Should I "Pull it Out"....

Search this Thread

Old 03 July 2002, 01:32 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

GNaf GNaf.... oh matron

Spotted a bleedin flat headed tac/nail of some sort just on the edge of my rear tyre..... No airs escaping and im not sure if its actually punctured.........

I reckon i'll be told the tyres un-repairable as its on the edge so my choice is this..

a) Risk pulling it out and see what happens... it may not be punctured... if it goes flat i'll have to go to the nearest tyre dealer and probably not get a good deal on 4 tyres...

b) Risk it and carry on driving until i need to change all tyres..

c) Buy a full set of new tyres (OEM's with 11k at mo ) now.... and find a good deal....

What do ya think?

Jza
Old 03 July 2002, 02:15 PM
AudiMan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Same thing happened to me, so I started to pull it out with a pair of pliers, air started escaping so I knocked it back in again and went along to my local KwikFit who fixed it for FREE !,
I know high performance tyres are probably a no no to fix, but the last thing you want is to come out one morning when you're late for work and find it flat,
Option (a) would be my choice.
Just to be positive, I also pulled out a 4inch (yes 4inches) out of my rear tyre and it didn't go down, it had gone in at an angle and as the tyres were new it just burried itself in all that new tread.
Dodgy area I live in, obviously a lot of careless DIY people as well.
Old 03 July 2002, 02:42 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

If it's a puncture close to the tyre wall, it is probably not repairable. Punctures can only be repaired if they are further then a given distance from the edge of the tyre. Any reasonably competent rtye place should be able to measure and tell you if they can repair it. I would not remove the foreign object, just go to a tyre place now and ask them to check if it is legally repairable.

Moray
bbs.22b.com
Old 04 July 2002, 10:13 PM
PeteT
Scooby Regular

Actually the last thing you want is for it to deflate suddenly in the outside lane of the motorway at 90mph. Don't take the risk, get it fixed or replace the lot !
Old 05 July 2002, 12:47 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Red face

My vote is 100% for Pete's comment.

Tyres should be checked regularly.... for even small stones etc lodged in the tread can caust nasty happenings at Scoob speeds.

Old 05 July 2002, 08:50 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

The same happened to me. If they're OEM tyres they're crap anyway -- I took the plunge and replaced all four with something decent.
Old 05 July 2002, 09:27 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys..

Ive took the plunge and am going for Toyo Proxy's which will be fitted at donington SIDC day this Sunday. Couldn't find anyone cheaper that Tyres of Northampton - who i'd rather support than some local toe-rags!!

Jza