Notices
Was it you? Spotted another scooby? Find out if they're here. By popular demand, the "was it you" forum :-)

Dead scooby in chelt

Search this Thread

Old 02 March 2003, 10:52 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saw it all in my rear view,
I am so so gutted for you mate, glad to see you and girlfriend ok though,
even though you only got it yesterday
get another, don't be put off.

all other details withheld for a bit of privacy for the bloke

I am almost in tears seeing it steaming away with the airbags hanging out like that

Andy off to bed, depressed now)
Old 03 March 2003, 12:29 PM
Twigster
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Was this a silver UK with a Magnex exhaust? If so we met him when all the Wales boys did our rolling road at powerstation on Saturday.. Would be a real shame if it's the same guy, as he seemed like a top lad, Glad to hear everyone OK though!!
Old 03 March 2003, 06:25 PM
DRUNKNORGY
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Made the Echo tonight,whole page, pics and all, Quote 'Wall wrecked by Boy Racer'.

Still if you are going to nail it IMO, find an open road first, a busy town centre isn't really the place to test your cars performance.

Could have been alot worse, at least the car can be replaced.

BTW, the local boy racers, sorry 'cruisers'(who normally hammer around the ring road) were quick to distance themselves from you, and however quick your car is, they live here and know the roads
inside out(they spend every weekend going round and round the same circuit)

Ash

[Edited by DRUNKNORGY - 3/3/2003 6:33:55 PM]
Old 03 March 2003, 06:34 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

you beat me to it drunk

here it is in full..

[Edited by Fuzz - 3/3/2003 6:35:16 PM]
Old 03 March 2003, 07:41 PM
DRUNKNORGY
Scooby Regular

Painful to read when its a scooby, but a local half decent driver in a mini would embarase 95% of cars regardless of performance around town.

I was on a rideout on the old (lilybrook hill) Cirencester road with about 5 of my biker mates last weekend (They were up from London and didn't know the roads)and we followed an MX6, Now I know the road and would have had no problem staying with him as he risked life and limb overtaking every car he got behind, and every single bike in our group could have easily anihilated him on performance, but the gritters had been out, and me leading the group, didn't want to put them at risk on a twisty road trying to follow him, as he had local knowledge of the roads (he turned off into a residential road as we entered Cirencester).

We were in his playground (and he knew it)

Ash
Old 03 March 2003, 07:55 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

So the paper spends a whole column going on about racing and then the police admit they have no evidence that this was the case... WELL DONE PAPER

Andy
Old 03 March 2003, 08:03 PM
Defiant
Scooby Newbie

Yeah-I also saw the deceased Scooby in Cheltenham last night. I was also just in front when he veered of the road. I guess it just brings it home that we are not invincible even with 4WD cars.
As somebody said earlier, if you got to put your big toe down, take it out of town on the country roads or motorways. Last nights accident could quite easily of involved padestrians and things could of been a whole lot more serious.
That said knowone was injured, cars can be replaced and I,d be a hipacrit to say I've never booted my car in a place I shouldnt off in my younger years.
Carl

[Edited by Defiant - 3/3/2003 8:07:18 PM]
Old 03 March 2003, 08:04 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Sid,
your lucky to get decent spelling in that rag, let alone a decent story....sorry FACTUAL REPORT... (allegedly )

Drunk,
Old Ciren to Chelt road mmmmmmmmmm :
nice bit of tarmac that
(best taken, toward Chelt, in my opinion )

Andy
Old 03 March 2003, 08:15 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

evenin carl,
lurking on scoobynet now are we
it's adictive you know,
next you'll be selling the rover and buying one lol

Andy
Old 03 March 2003, 09:10 PM
Blue Flame
Scooby Newbie

Unhappy

Used to be a fan of the Chelt inner ring road myself a few years ago !!! Moved out to the countryside - other side of the country now - but I do miss giving a bit of stick to those young guns in their Nova's !!.

We recond that you could do about three complete laps at great speed then get on out of there - always in a differant direction !!

Old 03 March 2003, 10:05 PM
DRUNKNORGY
Scooby Regular

To be fair Andy, You know,and I know that the lads who claim to be cruising (driving within the 30mph limits)are redlining their cars around town(you only have to sit on Boots Corner and see them nailing through there at 45-50). It wouldn't be so bad if they could drive but half of them don't have the experience to handle real performance yet.

IMO its not driving fast which makes you a good driver, its knowing when not to. These kids are turning up from Bristol/Brum etc,Who don't know the roads and try and take on the local lads, In the good weather with all of the pi$$ed up clubbers staggering around, will sooner or later be involved in a fatal accident. The odds are stacked against them as its been going on for too long.

