Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

STI Brembos vs HiSpec 6 pots vs K-Sport 8 pots??

Search this Thread

Old 26 October 2016, 12:37 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default STI Brembos vs HiSpec 6 pots vs K-Sport 8 pots??

Looking for some proper advice on this one. I felt the brakes on my car (Blob STI) were terrible on track, but I readily admit that was on standard hoses and some unknown ****ty discs, pads and fluid.

I have the hoses and fluid to change but before I spend a load of money on discs and pads for the Brembos, I'm interested to know about the other two options mentioned.

How do they compare? I did think I wanted some K-Sports at first, but I keep thinking about how it surely can't work too well with the OEM master cylinder, jumping from four to eight pots. That makes me wonder if the HiSpec 6 pots would be a decent compromise?

Does anybody have any concrete information on the clamping forces of the calipers in question? It's obviously not worth changing if there's no genuine upgrade there.

I'm also interested in finding out whether it's worth the extra money to buy two piece discs rather than one piece?
Old 26 October 2016, 01:10 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Brembo with the right disc and pads work very well,before I upgraded to the might of Ap,i was running 440 bhp on two piece performance friction disc and pads with the o.e sti gold brembo Calipers and they performed superbly.SJ.
Old 26 October 2016, 01:11 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Highest clamping force is D2 6 pots, 2nd OEM Brembo, then Ksports etc down below that. The only downside is heat disappation with the brembos, so 2 piece discs and some ducting will sort that

K sports etc are a false economy etc, because once you need spares they charge the earth for them.

Better off with decent AP or Alcons if upgrading, or stick with the brembos and get decent pads etc.
Old 26 October 2016, 02:25 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys. Having spoken with one of the guys at GodSpeed also, I am leaning towards sticking with the Brembos and saving up for APs.

I think I will have to go with GodSpeed's own two piece discs rather than PF though. They look fantastic but you don't half pay for them! (I do understand that you get what you pay for in this regard)
Old 26 October 2016, 03:27 PM
harry007
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

brembos with project mu discs and pads is good enough.

H
Old 26 October 2016, 03:48 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

If you want to do it right then as said AP`s with 2 piece disks.
Old 26 October 2016, 04:52 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Where do you buy Project Mu? Google just returns their Japanese site?

Being realistic, I can spend about £600 max at the moment. And they need doing so waiting isn't an option unfortunately. That's why I was considering buying a set of these cheaper brakes now.

The options I have due to budget:

1. Buy a set of HiSpec 6 pots I've been offered

2. Buy a set of pads and some Godspeed two piece discs, g-hook rears

3. As 2 but buy the costly PF discs and just manage with the rears that are currently on it for the time being

4. Buy something else!

Also, looking at Carbon Lorraine pads I've noticed there's the RC5 and the RC6. Should I go for the 6 if I went the CL route?
Old 26 October 2016, 05:08 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Correct set up in Brembos work fine.
I ran rc6 pads in Brembos on my last newage wagon and they were hard to beat, good 40mins around Caldwell and they were still working good, my tyres melted before brakes.

What's the main usage of car? 6-8 pots are not always better, if anything same as a decent 4 pot caliper, 6-8 pots are just more stable at higher speeds. They are heavier too.
A set of AP 4 pots would be an upgrade tbh, better weight and upto the job.

I wanted 4 pot APs but I got a good deal on 6 pot APs which I couldn't refuse otherwise I'd of gone 4 pots.

The 6 pot I have now are quite rubbish tbh, but that's because they have the ds2500 in them which I've never liked, so pad choice is very important to how you want to use car.
Old 26 October 2016, 05:49 PM
Mark10sti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Then if you can get them Porsche callipers from lichfields
Old 26 October 2016, 06:10 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Main use is track and hillclimb. That's what it was bought for and is being modified to suit. Currently planning to run in the road going class but might go more hard core in time.
Old 26 October 2016, 06:16 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Is it a newage?
Old 26 October 2016, 06:44 PM
plenty
Scooby Regular

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

As mentioned on the other thread, I'd suggest trying new pads before you splash out for anything else: if on a budget why spend more than you need if a simpler/cheaper upgrade will suit your needs?

