Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Speedline Chronos & Super Tourismo - How do you tell the difference?

Search this Thread

Old 16 July 2002, 01:43 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still trying to find out whether my new 4pots will fit under my wheels, only I don't know which ones they are.

Been advised that they will fit under Chronos but not Super Tourismos

I've searched the web for pictures but the Chrono and Super Tourismo both look exactly the same to my untrained eye.

Mine are silver, 17" with the Prodrive centre cap, were fitted to the car by previous owner so I haven't got a clue which ones they are.

Can anyone shed any light as to the difference?

Cheers

Chris
Old 16 July 2002, 01:51 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

The Speedline Chrono is known as Supertoursimo in the UK. It has the part number (SL1214)cast into the outer face of the wheel between the spokes.

Mike
Old 16 July 2002, 02:00 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Cheers Mike,

so they're the same wheel?

Are there different dimensions?

Chris
Old 16 July 2002, 03:37 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

We decided to call the wheel Supertourismo as it was a road version of the wheel used on the Alfa Supertouring cars we ran in 1995/6. Speedline decided to call it Chrono in other aftermarket applications. What's really confusing is that OZ also used the same name for their multispoke Supertouring car replica!

We produced this wheel in ET55 for Impreza in Gold and Silver as well as ET48 for Forester in Antracite.

The other similar looking wheel was the one fitted to RB5 which is actually a completely different wheel. It was originally produced for the Japanese market but we took it as the a special wheel for RB5 as it had to fit over the 4pots. This wheel is ET52 and was only ever available here in the dark silver colour.
Old 16 July 2002, 03:54 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Question

why all these diferent offsets? Dont you get issues with wheel bearing loading as offset has an impact on this, amongst other handling charicteristics.
Old 16 July 2002, 04:27 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

It was done to confuse me and so that I couldn't fit my 4pots
Old 16 July 2002, 07:09 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Confused me too

Would love an answer to John's question...
Old 17 July 2002, 10:15 AM
Smiler1
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Mike
I have a set of RB5 wheels but they are in gold - I think they are from Japan.

Cheers
S.

[Edited by Smiler1 - 7/17/2002 10:34:01 AM]
Old 17 July 2002, 03:02 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

John

The different offsets are manufactured for various reasons.

Forester uses a different wheel offset as the suspension geometry and ride heights are different even though the uprights are the same. We always try to keep as close to the OE offsets as possible to minimise tramlining and torque steer if it exists

The Impreza was first launched on ET55 wheels so we tried to keep as close to that as possible with the Supertourismo (Chrono)

The later cars were fitted with ET53 16" wheels and we generally used ET52 in 17" which is within the normal +/-1mm range.

The latest WRX also has ET55 wheels as std but after testing we decided to carry over our existing wheels to avoid confusion. The new 18" P-FF7 wheel is ET51, mainly so that it gives us maximum tyre clearance without compromising the steering in any way. We did however protect this design so that it would clear the Brembo calipers at ET55 if necessary.

I hope that answers your question

Smiler

Your gold wheels are probably identical in spec to the RB5 wheels and were only sold in Japan in that colour.

Old 17 July 2002, 09:33 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

So what is being said that is if you have the prodrive Speedlines Supertourismo ST1214, you cannot fit 4 pots??
Is that right - pain in the *ss if it is.
Alas
Old 17 July 2002, 09:48 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Afraid you're correct
Old 18 July 2002, 10:16 AM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Sorry to say that has always been the case, if you want 4 pots you need 7mm spacers (which i should have soon ).

Tony.
Old 18 July 2002, 11:41 AM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Tony,

Out of interest where are you getting the spacers from, I was told that it would be safer if I also got longer wheel studs (not the correct terminolgy I think, the bit that goes through the actual holes in the wheels) which were only available from Prodrive for silly money.

Chris
Old 18 July 2002, 12:34 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Im making the spacers up as nobody seems to sell them. The wheel studs are avalibale from places like Demon Tweeks, and they are not that expensive (didn't know Prodrive sold the wheel studs). Im gonna get the spcers then see how much thread is left first. At the moment my stud actual goes past the threaded part of the bolt into the hollow top, there's about 3-4mm of stud over so ineffect with the spacer your only takin 3mm off.

I'll let you know how i go (won't have the spacers for a while tho),

Tony.
Old 18 July 2002, 03:26 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cheers Tony,

hope you get it sorted, let me know how you get on in any event.

Chris
Old 18 July 2002, 04:49 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

thanks for the info Mike!!!

Quick question for you. I have MiM ET45 7x17 wheels on my STi5 TypeRA (just think of it as a P1 with extra doors if this gives you shivers )

Based on the testing you have done, what effect will this have on the handling IYHO?
Old 18 July 2002, 06:13 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

John

More weight and feedback through the steering. If tyre is prone to tramlining then it will be worse with an ET45 wheel than with an ET52 wheel. I doubt that this would give you any problems in the conditions you have been using your car recently

As a back to back test, I once drove a car with ET45 wheels that was very nervous on a particular piece of road to the extent that you couldn't drive it at anywhere near full throttle as you couldn't predict where it was going next. Our demo cruised down the same piece of road 20 mph faster as you knew exactly where it going and you could place the car exactly where you wanted.

Mike
Old 19 July 2002, 11:01 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Thumbs up

Thanks Mike.

Thats pretty much spot on how i feel the car is responding. When i have the low tread depth fronts on, that i used on track, the car does tramline more than when i have the brand new tyres on. This is normal on the SO2PP but the car likes to follow cambers especially now. The self centreing of the car is huge compared to others such as the 22B i have driven, some of this will be down to running more static caster due the an ALK, but i put a lot of this down to offset. If i were using the car purely for the road it would probably anoy me, but as i am interested in track response also, its something i can live with. I am off to the ring in a few hours, that will be a good test of the setup i am running now as it has every type of corner and camber you can think of there.