If I was in the position to own a scoob, I'd be looking to do track days or rally stages (and doing it properly)

I'm organising a ride into the black mountains in the summer and we do stick to the limits in the 30's (the open road is a different matter though), We bikers have such bad press, we don't want them to spoil our fun where the only danger is to ourselves.

Ash
Old 03 March 2003, 10:19 PM
russell hayward
Scooby Regular

Go back to the early 80's (gulp) and it was the same story in Chelt. Don't remember anyone hitting brick walls then.

Mind you, we did timed runs from Coronation Sqaure to Lex and back. After all, if you go too fast round the town, you may miss the view

I was, of course, only a passenger as I was far too young to drive.
Old 03 March 2003, 10:48 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

those were the days, turn up at around 8, drive flat out and I mean FLAT out till about 10:30 then head home suitably knackered

long gone now, times have changed

Andy
Old 04 March 2003, 05:13 PM
Steve3drALS
Scooby Regular

Cant belive i missed this post, esp as i was gona post the same myself...

Coronation square to Lex roundabout? Down lizzy way? ****, the speeds you can get down there would make that fookin dangerous, thas about 1.5miles of almost straight 30mph road, any half decent scooby etc could hit 150, **** that.

Ive never seen a crash in town before, tons of near misses tho, and with there more n more people out on the pi55 on sundays its gona get more likely people gona get mown down.

I remember years back doing exactly what blue flame said, in there, 3 laps at mad speed, then get out of town as fast as u can using whatever backroads u can. Can still do that jus not at remotley sociable hours, try 3am-5am weekdays...

I dont even bother goin into town/kingsditch anymore on sundays, not because you cant drive fast (as i got no problem with that, its mad/stupid to drive fast round town or anywhere busy), purely because the cars are lame, 100s of almost std shopping cars, real cars with real power are almost non existant...

For a FEW weeks behind matalan was good (tho never THAT safe, but better than the road), head to head drag races off the public highway, but then everyone found out about it, it got packed, and became VERY dangerous. And that one night a brand new UK300 tried to go round the exit corner too fast and ended up on its roof...

The post has been edited to remove the content about planning a "race" on public roads. Scoobynet does not condone that type of activity.

[Edited by Little Miss WRX - 3/5/2003 7:55:19 AM]
Old 04 March 2003, 06:26 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Oh dear, this isn't the way I want this post to start heading.

Andy
Old 04 March 2003, 07:00 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

mods must still be munching on thier pancakes
Old 04 March 2003, 07:39 PM
russell hayward
Scooby Regular

dear oh dear !!!!
Old 04 March 2003, 07:40 PM
Blue Flame
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Nice plan Steve3drAls,

I would be there with you, but no longer live in the area, but here are a few old favouite routes for you to try if you have not found them already ...from Glos A38 to Tewks .. get off at Norton go through village and past the pub by the river - single track lane but good views ahead and if you dare you can take off over the hump bridge !!

Also lots of lanes round the back of stoke orchard / bishops cleeve area - take the B cleeve road to Evesham A435 after the garage LHS about half mile or so on take one of the lefts second one (I think to Gotherington) is the one - nice and bendy - good views eventually you will go over a level crossing - you will go over M5 and end up in the back of Tredington - turn right through the village (toward A38) and a take the first right toward the golf driving range - again nice bends and good views - slow through villages - at the end of the road you will come to the tewks / evesham road A46 - turn right over bridge watch the camera - past the army depot and then right B4079 and the really long snakey bends - at the end turn right to b cleeve and then you can look out for the right to start the drive all over again - but faster !!! - by the way great at night with lots of lights - see how many rabbits you can assist with any constipation they may have !!!!

Also tried the behind Matalan thing - I have a UK300 - but it stays on all 4 wheels !!

Have fun - Blue Flame.