Having tried various pads I've settled for Carbotech XP10s which IMO offer the best combination of cold bite, fade resistance, longevity and low noise.

RC6 offer comparable performance however don't last nearly as long as XP10s, squeal horribly and the dust they emit eats alloys. However they are cheap (£140 per front axle versus £220 for XP10s) so minimal risk really.

Try new pads on your existing discs before you spend on two-piece items. Brembos aren't great at dissipating heat but you just might find it's not an issue as you do have to be driving quite hard on heavy braking tracks like Snetterton/Silverstone before you run into problems.
Old 26 October 2016, 07:12 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Yeah Newage. Despite everything, I've seen a set of Ksport 8 pots cheap. Probably not worthwhile though without discs and going on what everyone has said here. They are still tempting me though....

Won't it be a waste of time trying decent pads on discs that aren't drilled or grooved etc.?
Old 26 October 2016, 07:19 PM
plenty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jay Cartay

Won't it be a waste of time trying decent pads on discs that aren't drilled or grooved etc.?
The drilled holes / grooves are there for heat dissipation. From your description you're lacking bite and retardation force, which is a different problem. A new set of pads will deliver bite and force, while good new fluid won't boil as easily. You may find that's enough for your needs.

Would advise against drilled discs though as prone to cracking.
Old 26 October 2016, 07:46 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

As plenty has said.

If I were you, I'd just get a set of carborne Lorraine, carbotech or pagid rs pads in them Brembos with a decent set of discs and save up for some APs later on.

The pads will give the actual performance and will be more than capable for sprints, hill climbs and trackdays etc.
It will take a lot to exceed the limits of them pads on Brembos and if you do then upgrade to APs then.

The other calipers are cheap as they don't last very long and are built cheaply and as said when it comes to replacing stuff then your very limited who to buy from and prices charged.
And not a wide choice of pads on them I think?

Last edited by bustaMOVEs; 26 October 2016 at 07:48 PM.
Old 26 October 2016, 07:47 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by plenty
As mentioned on the other thread, I'd suggest trying new pads before you splash out for anything else: if on a budget why spend more than you need if a simpler/cheaper upgrade will suit your needs?

Having tried various pads I've settled for Carbotech XP10s which IMO offer the best combination of cold bite, fade resistance, longevity and low noise.

RC6 offer comparable performance however don't last nearly as long as XP10s, squeal horribly and the dust they emit eats alloys. However they are cheap (£140 per front axle versus £220 for XP10s) so minimal risk really.

Try new pads on your existing discs before you spend on two-piece items. Brembos aren't great at dissipating heat but you just might find it's not an issue as you do have to be driving quite hard on heavy braking tracks like Snetterton/Silverstone before you run into problems.
Plenty, just to ask, are you using them xp10s on newage or classic and what calipers? Brembos etc?
Old 26 October 2016, 08:12 PM
joe v3sti
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Just speak to Alyn at As Performance for some proper options
Old 26 October 2016, 08:27 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

Yeah Newage. Despite everything, I've seen a set of Ksport 8 pots cheap. Probably not worthwhile though without discs and going on what everyone has said here. They are still tempting me though....

Ksport discs from mtech for 320

Fitting kits just normal bolts not expensive if you source your own.

Only dissappointment is lack of decent pad choice.

My 8 pot 356mm were on car when i got it. Never felt i needed more brakes.
Old 26 October 2016, 08:47 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

I have AP 6 pots on front and AP 4 pots rear
The car stops better than it goes
Braking from 230kph to 80 - out through the windscreen braking power
My motto if you wanna go fast you gotta stop simple
Old 26 October 2016, 10:09 PM
plenty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
Plenty, just to ask, are you using them xp10s on newage or classic and what calipers? Brembos etc?
Hawk JDM so a heavy old beast comparatively. Standard Brembos.
Old 27 October 2016, 01:18 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Still very much undecided. I may well just put on the bits I've got and bang a decent set of pads on for now. Most of the good ones are very expensive but it will be something from Carbotech, PF, CL, or those Bluestuff NDX if available.

