Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Tyre choice for Classic '99 Impreza?

Search this Thread

Old 04 September 2023, 10:08 PM
Gary B
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tyre choice for Classic '99 Impreza?

Hey all,

I have a 1999 Impreza RB5 and it needs new tyres. I run 215/45 r17's - slightly wider than the original 205/45 due to a MUCH better tyre selection being available for that size back in the day.

Car doesn't do many miles, it's a second vehicle that I just drive when I fancy it, and generally just gets used when the weather is better. Currently have a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 Symmetrico (those V pattern ones) which have been ok, but not that sticky. As an aside, my first set of those tyres were GREAT, the second set seemed harder, less grippy.

I'm a bit out of touch when it comes to Impreza tyres, as I've had the current set for at least ten years. What would people recommend for my use case?

Cheers.
Old 19 September 2023, 10:03 AM
Jonny Cut Corners
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't believe they're particularly sensitive to tyres, no more than any other car on the road.
Apart from it being a good idea to keep the tyre wear (thus circumference) even from side to side because of the 4wd system (think it states that in the manual)

My go to tyres on my Legacy are either Goodyear eagle asymmetric 5 or Michelin pilot sport 4.
For the last few winters I've been using Goodyear vector 4 season tyres and they're hilariously good in the wet/ snowy/ greasy conditions. So much so, when I've jumped in other cars with summer tyres I've nearly gone in the first ditch when they dont grip like I'm used to 😂
Old 19 September 2023, 12:26 PM
Gary B
Scooby Regular

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I had been looking at Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric 5's, but was recommended some Falken FK 520's for like 30% cheaper. I checked reviews on various sites and while the Goodyears edge them out in most categories, they really were very very close. So I went for those.

Refurb'd wheels and new tyres should be delivered and fitted today. So I'll see how I get on.
Old 08 November 2023, 11:37 AM
scoobydog
Scooby Regular

I'm on Bridgestone Potenza Sports on a WRX Hawkeye in 18" and also got them on my daily car and am finding them brilliant. Wet grip, dry grip and steering feel excellent. Side wall quite stiff so makes the ride quite firm but not in a bad way. They get a very good write up in the tyre tests. I was a bit doubtful when I got them but went on the basis of the aforementioned test articles, as I didn't like the old Bridgestone RE050 that the car came on but these are in a different league. Just checked on Blackcircles and they look to be available in the 205/45 17 size your car was originally on.

Hope this helps.
Old 08 November 2023, 12:47 PM
JdmSti2006
Scooby Regular

Received 196 Likes on 171 Posts

In 18s f1 supersports are the best tyre to go, only around 80 quid a corner.
Old 08 November 2023, 12:51 PM
Gary B
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys. I have the Falkens now, until they're next due a change. Not done many miles at all yet - oh, to have the time - but they seem ok. Once I can "stress" them a little more, we'll see how it goes.

£80 a corner for those F1 supersports is a really good price. They were not on the list of tyre options for me though.
Old 09 November 2023, 07:03 PM
JdmSti2006
Scooby Regular

Received 196 Likes on 171 Posts

Yes they do not make f1 ss in 17s as far as I know.