Notices
West Mids Imprezas The Official Dedicated Forum For The West Mids Imprezas. A Charity Based Owners Club Based In & Around Birmingham / West Midlands.

starting to hate my impreza

Search this Thread

Old 02 May 2010, 10:24 PM
specky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starting to hate my impreza

Im really confussed now and starting to hate my impreza which is bad i know. its been chucking water out the overflow pipe since ive had it so as suggested by alot of people and what ive read on here i got weston performance to check over it they did compression tests and came back saying headgaskets are fine and its the strongest engine they have seen in a classic for a while. ive changed the thermostat and cleaned the water sytem out and even took the hoses off and cleaned them last weekend, now im getting a bubbling sound from behind the dash so yesterday i let the engine idle with the caps off to let any air out the system some came out but not much, then today i took it up the motorway from birmingham to tamworth it chucked no water out the temp was fine yet on the way back tonight the temp dropped off normal but was still blowing hot air from the heater so up with the bonnet when i got home no water had come out but the bottom hose was cold yet it doesnt overheat and still blows warm air and i just cant afford to send it anywhere at the moment so im trying to sort it myself any advice would be greatly appreciated, could it still be air locked or a blockage somewhere in the pipes?
Old 03 May 2010, 12:06 AM
scoobysteve2286
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by specky
Im really confussed now and starting to hate my impreza which is bad i know. its been chucking water out the overflow pipe since ive had it so as suggested by alot of people and what ive read on here i got weston performance to check over it they did compression tests and came back saying headgaskets are fine and its the strongest engine they have seen in a classic for a while. ive changed the thermostat and cleaned the water sytem out and even took the hoses off and cleaned them last weekend, now im getting a bubbling sound from behind the dash so yesterday i let the engine idle with the caps off to let any air out the system some came out but not much, then today i took it up the motorway from birmingham to tamworth it chucked no water out the temp was fine yet on the way back tonight the temp dropped off normal but was still blowing hot air from the heater so up with the bonnet when i got home no water had come out but the bottom hose was cold yet it doesnt overheat and still blows warm air and i just cant afford to send it anywhere at the moment so im trying to sort it myself any advice would be greatly appreciated, could it still be air locked or a blockage somewhere in the pipes?
whatever your problem is it seems like i have the same.
Old 03 May 2010, 12:38 AM
specky
Scooby Regular

really so its not just me, how annoying is it, this is my 1st scoob and im not impressed so far well i am performance wise just its a nighmare to work on and when something like this happens it does my head lol the joys of car ownership
Old 03 May 2010, 02:34 AM
scoobysteve2286
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by specky
really so its not just me, how annoying is it, this is my 1st scoob and im not impressed so far well i am performance wise just its a nighmare to work on and when something like this happens it does my head lol the joys of car ownership
well this is my 3rd one and the other 2 were fine. i wouldn't want to own any other car unless it was a f430 scuderia.
Old 03 May 2010, 09:10 AM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Specky,
If the bottom hose is cold then you have an airlock by the sounds of it. These engines can be a pain in the **** to bleed, so need to be done in a certain way.

1) Ensure the engine is cool
2) Take the header tank cap off
3) Fill with water
4) Start Engine and keep revs at circa 2k (still with the cap off - as this will help to force the air to the top of the system)
5) You should see the water drop in the header tank as the stat opens and engine warms
6) Top up with water as required - still with the cap off and revs at 2k
7) Once level has remained, drop revs and put the cap back on straight away. Bottom hose should be warm/hot (as stat has opened)
8) Check heaters
9) Take it for a blast and the bottom hose should be nice and toasty when you stop

If the bottom hose then gets cold again or temp rises (in the near future), you have air in your system and I bet you HG's have gone or going (assuming you have no leaks anywhere else in your system, where air can get in). You have changed the stat so you can erradicate that from the equation.
Old 03 May 2010, 11:09 AM
specky
Scooby Regular

thanks shaun ill try this today
Old 03 May 2010, 01:07 PM
specky
Scooby Regular

did what you said didnt see the water drop as it got warm loads of air came out bottom hose got warm then fans kicked in took it for a blast heater is hot but cools slightly when you give it some, its not chucking any water out now but im still getting the water sound from behind the dash not as bad as yesterday though, could it be the thermostat either not working or the wrong temp as you can get summer and winter ones cant you?
Old 03 May 2010, 06:43 PM
abh
Scooby Regular

hi mate i had the same problem just after i changed the water pump found out i should have back filled the system from the turbo did this and it was fine so try that mate
Old 03 May 2010, 06:48 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

If the bottom hose is warm/hot then the stat is opening, as the water has reached temperature and the stat has opened up to allow water through the rad. If the heaters are working then you have circulation around the heater matrix. If you have your head under the bonnet, can you locate where the noise is coming from..... is it from around the turbo and / or header tank?
Old 03 May 2010, 09:14 PM
specky
Scooby Regular

no mate the noise is from behind the dash in the car when you rev and when you drive its as though there is not enough water in the matrix and its sort of like glugging even when the heater is on. abh how do i back fill the system from the turbo?
Old 03 May 2010, 10:02 PM
Budgie
Scooby Regular

i have a similar problem
flushed the system and filled again from the turbo
its the hose on the turbo
still waiting to road test
hope thats it cured

fiestaboy sorted the work for me
Old 03 May 2010, 10:52 PM
specky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Budgie
i have a similar problem
flushed the system and filled again from the turbo
its the hose on the turbo
still waiting to road test
hope thats it cured

fiestaboy sorted the work for me

the hose that goes from the turbo to the top of the header tank?