One thing that did catch my eye was a set of Audi Q7 6 pot Brembos on eBay.... Wonder how hard they would be to fit?
Old 27 October 2016, 01:41 PM
drakesnow
Scooby Regular

Another interesting combination that has not been suggested would be using the DBA T3 discs. Alyn from AS Performance among others can supply them.

Does anyone have any feedback using the DBA's on the Brembos? Particularly on track? Have seen good feedback from US forums.

My understanding (from reading some info around) is that pairing them with a good cost effective pad option such as the PF Z compound pad is a good start.

Both the pad and the disc should be good to about 650C peak temperature, which should cope with some decent track work.

So it seems if you had a decent set of OE rear discs (say Pagid?) and PF pads on the rear as well, that could be a good middle ground price wise instead of going with the PF two piece front disc or a full on big brake kit.
Old 27 October 2016, 01:45 PM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

Ksport still have dust seal issues?
Old 27 October 2016, 08:33 PM
plenty
Scooby Regular

Most of the good ones are very expensive but it will be something from Carbotech, PF, CL, or those Bluestuff NDX if available.
Stay away from EBC...
Old 27 October 2016, 11:12 PM
harry007
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

project mu stuff is expensive, but it takes the original brembo set up to another level.
sprinting hare jdm provided brakes and pads all around, tdr warwick fitted them.

I can assure you it stop well and fine.
Old 28 October 2016, 09:50 AM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

PFC, etc. have been doing the same thing for years and generally more cost effective IMO........
Old 28 October 2016, 10:13 AM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

I've seen some used PF discs for sale with pads and a set of hatch front Brembos. If I were to buy the lot and sell the Brembos I reckon the used discs and pads would have cost me £300. Wouldn't go for used normally but wondering if it's worth it in this case as the bells would be worth having long term?
Old 28 October 2016, 05:18 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Small update; I've seen some photos of the Hi Spec kit I've been offered. I believe I could buy the kit with used discs and Ferrodo pads for £600. The calipers have been refurbed. They look decent. I don't know much about the way they affect pedal travel on a newage STI or how these two piece calipers differ from monoblocks. They are definitely under consideration for the price though.

I would have to fit braided hoses though as there are none with them. Anyone know if normal ones to fit a Brembo caliper would do?
Old 28 October 2016, 05:26 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where do you buy Project Mu? Google just returns their Japanese site?

Being realistic, I can spend about £600 max at the moment. And they need doing so waiting isn't an option unfortunately. That's why I was considering buying a set of these cheaper brakes now.

The options I have due to budget:

1. Buy a set of HiSpec 6 pots I've been offered

2. Buy a set of pads and some Godspeed two piece discs, g-hook rears

3. As 2 but buy the costly PF discs and just manage with the rears that are currently on it for the time being

4. Buy something else!

Also, looking at Carbon Lorraine pads I've noticed there's the RC5 and the RC6. Should I go for the 6 if I went the CL route?
Small update; I've seen some photos of the Hi Spec kit I've been offered. I believe I could buy the kit with used discs and Ferrodo pads for £600. The calipers have been refurbed. They look decent. I don't know much about the way they affect pedal travel on a newage STI or how these two piece calipers differ from monoblocks. They are definitely under consideration for the price though.

I would have to fit braided hoses though as there are none with them. Anyone know if normal ones to fit a Brembo caliper would do?
Looks like you answered your own question....?

I wouldnt fit 2nd hand pads etc with no provenance.

Brembos have the 2nd highest clamping force out of the calipers mentioned, and with some heat disappation mods are more than adequate for what you want. You're not going to be setting any lap records, so decent discs, pads, fluid and a stopper will do everything you need....
Old 28 October 2016, 05:32 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

I had hi spec on a gtir years ago they were crap
Wrx owners and their penny pinching woes
U want decent brakes open the wallet and get spending