Notices
Was it you? Spotted another scooby? Find out if they're here. By popular demand, the "was it you" forum :-)

Police using mobile "Specs" Cameras on the way into Wokingham (off A329M)

Search this Thread

Old 23 November 2004, 09:42 AM
MadMark
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Police using mobile "Specs" Cameras on the way into Wokingham (off A329M)

Nasty ..... but first time I've seen them!
Old 23 November 2004, 10:45 AM
Johnhowell
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MadMark
Nasty ..... but first time I've seen them!
If it is the gravel/rough area just before the pub on the right (three toads?) then I saw them there earlier this year - doing a Road Fund License survey.

John
Old 23 November 2004, 10:47 AM
andys
Scooby Regular

Not suprised there are also the rubber cables across the road there at the moment as well.
Old 23 November 2004, 11:37 AM
colex
Scooby Regular

They quite often (well every 6 months or so) have a mobile unit parked up on the right past the 3 Frogs going into Wokingham. Didn't spot them myself this morning but I'm sure I wasn't speeding .
The rubbers are likely to be part of a speed profile exercise to review effectiveness of speed limits. If the results show too much deviation expect the 30 mph limit to be moved further out of the town (St Annes Manor bend?)
Old 23 November 2004, 11:44 AM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

heard about a conjestion charge around there

if theres rubbers around then you slow down for them cos if they get high numbers of speeders then theyll have a van round there a week or two later

Last edited by InvisibleMan; 23 November 2004 at 11:46 AM.
Old 24 November 2004, 12:50 PM
MadMark
Scooby Regular

Surely the "rubbers" can only calculate number of wheels over them - not speed?
Old 24 November 2004, 12:58 PM
colex
Scooby Regular

Surely the "rubbers" can only calculate number of wheels over them - not speed?
Apparently they have programmed in various axle profiles and weights and based on the time difference between front and rear axle can calculate the speed. I don't know exactly how it works but I have seen the output from one of the surveys carried out in Wokingham (my ex works at the council - in traffic management )
Old 24 November 2004, 01:04 PM
FB Tuning
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by colex
Apparently they have programmed in various axle profiles and weights and based on the time difference between front and rear axle can calculate the speed. I don't know exactly how it works but I have seen the output from one of the surveys carried out in Wokingham (my ex works at the council - in traffic management )
AFAIK thet have 2 sets of rubber strips over a fixed distance to perform the speed calculation

Richard
Old 24 November 2004, 01:55 PM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

I'm no physics professor but how about when a car springs compress - surely more weight it pushed down through the axle, similarly when they uncompress at the top of the bounce their will be less weight on the axle. And what happens if someone is carrying a half a ton of Ikea flat pack plus 3 kids? There's so many variables that surely this cannot be a reliable means of measuring the cars speed and knowing that the car at the "entrance" to the zone is the same one at the "exit".
Old 24 November 2004, 02:28 PM
MadMark
Scooby Regular

Miniman - I agree - we need help!
Old 24 November 2004, 02:56 PM
colex
Scooby Regular

Miniman - I agree - we need help!
Ok - when she gets back off her hols I'll ask for a full explanation
Old 24 November 2004, 03:17 PM
MadMark
Scooby Regular

Cheers Colex
Old 24 November 2004, 07:45 PM
Johnhowell
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fiestaboy
AFAIK thet have 2 sets of rubber strips over a fixed distance to perform the speed calculation

Richard
This is my understanding as well:

2 rubber tubes 1 metre apart for speed - it is the puff of air down the tube that triggers a sensor,

1 rubber tube for counting only - there is not differentiation better vehicles. For that you need induction loops, like the onces set in to the road surface at traffic lights. These work by the magnetic field of the vehicle interacting with the field of the loop inducing current, these can be set very accurately indeed. Some people think the rectangle on the road senses weight, it does not. I understand in Reading there are roads where the buses go against the oneway system and some OGVs try and use the lane as well and have been caught at gates that are set for buses/coaches only. Being of a certain size they can not reverse out of the gateway so get done by the Police.

John
Old 24 November 2004, 09:57 PM
colex
Scooby Regular

You could well be right John (sound right anyway). Maybe that's why my ex became an ex - I didn't listen to her. Still, I'll ask her anyway - I'm curious now.
Old 25 November 2004, 11:14 AM
FB Tuning
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Johnhowell
This is my understanding as well:

2 rubber tubes 1 metre apart for speed - it is the puff of air down the tube that triggers a sensor,

1 rubber tube for counting only - there is not differentiation better vehicles. For that you need induction loops, like the onces set in to the road surface at traffic lights. These work by the magnetic field of the vehicle interacting with the field of the loop inducing current, these can be set very accurately indeed. Some people think the rectangle on the road senses weight, it does not. I understand in Reading there are roads where the buses go against the oneway system and some OGVs try and use the lane as well and have been caught at gates that are set for buses/coaches only. Being of a certain size they can not reverse out of the gateway so get done by the Police.

John
Just out of interest...

If i wheelie my motorbike across one of these sets of 2 rubber strips, will it 'think' that the vehicle behind's front axle is in fact my back axle IYSWIM
...therefore, putting the whole thing out of sync?
Richard
Old 29 November 2004, 11:07 AM
colex
Scooby Regular

John - you are correct.
The counters were for a speed survey and there will be appearing, in the near future, some vehicle activated signs along London Road.
Old 02 December 2004, 09:05 PM
Nexuas
Scooby Regular

I got zapped my a mobile laser gun on the other way from the A329M into bracknell at the coppid beech dong 50 in a 40, but was nice a polite and got told not to do it again and sent on my way...

I did notice on the way into Reading town centre the other day the DVLA were doing road tax spotting...
Old 10 February 2005, 09:35 AM
colex
Scooby Regular

John - you are correct.
The counters were for a speed survey and there will be appearing, in the near future, some vehicle activated signs along London Road.
I notice that they are up now!!
Old 10 February 2005, 04:45 PM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

so thats up permenant there now? went passed at 30 but it still flashed up...they dont activate anything elsewhere do they?
Old 11 February 2005, 03:46 PM
colex
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by InvisibleMan
so thats up permenant there now? went passed at 30 but it still flashed up...they dont activate anything elsewhere do they?
I'll find out