Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Brakes an Pads - please give me some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 12 July 2002, 03:38 PM
Wuss
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I recently had my UK MY00 upgraded with the PPP. I still have the original 16" 6-spoke alloys, discs and pads, but I do not have any real confidence in the car's braking ability! The dealer claims the discs and pads are fine. I need to know what my options are to improve the brakes... Do I need new pads, discs or an entire overhaul of the brakes system?

I really don't know anything about this area of the car so any advice would be appreciated.

W.
Old 12 July 2002, 11:12 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A simple and relatively cheap first step could be to fit braided hoses and 5.1 fluid, that should make the pedal firmer and may inspire a little more confidence, after that the sky's the limit, anything from a simple pad change to the full monty six pot big disc track set-up.
Start with the simple things first, there's no point in going for the full works, when you might be happy with just the hoses and fluid, it's surprising how much difference can be had just by bleeding the system, the fluid picks up moisture over a period, and the brakes get worse without you noticing.
Ron.
Old 12 July 2002, 11:35 PM
caz1562
Scooby Regular

You could always try the brake support bracket. This stiffens up the master cylinder supporting it during the bulkhead flex that can seriously affect braking at high pedal pressure. Look at http://www.scoobymania.co.uk/site_flash.asp?page=brakesmisc
Old 13 July 2002, 12:39 AM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

Just changed the original pads on my MY00 to Ferodo DS2500's. Have lots more confidence braking late now, far more bite and retardation than the standard pads.

Bought from Falkland for £130, took 30 minutes to fit, very easy job.

Dan
Old 13 July 2002, 04:17 PM
SG
Scooby Regular

Smile

I should of gone for the DS2500 pads when I replaced the ones on my MY00 Turbo. Instead I went for the Greenstuff Pads. After fitting these and some leasurly driving looks like I have warped the discs.

oops

Shaun

[Edited by SG - 7/13/2002 4:18:34 PM]
Old 13 July 2002, 04:58 PM
Wuss
Scooby Regular

Cool

Thanks Guys, I'll get the pads changed to DS2500's at the next service and see if that makes any difference.

If anybody has any other suggestions, keep them coming...

W.
Old 14 July 2002, 06:44 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

I recently had my UK MY00 upgraded with the PPP. I still have the original 16" 6-spoke alloys, discs and pads, but I do not have any real confidence in the car's braking ability!
I totally agree with what you are saying! My best friend bought a 2 year old WRX a month ago. The one with the small black calipers where it says SUBARU on them. The car doesnt brake at all! :-O

Obviously, you will need DOT 5.1 liquid with high wet boiling point, braided hoses and new pads. My friend is on a budget, so maybe he will just get some grooved CTF discs or so, but a real brake kit like an AP 6 pot or something really is needed here. But I dont think that will fit with 16 inch wheels.

We use Pagid RS14 pads (the black ones) on our Evos and Scoobies here and are very pleased. They withstand 800°C but are much less noisy than the 4-2 (the blue ones). Bite from cold is better than standard, but when they get some heat, they're quite impressive!
Old 16 July 2002, 02:37 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Wuss, you're getting some mixed advice here.

Assuming your brakes are in good standard condition, as your dealer says, then braided hoses, brake support brackets and 5.1 fluid will not make you stop any quicker.

These things might make your predal feel better (but remember 5.1 is a measure of water absorbancy, not heat rating) but will not make the brakes any more powerful.

First point is that standard Scoob brakes are not up to the car's performance. Second point is that up-rated pads will only warp or even crack the discs a little sooner than the stock pads will. Third point is that braided hoses, uprated fluid and brake support brackets etc etc do nothing for the car's stopping ability.

Fundamental problem is the discs are sh1te, and there are various upgrade options available there. How far you want to go after that with pads and calipers etc is up to your application. Again, there are various options/prices available, both for 16in and 17in wheels.

What kind of driving do you do? Any track days?

Best regards,

Richard.
Old 16 July 2002, 05:25 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

I find CTF discs with a separate aluminium bell and Pagid RS14 pads to give excellent results

Excellent cold bite
Impressive warm bite
not noisy
occasional squeaking only