the car once hot/heavy braking etc. I had 0% confidence in the brakes with these fitted and IMHO you get what you pay for and EBC are cheap. I now have Ferodo DS2500 fitted, 150 quid delivered from TSL, which although may sound expensive these brake pads are superb in comparison, work very well and I have a lot more braking confidence.

I think you'll find a lot of people on here who've had bad experience with redstuff..........

P.S - Did I forget to mention that the reds wore out in less than 3.5k miles? No trackdays either............ all road use
Old 25 September 2002, 10:32 AM
hoonunit
Scooby Regular

I've had the same sort of experience as scoobyjawa. Replaced my standard pads with EBC reds and haven't been able to stop since! They are worse than the standard pads when cold and barely as good(?) when hot. They do also fade quite badly, despite the manufacturer's claims. I'm going for the ferodo option next though £150 eems a bit steep - see the other thread on DS2500 pads.
Old 25 September 2002, 10:32 AM
RyanB
Scooby Regular

Smile

Cheers for the quick reply, Have you got a phone number or a website address of TSL.

Many thanks

Ryan
Old 25 September 2002, 11:29 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

http://www.tsl-motorsport.co.uk/

There ya go m8! Trouser (aka Paul) will sort you out
Old 25 September 2002, 12:26 PM
Mike Stokes
Scooby Regular

Can also recommend Pagid RS421's for road use, fantastic braking, better from cold than standard pads as well. Very noticeably don't dust as much as other pads I've used. EBC reds are downright dangerous IMHO. Can be bought from several places, but I get mine from Performance Braking in Monmouth, 01600 713117.

HTH.
Old 25 September 2002, 12:29 PM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

Ryan,contact Circuit Supplies in Leyton Buzzard 01525 385888,they are the UK importers for Feredo parts i've just got DS2500 for my MY01 at £119.00 plus delivery,they are excellent pads much better than the OEM ones.

Zippy
Old 25 September 2002, 12:43 PM
RyanB
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thanks alot people, I opted for the ferodo DS2500. These have been highly recommended by everyone I have spoken to.

Thanks again

Ryan
Old 25 September 2002, 02:19 PM
Charlie H
Scooby Regular

Cool

Find this most bizarre, I use ebc red stuff pads on standard discs and have NEVER had a minutes problem with them, even did a trackday at croft with them. No cracks, fade or anything could it be the EBC disks that are causing the problem coz everyone who moans about them seem to have the disks as well????
Old 25 September 2002, 02:41 PM
Mike Stokes
Scooby Regular

Charlie,

I had the redstuffs on OEM discs and they were awful. They also ruined the alloys with redhot shards of metal being deposited in the alloy. From what I've heard they appear to use different compounds on them (this could of course be complete cobblers) so some work, others don't. The majority appear not to though. A friend had them in his westfield, they were rubbish in that as well, he only tried them after the greenstuffs melted on him, yet another mate has greens in his Caterham 7 which is heavily tracked and has no probs with them.

Anyway, Pagids rule IMHO !!
Old 25 September 2002, 06:26 PM
grahamstocker
Scooby Regular

Ebc greens fade badly and dont last Pagid blue are superb last three times as long with minimal fade
Old 25 September 2002, 07:38 PM
stanmo
Scooby Regular

Interestingly, I had them fitted a while ago; and received a few bits of paper stating that the reds and yellows should only be used for track; and for safety should only use green on the road.
The other bit of paper was about running them in, saying that it could take up to 600 miles for them to bed in and remove the outer coating. Up til then, there should be no hard braking, blah, blah.

I noticed that the greens fade if you use them from moderate to high B road speeds (60-85) several times in succession, but are otherwise not too bad. Depends on what kind of driving you do; I tend to be a big girl's blouse when I drive; so may not be stomping on the pedal quite so hard.

Bear in mind that I've never been out on track, so have no idea how much more strain the brakes get put under.
Old 25 September 2002, 08:35 PM
Charlie H
Scooby Regular

Must admit, I'm not a heavy braker either so could explain why I don't have a problem with them. Have used them on a track and have had a couple of "emergancy stops" with no fuss, they seemed very eager to lock the wheels and stopped me just fine. Will try the pagid or ferrodo when I eventually wear these out to compare.
Old 25 September 2002, 09:25 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Red face

u bints have me worried now, i just ordered sum greens for the 4 pots im gettin fitted this weekend following advice from sum1 who reckoned they wood more than suffice 4 my mere road use. I aint the last of the late breakers of a full on nature either so hopefully i shant have any trubble & even if they aint the dogs do das i'm sure the difference from 2 to 4 pots will mean it's a significant improvment
Si [/paranoid mode off] hopefully
Old 25 September 2002, 11:09 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

I ran EBC greens and EBC discs with 2-pots with no real dramas for almost 2 years. Green pads do tend to get pretty hot in use, but never warped the discs (although there was a fair amount of surface cracking when I eventually changed them! ).
One problem which I did find was that if the brakes were only used lightly, the pads tended to glaze over, and required a few stomps from speed to clean them up again.

On the subject of warped discs, I recently read that a few thou of dirt on the axle hub caught behind the disc, could casue sufficient run-out to make the brakes feel 'warped' after around a thousand miles. So ensure your hubs are spotless before fitting discs to prevent future problems!
Old 26 September 2002, 08:47 AM
Scott W
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I'm currently running EBC Greens, and they've faded fast. They have only lasted for about 10k's worth of miles, and all of this has been on the road.
Old 26 September 2002, 09:18 AM
X SOOOBY
Scooby Regular

i will be different i have yellow pads and ebc disks i fitted them prior to a trackday which apperently cook the pads so that they dont crumble and after 2 further track days and 10000 miles there is 4-5 mm left in them

i am a heavy braker and on trackdays dont tickle them

on the other hand the red stuff didn`t last 1 trackday
Old 26 September 2002, 12:23 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Question

So r we now sayin its a good idea 2 give em sum abuse while new? OK i presume yellow mayb better than green but same logic apply?
Si
Old 26 September 2002, 12:54 PM
Bal
Scooby Regular

I ghad EBC green stuff on my MY00 - standard disks.
- NEVER AGAIN.
After driving at high speed and putting the brakes on.. massive brake judder.

Bal
Old 26 September 2002, 02:47 PM
Neal
Scooby Newbie

Ryan,

the debate rolls on but EBC dont seem a good idea to me !

The best options for fast road use at a reasonable cost - ie similar to OE, seem to be from my research only (not experience)either ferrodo or Mintex. Here are some good prices from Scooby mania and the part No etc:

Ferodo DS2500's FCP986H £100.33 + Vat = £117.88
Mintex MDB1416 (1144 compound) £63.50 + Vat = £74.61
plus about £3 carriage.ScoobyMania 0115 9708555

Hope of use

Neal
Old 27 September 2002, 09:31 AM
RyanB
Scooby Regular

Question

Thanks very much, I have just bought some ferodo brakes. But I do have another question. When I bought them the bloke said that I needed to clean the disks and calipers, because they are made from some organic material...... Is he pulling my leg or not?