Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Will they fit ?

Search this Thread

Old 12 July 2002, 10:44 AM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Given my Subaru 4 pots don't fit behind the Prodrive Speedlines (Super Turismo/Chrono) I doubt they will fit. However, I would be very happy to be proved wrong!
Old 14 July 2002, 07:08 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

I used to have Tarox 6 pots on an M3. Wouldnt buy them again. Sorry if this is off topic.
Old 14 July 2002, 08:38 PM
croxton7
Scooby Regular

cheers lads you really know how to cheer a guy up :-)

Old 14 July 2002, 08:44 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Sorry. I hope you haven't found this out the hard way
Old 15 July 2002, 01:03 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

From what i can remember they do fit. For one basic reason... the caliper is a lot slimmer than the Subaru 4 pot. This is because the Tarox calipers don't have dust seals. So in our fabulous weather will not last long. To confirm they fit check out Graham Goode's website, think they give details there.

Tony.
Old 15 July 2002, 02:54 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

I had Prodrive PD7's on my MY00 which were Speedline wheels and my AP4 pots (and AP6 pots) will fit behind these. Whether or not the Tarox would fit I don't know but my experience of Tarox is that they are not that good.

I would go for Brembo's, AP's or Godspeeds over Tarox, IMHO

Matt
Old 15 July 2002, 03:40 PM
croxton7
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info Tony and Matt.

I bought them 2nd hand complete with discs, the guy who I bought them off said they had previuosly been on a scooby with 17" wheels but I forgot to ask what wheels were .... doooooh !

Needless to say they are currently in Italy at present getting a complete rehaul and service.

Several of you guys say that they are not that good compared to either the AP or Brembo setups, why is that ? Is it because of the dust seals as Tony has pointed out, or are there other problems ?

I have a set of braided goodridge hoses waiting to be fitted also, for when they come back from their holiday

God I hope they fit ! if they do, they should sure as hell be a damn site better than the bicycle brakes that are on the car at present ! shouldn't they ?

If they don't fit - anybody in the market wanna buy some Newly serviced Tarox 6 pots with 306mm grooved discs (

Cheers all
Steve
Old 15 July 2002, 08:50 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

Easy, Steve!

They should fit just fine.

You do indeed have bicyle brakes right now. The Tarox are something completely different! They will brake like Brembos, but fade quicker. I took a picture once of orange discs on my M3 (night time) but I left the flashlight on stupid me, the picture looks like they're cold... LOL

The fact they do not have dust seals makes no difference. 8 pot liquid cooled AP Racing brakes as used in WRC by several teams do not have dust seals either.
Old 16 July 2002, 07:57 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

But do you want to re-build your brakes every weekend? The WRC ones are!!!

On the road, dust seals = thousands of trouble free miles, even through winter.

Matt
Old 16 July 2002, 05:26 PM
croxton7
Scooby Regular

Thanks Claudius hope you are right :-)

Matt can you explain the dust seal problem for me, I don't do any track days, just wanted to upgrade my brakes and this set of Tarox 6 pots cam along after hunting round for a set of scooby 4 pots for over 6 months with no luck. You have worried me with the dust seal statement, what problems am I likely to encounter ? will they need regular servicing or will the performance of the brakes deteriorate, with build up of brake pad dust or after driving in wet/dry -dusty weather. Sorry for so many questions but I obviously don't want to put a set of callipers on if they will need taking off every couple of thousand miles.

Cheers
Steve
Old 16 July 2002, 07:15 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

The lack of dust seals just means that general crap can get in down the sides of the pistons and will gum them up, requiring a rebuild much sooner than otherwise.

Worst case is probably that the crap gets in there, corrodes the pistons, the pistons destroy the seals and you start leaking fluid, along with reduced performance. If you clean them out fairly regularly, say twice a year you can probably stem the tide, so to speak.

Best case is probably that the crap getting in there just jams the pistons up and they start to seize a little. What is also a common problem is that as the pads wear down, due to the pistons having to come further out of the caliper, the crap can stop them from retracting properly and this can also cause a kind of mild seizing...(sp?)

I'm not saying don't do it or that there is anything inhenrently wrong with no seals, just bear in mind they will require some regular maintenance...

Matt
Old 18 July 2002, 01:22 PM
croxton7
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for clearing that up for me Matt ! Much appreciated.

I get my car serviced every 6,000 miles regardless of service interval timing, so probably easiest to get mechanic to give them the once over every time it goes in.

Thanks for all your help.

Steve
Old 07 December 2002, 01:03 AM
croxton7
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi, anybody know if a set of Tarox 6 pot calipers will fit behind 17" (Prodrive) Speedlines ??
Including the 306mm grooved discs ?

Thanks in advance

Steve

Edited to add - If they fit (oh please let them fit !) does the ABS system still work or is it made redundant ?

[Edited by croxton7 - 7/15/2002 3:43:52 PM]