Notices

expansion tank

Search this Thread

Old 28 February 2014, 06:01 PM
andyleonard55
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default expansion tank

Noticed today that after a short run of about 3 miles the level in the expansion tank had risen a good 2 to 3 inches, not sure if this is normal,the temperature gauge never goes above half so its not over heating but since last september I did top up the coolant about an inch a couple of weeks ago.It may sound a bit of a stupid question but it is of course a 2.5 with the supposed chocolate pistons.Any imput welcome before I bother the Arches.
Old 28 February 2014, 07:07 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I am at Three Arches on Monday, I'll ask.
Old 28 February 2014, 10:00 PM
The Sheep Worrier
Scooby Regular

Or pop anothet thread in the snet general section, you may get a quicker responce.
Old 28 February 2014, 10:23 PM
Peter Pan
Scooby Regular

You know the response Andy's likely to get, the usual doom and gloom advice that you read on every non forged 2.5 engine thread Rob.
Andy, if it's a concern pop it into Three Arches and get it checked out to be 100%
Old 28 February 2014, 11:35 PM
eafertynyne
Scooby Regular

Mine's doing exactly the same... Unfortunately it's the very early stages of head gasket failure. It's difficult to diagnose too.

Drive off boost and keep a close eye on the coolant levels and temp gauge until you get it checked out/sorted.
Old 01 March 2014, 06:43 PM
The Sheep Worrier
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jayp71
You know the response Andy's likely to get, the usual doom and gloom advice that you read on every non forged 2.5 engine thread Rob.
Andy, if it's a concern pop it into Three Arches and get it checked out to be 100%
Valid point, and im of the same thoughts, however sometimes the likes of special x (scoobyclinic) , api or people like rob84 will jump on and give valid, experinced advice. Worth a go.
Old 01 March 2014, 07:09 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

From personal experience drive if off boost and get it to Three Arches for them to inspect, better to be safe rather than sorry.

If it is a head gasket failed then the more you drive it then the more damage and cost you might incur.
Old 03 March 2014, 12:41 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get the header tank and expansion tank level set so you know where it is and give it a proper hard run for 5 - 10 miles then let all settle and see what happens. It probably is the beginning of a head gasket failure. But don't panic until you have some decent data for us to consider. Just opening the bonnet and looking at it will not bring a sensible diagnosis.

That won't do any harm unless the temp gauge starts to rise in which case get off the power ASP and keep driving steadily to cool everything. DO NOT switch it off as heat soak from the excess temperature will boil everything and it'll chuck a load of water out.

Cheers, Good Luck David
Old 03 March 2014, 01:22 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Originally Posted by APIDavid
Get the header tank and expansion tank level set so you know where it is and give it a proper hard run for 5 - 10 miles then let all settle and see what happens. It probably is the beginning of a head gasket failure. But don't panic until you have some decent data for us to consider. Just opening the bonnet and looking at it will not bring a sensible diagnosis.

That won't do any harm unless the temp gauge starts to rise in which case get off the power ASP and keep driving steadily to cool everything. DO NOT switch it off as heat soak from the excess temperature will boil everything and it'll chuck a load of water out.

Cheers, Good Luck David
You have to love ScoobyNet .
Old 03 March 2014, 05:38 PM
andyleonard55
Scooby Regular

This is when scooby net comes up trumpsDan gave me some good advise over the weekend which I followed to the letter so the cars going to the Arches in the morning and fingers crossed the diagnosis will be good ,if not I,ll have to save more pennies.Ive owned the Hatch for nearly 3 years a record for me and really dont want to see it go I enjoy every minute of driving it.Thanks to all for the advice.
Old 03 March 2014, 06:03 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Originally Posted by andyleonard55
This is when scooby net comes up trumpsDan gave me some good advise over the weekend which I followed to the letter so the cars going to the Arches in the morning and fingers crossed the diagnosis will be good ,if not I,ll have to save more pennies.Ive owned the Hatch for nearly 3 years a record for me and really dont want to see it go I enjoy every minute of driving it.Thanks to all for the advice.
If the worst happens, you will enjoy it even more when it's sorted . I have just picked the RA up after a health check from Three Arches and the lads have been brill again.

BUT I hope your problems are minor.
Old 03 March 2014, 07:17 PM
andyleonard55
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
If the worst happens, you will enjoy it even more when it's sorted . I have just picked the RA up after a health check from Three Arches and the lads have been brill again.

BUT I hope your problems are minor.
+They always are Ian, thats why it will not be going anywhere else even if the worst happens
Old 03 March 2014, 07:34 PM
Peter Pan
Scooby Regular

Fingers crossed for you Andy it'll be fine but keep us posted of the outcome
Old 04 March 2014, 04:52 PM
andyleonard55
Scooby Regular

The hatch is currently at the Three Arches awaiting the delivery of a wait for it lads---------------------------------------------------------------------------a new radiator,seems the rad seals were slightly leaking and evaporating so it was hard to detect.Dean has done a sniff test and cannot detect exhaust gases in the antifreeze so thats good.Just awaiting the rad and having a high flow stat fitted to keep her even cooler then just the MOT and alls good.Happy Days
Old 04 March 2014, 04:59 PM
andyleonard55
Scooby Regular

Just noticed,whats with the new names,Peter Pan and the Sheep Worrier,sounds like the title of some mucky video lying around on the shelf of the private shop in Canton
Old 04 March 2014, 05:05 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by andyleonard55
The hatch is currently at the Three Arches awaiting the delivery of a wait for it lads---------------------------------------------------------------------------a new radiator,seems the rad seals were slightly leaking and evaporating so it was hard to detect.Dean has done a sniff test and cannot detect exhaust gases in the antifreeze so thats good.Just awaiting the rad and having a high flow stat fitted to keep her even cooler then just the MOT and alls good.Happy Days
WELL DONE JEEZ you're lucky

Care to tell me your lottery numbers?

David APi
Old 04 March 2014, 07:14 PM
Peter Pan
Scooby Regular

That's great news Andy and a big relief for you no doubt. Had the same user name since joining in 2007 so thought it was time for a change.
Old 04 March 2014, 07:47 PM
The Sheep Worrier
Scooby Regular

You did well there Jay, you would have thought that username would have been used already!
Mine however, well, not many would admit to liking and appreciating "the finer things in life" ( up in ye olde beacons here), and everyone knows what we all get up to of a lonely night, so i thought its time i stopped living in denial and fessed up to my love of the wooly ladies

Well done to the lads at three arches, sounds like theyve done a sterling job as usual
Old 06 March 2014, 04:31 PM
andyleonard55
Scooby Regular

Just to say a big thankyou to the lads at the Arches the usual top quality service I,ve come to expect long may it continue.Thanks guys