PS - How fast up Birdlip ??
Old 04 March 2003, 08:57 PM
Defiant
Scooby Newbie

Cool

Yeah-sounds good to have somewhere out of town, perhaps an old dissused airstrip would be ideal. Could have little drag runs all night till your heart's content. Im sure there was one out Withington way but dont know if its been shut of in recent years.
Matalan, going back before Christmas was always good to watch. Even had the odd Ferrari take a run down there on a few occasions.
Attracts all sorts once the word gets round, shame it's often the same old Nova crew tho.
Hers looking forward to the next good idea........
Old 04 March 2003, 09:14 PM
PAS
Scooby Regular

Fuzz

Causing trouble again mate put your lid on
you will need it tut tut tut

Muppet
Old 04 March 2003, 09:29 PM
Steve3drALS
Scooby Regular

Blueflame, yep, thas some good roads you mentioned! Another very close one to what you mentioned was if you turn right jus before that bridge before the army base, heads in same sort of direction as the road after the bridge, and has some VERY fun bits (hell, all the roads round there do), a while back i worked in ashchurch and had a 205gti as my daily driver and down those lanes flat out every night was pretty much my incentive for bothering to turn up to work!

Defiant, there is an old airstrip at, ummm, where the roman villa is... unmm... Chedworth, thas it, sort of towards cirencester. One section of a road is part of the disused airfield, but acess to the rest of airfield i dont know about. One thing is isnt being used for anything else, the ground around the airfield is used for growing crops i presume, but just mud every time ive seen it.

Matalan was good till it got out of hand and too busy. Used to get loads of quite serious cars there before it got too well known with the crappy combat kitted corsa crew. I can think of ferraris there twice, both 355s, a black 355 convirtible and a normal red 355. But a motorbike bloke got knocked off n serioulsy hurt one night, the scooby ended up on its roof another night, and i remember a clio going into the back of a bimmer too.
At least there all wed likely to endaner are ourselfs rather than any pedestrians etc...

Obv because of the overly PC attitude of this BB i know its "wrong" and "irrisponsible" to suggest what i did on my last post, but simple fact is a hell of a lot of people with powerful cars like to use em, on the road, and moaning about it on here or wherevers not ging to stop them. And what im suggesting is not far off being as safe as a track or dragstrip as there are REALLY nobody on that stretch of road at night, its a 70limit, its completley in middle of nowhere, and wide and straight. Damn sight safer than what id guess most scooby peeps often do which is tearing round the twisty A/B roads on sunday aftenoons etc etc etc.
And taking the powerful cars away from town centre ringroads makes life a lot safer for a lot of people...

Id be well up for it, but geting all the decent cars there without the shat cars and lil ******* knowing is fookin hard. At least if was based at the park n ride / trading estate at the far end means people arnt likely to see or hear us, as there not a house for miles and its a load of no thru roads...

There is the car madness in birmingham on saturday nights with some REALLY mad cars, loads of crazy skylines, cossies, Brabus/AMG mercs, V8 things, allsorts, and not really many lil ******* in sheds, but its what i said MADNESS, fookin dangerous, the people are crazy, some cars worth 3 times what ours probably are, but driven like they dont care if they live or die, and they completley ignore the police who turn up.

Nutters, but how mad busy chelt ring rd is on sundays these days it jus as dangerous i spose (and no fun for a realy powerful car anyhow), so my ideas the sensible choise (as well as the most fun!)...

Old 04 March 2003, 09:51 PM
DRUNKNORGY
Scooby Regular

How about Avon Park Raceway at Long Marston (Near Stratford upon Avon, You can do it for real on a 'run what you brung'day and its relatively inexpensive (only 30 miles from Chelt)
Old 05 March 2003, 01:23 AM
Steve3drALS
Scooby Regular

Yep, i go to the RWYBs at Avon Park, its good as its relativley quiet compared to SantaPod. Itd be good if we could get a lot of "locals" there as it always good to know who you beat (or got beat by!).

One problem is they not "that" often.

And only other thing to be aware of is that if you got a terminal speed of over 100mph you MUST wear a helmet.

First time i went, no helmet as didnt know this rule, first ever official 1/4mile run terminal speed of 110mph, wasnt allowed to run again all day...
Old 17 March 2003, 08:21 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Just an up date from the cheltenham grapevine.

The owner of the dead scoob (Paul) got a pay out from the insurance Saturday.
£10,000
and waht did he pay for it...
£10,000
lucky, lucky boy.
He's now looking at a BMW (forget which model).
He did have his eye on another scoob but apparently the missus said "you get another one of those and we are finished"
(she was top totty too ) so I can see why he's getting a beemer

Andy
Old 17 March 2003, 08:26 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Are the police causing him any hassle?

Andy
Old 20 March 2003, 11:03 AM
bits'n'pieces
Scooby Regular

Talking

if she has a pond behind her wall, my mate may have left a metro turbo in it about 10 years ago ! ? Same road anyway !
Old 20 March 2003, 01:55 PM
DRUNKNORGY
Scooby Regular

I'm wondering what speed he was doing when it broke loose ?