Notices
Wanted Tell us what you're looking for and someone here is very likely to be able to help you find it.

Twin Plate Clutch or Similar Capabilities

Search this Thread

Old 22 December 2011, 10:42 PM
AkCustomz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin Plate Clutch or Similar Capabilities

Was going to buy a new friction disc for my ogura racing clutch but would have to be shipped from japan taking upto 3weeks and total £450inc vat!

So looking for a 5speed twin plate or similar that will handle 420/450ftlb and upwards.

If its a 6speed then would prefer a 6speed starter to be supplied aswell

And before anyone mentions yes i am aware gus has one for sale but 700 is out my budget
Old 22 December 2011, 11:24 PM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you considered the ACT paddle clutches. They have been handling way in excess of what you plan and are reasonably priced.
Old 22 December 2011, 11:30 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a 6 speed Excedy pink mate and the flywheel and starter. 6 speed kit is always going to take more power because it's a bigger diameter clutch so you might as well use it

How's the car running?
Old 22 December 2011, 11:58 PM
Arch
Scooby Regular

The 6 speed is not a bigger diameter and is rated exactly the same as a 5 speed. The only difference in the 5 speed and 6 speed Exeedy twin plates is the cover the stator and driven plates are exactly the same.
Old 23 December 2011, 12:05 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Thinking about it you might be right about the diameter but the 6 speed clutch takes slightly more power
Old 23 December 2011, 04:24 PM
AkCustomz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Arch
Have you considered the ACT paddle clutches. They have been handling way in excess of what you plan and are reasonably priced.
I did look into them before but thats as far as it went. I still would like a twin plate or even single plate like my ogura. But aslong as i can get it asap like always i so stupid and leave things till last second lol.

Originally Posted by Paulo P
Get a 6 speed Excedy pink mate and the flywheel and starter. 6 speed kit is always going to take more power because it's a bigger diameter clutch so you might as well use it

How's the car running?
hmmm i dunno what did you end up using in yours? How is your build btw?
Sorry i didn't get back to you on the parts got swamped with other things and by the time i got news i thought it be pointless lol.

Its been an emotional bumpy ride to say the least lol. Just been trying to iron out a few issues before my final tweak with Simon. But it did well on the first mapping session(380/420 if i remember right)only let down by misfiring but sorted that now and found a load of other problems haha.

Want another clutch as i don't want to waste another tweak with Simon. As much as its good to see him work his magic on the scoob i would prefer paying a woman a for a different kind of show with that money HAHAHA!
Old 23 December 2011, 05:52 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

That's ok mate I used all 6 speed gear on mine and I'm running an excedy pink.

It's all up and running now and it's great fun thanks, glad to have it running but the map needs finishing because the pump was failing so I had to change that afterwards. My turbo is a bit big for a 2 litre so it's not making boost 'til late but to be honest it's not really an issue and it makes plenty of power
Old 23 December 2011, 06:43 PM
AkCustomz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paulo P
That's ok mate I used all 6 speed gear on mine and I'm running an excedy pink.

It's all up and running now and it's great fun thanks, glad to have it running but the map needs finishing because the pump was failing so I had to change that afterwards. My turbo is a bit big for a 2 litre so it's not making boost 'til late but to be honest it's not really an issue and it makes plenty of power
Thats great news what figures did you make? Sounds like billet upgrade would suit your needs Mark at lateral qouted me £650+vat for billet upgrade an refresh of seals etc. But it would be cheaper for you as mine is the rarer md321t+ i have been told.

So clutch is holding up fine? what are they rated to anyway?
Old 24 December 2011, 01:15 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

It made 420bhp and 360(ish) lbft of torque but the torque was low on the rollers because it wasn't producing full boost until 500rpm later than it makes it on the road so in reality the torque is higher.

Clutch is absolutely sweet and they are rated to 450bhp.
Old 24 December 2011, 02:15 AM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Sorry but your wrong the 6 speed does not take more torque. I had a 5 speed and a 6 speed sat together last month, the driven plates and the stator plates and the flywheel are identical with the same part numbers. I have also had this confirmed by an exeedy dealer. The charts below also confirm this.
The cover plates are the only difference hence why you only need a very slight mod to a 5 speed case to fit a 6 speed twin into a 5 speed box.

http://www.rogerclarkmotorsport.co.u...?productID2696

http://www.rogerclarkmotorsport.co.u...productID=2689
Old 24 December 2011, 02:46 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Arch
Sorry but your wrong the 6 speed does not take more torque. I had a 5 speed and a 6 speed sat together last month, the driven plates and the stator plates and the flywheel are identical with the same part numbers. I have also had this confirmed by an exeedy dealer. The charts below also confirm this.
The cover plates are the only difference hence why you only need a very slight mod to a 5 speed case to fit a 6 speed twin into a 5 speed box.

http://www.rogerclarkmotorsport.co.u...?productID2696

http://www.rogerclarkmotorsport.co.u...productID=2689

I think we are at cross purposes here mate, I'm not talking about twin plates I'm talking about single plate organic clutches and I'm led to believe the 6 speed one is stronger than the 5 speed one (and I may be wrong).

I'd love a twin plate because they are awesome and they also drive well with no judder but they don't come cheap Money no object I'd get a twin plate but I can't do it now so I've gone for a single.
Old 24 December 2011, 09:40 PM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Thread is about twin plates tho.
Old 24 December 2011, 09:53 PM
need4speeduk
Scooby Regular

Why buy a twin when the ACT can handle more and are cheaper?