Notices
Wanted Tell us what you're looking for and someone here is very likely to be able to help you find it.

any advice on wagons please

Search this Thread

Old 04 October 2005, 09:50 PM
moneys
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool any advice on wagons please

hello ive only just registered on this site and im after some advice on subaru classics. im looking at buying a sportswagon MY99/00 and would welcome any help , being new to the scooby scene i would appreciate any pointers on possible problems with buying a classic scooby. i,m after a wagon thats prefferably in standard form and well looked after. i also only want a UK car with full history. could anyone also inform of what the basic spec is i.e: bucket seats a/c . thankyou
Old 05 October 2005, 08:16 PM
Mark_S
Scooby Regular

MY99/00 wagon is a good compromise, luggage space is a bit more flexible than 4dr, perhaps a bit more road noise tho and not to everyones choice. Go for a UK or a "full" UK spec car, many of these were personal imports from Holland & Belgium around this time and are a great choice as they cost less to buy but but are mechanically the same as the UK and insurance costs the same. The MY00 has bucket seats but a/c was not standard although many are fitted with it. Make sure the car you get has a cat1 alarm (UK's had the Sigma m30 fitted at the docks iirc, I would be surprised though if many are being driven around without a cat1 now. The one thing I hated on the car though was the lights which frankly were sh&te. Look out for a wagon with Scoobysport lights, these are Cibies which really do the business. Other than that the only other problem area is the maf which doesnt last very long. These cost about £80 and take 5 minutes to fit, BUT..... if you ignore the symptoms of a failing maf it can be very expensive, so ask when the maf was last changed.
Old 05 October 2005, 08:25 PM
moneys
Scooby Regular

Cool thanks

Originally Posted by Mark_S
MY99/00 wagon is a good compromise, luggage space is a bit more flexible than 4dr, perhaps a bit more road noise tho and not to everyones choice. Go for a UK or a "full" UK spec car, many of these were personal imports from Holland & Belgium around this time and are a great choice as they cost less to buy but but are mechanically the same as the UK and insurance costs the same. The MY00 has bucket seats but a/c was not standard although many are fitted with it. Make sure the car you get has a cat1 alarm (UK's had the Sigma m30 fitted at the docks iirc, I would be surprised though if many are being driven around without a cat1 now. The one thing I hated on the car though was the lights which frankly were sh&te. Look out for a wagon with Scoobysport lights, these are Cibies which really do the business. Other than that the only other problem area is the maf which doesnt last very long. These cost about £80 and take 5 minutes to fit, BUT..... if you ignore the symptoms of a failing maf it can be very expensive, so ask when the maf was last changed.
thanks for the advice. could you please tell me what a maf is though please and is there anything else really to worry about ?
Old 05 October 2005, 10:14 PM
Mark_S
Scooby Regular

maf = mass air flow sensor, based on readings from this the engine puts in more or less fuel. If the maf is faulty then it can under fuel - very bad for turbo engines, the MY00 is otherwise fairly robust, I had no problems with mine other than fitting a new maf that is.

As with all cars listen carefully for any untoward sounds (the top end is generally quite noisy anyway, more a case of listening for knocking or piston slap). If in doubt take a knowledgeable friend with you.
Old 06 October 2005, 11:29 PM
SCD Simon
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by moneys
hello ive only just registered on this site and im after some advice on subaru classics. im looking at buying a sportswagon MY99/00 and would welcome any help , being new to the scooby scene i would appreciate any pointers on possible problems with buying a classic scooby. i,m after a wagon thats prefferably in standard form and well looked after. i also only want a UK car with full history. could anyone also inform of what the basic spec is i.e: bucket seats a/c . thankyou
Bucket seats were standard from 97 iirc but a/c was an option.
The other options were leather and a sunroof.
Only bother i've had was the MAF went a while back and i now have a spare ready for the next time
Old 07 October 2005, 08:37 PM
moneys
Scooby Regular

Cool

thanks very much for your help . the only problem ive got is trying to find a good wagon now. if anyone knows of any for a max of £6000 please let me know. i,ve got a feeling it will be quite some time till i get my hands on my first scooby though.

Originally Posted by SCD Simon
Bucket seats were standard from 97 iirc but a/c was an option.
The other options were leather and a sunroof.
Only bother i've had was the MAF went a while back and i now have a spare ready for the next time
Old 07 October 2005, 10:21 PM
Mark_S
Scooby Regular

Try to get a MY99 onward, these have the reprogrammable ECU and suffer less from piston slap. I dont think your budget is unreasonable if you go for a slightly higher mileage car.
Just re-read my posts, kinda looks a bit -ve, these are fantastic cars and for the money nothing really touches them, just make sure you get a good one.
Old 08 October 2005, 10:05 AM
smiff99
Scooby Regular

Take a look at the thread "Wagons Stand Up And Show Yourselves" in the members gallery, lots of nice wagons on show to maybe give you a few ideas.

I've owned two of these, a WRX and at present an STI running a few mods, very stealth like compared to the 2 or 4 door's

Good luck.....Jon.
Old 21 December 2005, 11:13 PM
moneys
Scooby Regular

WAHAY thankfully after over 2 months of searching ive found a scooby wagon. after much arguing the wife agreed to me having some more money and i found this one on e-bay, i had to travel all the way to watford for her (400 mile round trip from my house) but i think she is worth it. its tottally standard apart from the headlight conversion which i would of only done myself anyway, its only done 42k and its got full history and one previous owner. not sure on any mods yet but if i do i will probably just stay fairly modest with a new exhaust and ecu re-map ( any advice on exhausts will be appreciated i dont want anything to loud as i go out at 5.30 in the morning to work and dont want to wake up the neighborhood) . im over the moon with the car though and im really suprised at how refined it is, the fuel consumption is a bit of an eye opener but i was half expecting it anyway. only real problem ive got is the next service is the cambelt one but after speaking to my local subaru garage ( holdcraft of widnes ) i was informed this would only cost £420 , this seems very reasonable to me but if anyone can advise me differantly please do. i also got my insurance fully comp off a-plan for £740 which im also made up with. all in all in the first week of owning my scooby im finding it hard to fault it and im driving the wife mad talking about it all the time, please do let me know though of any good mods that i can look at carrying out .
thanks ste