Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Rear 2 pots - refurb or replace and which way round?

Search this Thread

Old 04 October 2020, 10:28 PM
jason7579
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rear 2 pots - refurb or replace and which way round?

I went to change the brake pads on my 2004 WRX with the standard 2 pots on the rear today. On closer inspection it appears that 3 of the 4 pistons have seized completely.

I'm thinking of refurbing with the kit from Scoobyworx. Does the "2 pot rear stainless steel caliper repair kit" for £70 contain everything needed for both sides?
Is this the best way to go, in your opinion, or would you do differently? Budget is something that I have to consider. I'm not able to spend hundreds on new calipers. What kind of price do the big, reputable companies charge for a refurb?

Finally I noticed the calipers have L and R embossed on them. The L is on the drivers side, is this correct?

Thanks
Old 05 October 2020, 02:08 AM
RockyRoad
Scooby Regular

Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts

I just did some WRX 2 pots using the kit from Bigg Red here - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/for-SUBAR...53.m2749.l2649 You'll need two kits to do both calipers but everything you need is included to split the calipers and replace all of the seals including the casting seals. I was going to use the Scoobyworx kit until I spotted the Bigg Red kits for cheaper. No need for stainless pistons in an alloy caliper as far as I can tell.

Bleed nipple should be at the top when fitted. The calipers have both L and R stamped on them with the correct fitting being which side the bleed nipple is fitted.
The following users liked this post:
Old 05 October 2020, 07:13 AM
jason7579
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RockyRoad
I just did some WRX 2 pots using the kit from Bigg Red here - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/for-SUBAR...53.m2749.l2649 You'll need two kits to do both calipers but everything you need is included to split the calipers and replace all of the seals including the casting seals. I was going to use the Scoobyworx kit until I spotted the Bigg Red kits for cheaper. No need for stainless pistons in an alloy caliper as far as I can tell.

Bleed nipple should be at the top when fitted. The calipers have both L and R stamped on them with the correct fitting being which side the bleed nipple is fitted.
Nice one, thank you
Old 05 October 2020, 03:21 PM
jason7579
Scooby Regular

Just looking at the description... I'm assuming this doesn't come with new guide pins, shims, etc. Did you replace these?

Does anyone have an idea of where these can be sourced, ICP apart to be out of stock.
Old 05 October 2020, 03:23 PM
RockyRoad
Scooby Regular

Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts

No doesn't come with new pins or shims but, unless yours are really bad, you can just reuse the originals. I don't think there are any after market alternatives for the two pots sadly.
The following users liked this post:
Old 05 October 2020, 03:51 PM
jason7579
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RockyRoad
No doesn't come with new pins or shims but, unless yours are really bad, you can just reuse the originals. I don't think there are any after market alternatives for the two pots sadly.
That's a shame, would have been nice to do a full overhaul as mine have seen better days. Thanks for answering so quickly.