Notices

Mmmnnnn?

Search this Thread

Old 16 December 2013, 08:09 PM
GONZO01
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mmmnnnn?

£8,000-£8,500 what new age Scooby would you buy jdm uk wrx sti or something else? A low mileage model with average power or a highish mileage one with good mods?
Old 16 December 2013, 08:23 PM
The Stitcher
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

didnt you ask this before and in the general section ?
Old 16 December 2013, 08:42 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

You keep on asking the same questions on here and Scoobynet General periodically, you should drive both JDM twin scroll and a UK single scroll models then see which one you prefer.

Obviously you buy the car with the lowest mileage that you like, test drive a range of cars or make it along to a meet and see these cars in the flesh.

Believe me highly modified cars are good, but only for so long until they start costing you money by the bucket. Go for a lightly modified car and it'll give you more enjoyment, lower running costs and be worth more in the long run.
Old 16 December 2013, 08:44 PM
GONZO01
Scooby Regular

Yes I did In both sections general and regional. I have the money and not sure what to buy I'm torn between a jdm sti blob or a uk wrx sti want around the 400/400 mark and a good driveable car but not sure to buy a modded one or standard and put money towards it myself. Just want opinions as I want to make the right choice with my money and haven't driven either newage and all the newage models are to far just for me to test drive.
Old 16 December 2013, 09:07 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I did 2 hours each way for my car. If your determind, pull for finger out ffs and instead of humming and arring go and drive some ****ing cars you big girl!

Spend some money on a course in decision making! Your like Madonna in a African orphanage.

Last edited by The Trooper 1815; 16 December 2013 at 09:09 PM.
Old 16 December 2013, 09:08 PM
DYL 4N
Scooby Regular

Classic.
Old 16 December 2013, 09:35 PM
bry with a y
Scooby Regular

Just go with what makes you smile the most,your always gonna spend money it's a scooby so the decision is easy.. No right or wrong answer, I wish the only problem I had was which scooby to buy lol.. Smile factor that's it and enjoy
Old 16 December 2013, 09:44 PM
GONZO01
Scooby Regular

I have no problem in travelling to buy a car I'm just looking for informed opinions on what other's would do in my situation given the budget uk wrx sti or jdm sti both Blobeye. It just seems a bit silly to travel 2,3,4 hours plus to drive a car when I may not be buying it petrol cost etc so if possible when I do travel to buy one however far it will be the right model selection and just wanted informed suggestions before I rush into buying one.
Old 16 December 2013, 09:51 PM
bry with a y
Scooby Regular

Sti uk blobeye :-) easy!! Otherwise there's always Colin McRae rally on Xbox and you don't need to use fuel to get it lmao.. But really choice is sti uk
Old 16 December 2013, 09:56 PM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GONZO01
Yes I did In both sections general and regional. I have the money and not sure what to buy I'm torn between a jdm sti blob or a uk wrx sti want around the 400/400 mark and a good driveable car but not sure to buy a modded one or standard and put money towards it myself. Just want opinions as I want to make the right choice with my money and haven't driven either newage and all the newage models are to far just for me to test drive.
Just curious but why do you have a figure of 400hp in your head? Only reason i ask is because a lightly modified hawkeye sti will produce around the 350hp mark and its more than enough for any road car. I have been out on runs with some big power cars running far more than mine but never found i needed more power to keep up. Big numbers are only good for racing at the lights and hitting the track and in the long term will lead to problems. Only my opinion of course and if you have had a big power car in the past i can understand why you would want another.
Old 16 December 2013, 10:01 PM
GONZO01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by evil.soup
Just curious but why do you have a figure of 400hp in your head? Only reason i ask is because a lightly modified hawkeye sti will produce around the 350hp mark and its more than enough for any road car. I have been out on runs with some big power cars running far more than mine but never found i needed more power to keep up. Big numbers are only good for racing at the lights and hitting the track and in the long term will lead to problems. Only my opinion of course and if you have had a big power car in the past i can understand why you would want another.
I just want a newage car that feels as quick as my classic that running around 320/320 although they are both completely different cars and supposedly different power deliveries but heard on here that a newage would need around 50-70 bhp more to feel the same and 400/400 seems like a sensible reliable figure lol.
Old 16 December 2013, 10:26 PM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Ah right i see where you are coming from. You really do need to get into a newage car and in particular a 2.5. An Sti running 350hp will be running even bigger torque. Low end grunt would certainly be near that of your classic although the power delivery is very different from what i can gather. Some dont like the way the 2.5 drives but i find the low end grunt the most positive aspect of it for me.
Only really one way to find out though. Mine is only running about 280-290hp but 320lbft although you are welcome to have a go if we are in the same place at the same time. May give you a feel for the new age cars.
Old 16 December 2013, 10:39 PM
GONZO01
Scooby Regular

