Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Excuse the ignorance, but how much will it cost?

Search this Thread

Old 26 March 2001, 01:56 PM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am awaiting my first speeding fine. After many happy years of speeding (safely I might add), I saw the dreaded double flash early Friday night going into Tonbridge along the road from Sevenoaks (I KNEW IT WAS THERE TOO!! Im so stupid!!).
I was doing a little over 65MPh in a 30 zone, becuase I was coming out of the Hilden Manor parking lot, and turning right across traffic, and it was busy, so when a gap came I floored it, and the camera is almost right there, and I kept flooring it, and bang!!
Cars fault really, it shouldnt have gotten up to speed so quickly, but I am guessing that that excuse wont hold up in court.
What happens now? do I have to go to court? and will I have to apply for a mortage to cover the fine?
Damn, I know that camera to, and I just ordered the new Bel radar/camera etc etc detector, and that arrives tomorrow, dont care if they make them illegal, they'd have to pull it out of my cold dead fingers to make me give it up.
Old 26 March 2001, 02:04 PM
letdown
Scooby Regular

Dont want to the bearer of bad news but I believe that you lose your licence for double the limit!! try this URL
Old 26 March 2001, 02:07 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by IntegraR:
<B>Cars fault really, it shouldnt have gotten up to speed so quickly, but I am guessing that that excuse wont hold up in court.[/quote]

Presumably, if you had a "normal" car, the gap wouldn't have been big enough so you wouldn't have been able to make it - not without "collecting" a car in the **** anyway!!!!

Matt.
Old 26 March 2001, 02:13 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Yep, + 30MPH over any limit and it is bye-bye licence for six weeks or so, you had better hope that your speedo is inaccurate and reads high old son!
Old 26 March 2001, 02:14 PM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

The chances are still good that there was no film in the camera, but it's a sweaty 2 weeks you got ahead of you - damn!
Chuck
Old 26 March 2001, 03:34 PM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

Does it definitely mean a court appearance?
I just hope it didnt have any film in it, now I have to sit for 2 weeks worrying about if Ill get banned, 6 weeks!!! Edit: after 2 weeks am I home free?
It did flash twice, not sure if thats an indication of film being in there, I just wish I could have gone back and burnt the f**k*ng thing down, just that area is too busy at most hours, and it probably wouldnt have helped my case in court.
"On the charge of speeding, how do you plead"
"Er, not guilty your Honor"
"and on the charge of then going back and trying to set the camera on fire to disguise your guilt, how do you plead"
"Er, temporary insanity?"
Well, I know I deserve what I get, but court and the like can get a bit embarrising, and not being able to drive will be an absolute nightmare, there arent even any decent arcades with driving games in them within walking distance

[This message has been edited by IntegraR (edited 26 March 2001).]
Old 26 March 2001, 03:49 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

IntegraR,
Double flash is not indication of camera being loaded, some dummy cameras are set to flash twice. Probably to have the effect it's having on you.
So, no idea if the cameras on that road are live.

hope that it was a dummy, or if not, that you get of lightly.

worth checking out
Old 26 March 2001, 04:15 PM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Tell them your throttle spring snapped and the butterfly went full open...

Mark.
Old 26 March 2001, 04:38 PM
HunterB
Scooby Regular

If it's not too far away, go back and have a good look at the Gatso. If there's a camera inside, you'll be able to see the lens in the top window. Might save you two weeks of sweaty palms, might give you another two weeks to start saving .... (assuming they haven't serviced the Gatso since this afternoon and moved the camera)
Old 26 March 2001, 05:06 PM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

I think Kent are quite keen on the film thing, certainly I have seen the one before the bridge in Tunbridge Wells being loaded early one morning.

Sorry.

Dave
Old 26 March 2001, 05:30 PM
Stevie
Scooby Regular

Consider who was driving when the photo was taken. Any elderly relatives with a licence who dont drive anymore? They might be OK with a few weeks ban or so.

On a serious note, I thought a 4 week ban and a fine would be better than points as this ban should not affect your insurance too much. Could be totally wrong.
Old 26 March 2001, 08:11 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Mr Integra,

Just to give you some hope I have been double flashed four times (twice doing 55 in 50mph roadworks on M5) and have never received anything.

Each time I was not in the Scoob.

Lee
Old 26 March 2001, 08:31 PM
Moz
Scooby Regular

Tell them your a burglar and rapist and need your car to get you around to commit crime, they will probably be more lenient then.
Old 26 March 2001, 08:34 PM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Integra R.

They have to send you an N.I.P (notice of intended prosecution) sent to the owner of the car asking if you were driving it, and if not who was. The photo evidence is so accurate now they can often tell of it is male/female driving on a Gatso.

You have 14 working days to sweat, then the dreaded letter in a brown envelope. It drops on your door and then you send it back saying "It was me/my gran/dog" etc etc. Then they prepare the offence for court or fixed penalty depending on severity (In your case 65 in a 30 looks like an evil fine/ban/points. Depends on the day, but expect a summons or the chance to take 6 points and the guilty plea by post. If you do that, its less likely to be big fine and waste a magistrates time

Bummer I know, been down this road 3 years ago.

R
Old 26 March 2001, 09:46 PM
DJB
Scooby Regular

Like others above, I've been double flashed a few times in the past without any further trouble.

I've heard that only approximately 1 in 5 contain film.

D.