Ah right i see where you are coming from. You really do need to get into a newage car and in particular a 2.5. An Sti running 350hp will be running even bigger torque. Low end grunt would certainly be near that of your classic although the power delivery is very different from what i can gather. Some dont like the way the 2.5 drives but i find the low end grunt the most positive aspect of it for me.
Only really one way to find out though. Mine is only running about 280-290hp but 320lbft although you are welcome to have a go if we are in the same place at the same time. May give you a feel for the new age cars.
Thanks for the info and offer mate I may just hold you to that lol.
Old 16 December 2013, 10:39 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Originally Posted by GONZO01
I have no problem in travelling to buy a car I'm just looking for informed opinions on what other's would do in my situation given the budget uk wrx sti or jdm sti both Blobeye. It just seems a bit silly to travel 2,3,4 hours plus to drive a car when I may not be buying it petrol cost etc so if possible when I do travel to buy one however far it will be the right model selection and just wanted informed suggestions before I rush into buying one.
Again, only YOU can make you mind up.

You have asked numerous times about Evo's, various Scoobs and if you worrying about petrol costs then forget it. Try an old Porker, they can be flat four too. Scoob's aren't the be all and end all of cars.

The newage is more refined than a Classic and may not feel as quick but they are in many cases. It's a bit silly to drive for two hours pay £40 to watch your team lose but people do it.

Your like Louie Spence in a ***** shop.

Last edited by The Trooper 1815; 16 December 2013 at 10:41 PM.
Old 16 December 2013, 10:41 PM
mervil
Scooby Regular

For that you'll be able to get a well sorted Type R which is a fantastic car, less comfortable than a Newage but much more fun

If you do want a Newage then that'll get you a low mileage 2005 STi in the very nice Crystal Grey ! 400bhp is achievable on standard engine !
Old 16 December 2013, 10:48 PM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Thats a thought, for 8-8.5k you can get in a hawkeye sti but usually the spec-D at that price. I dont know exactly why but they seem to go for less money than the in your face spec sti.
Old 16 December 2013, 11:04 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Thats a thought, for 8-8.5k you can get in a hawkeye sti but usually the spec-D at that price. I dont know exactly why but they seem to go for less money than the in your face spec sti.
Engines.
Old 16 December 2013, 11:19 PM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
Engines.
Isnt the spec-D the same spec as the standard sti but without the spoiler, gold wheels fog covers etc, just more low key on the surface with all the underpinnings of the sti?
Old 16 December 2013, 11:26 PM
jbaker21
Scooby Newbie

Jdm v - limited sti can't go wrong with this my friend i pm'd you
Old 16 December 2013, 11:27 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Isnt the spec-D the same spec as the standard sti but without the spoiler, gold wheels fog covers etc, just more low key on the surface with all the underpinnings of the sti?
Yes mate. There ain't many of them, they are not as shouty as the STi but still have the same problems with the 2.5's.
Old 16 December 2013, 11:37 PM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Ah right i see where you are coming from. Didnt the main issues with the 2.5 start with the hatch sti, something to do with an incorrect factory map if you can read anything into the internet talk? That said, they are historically weaker than the 2.0 making them prone to piston ring issues if over modified , again that seems to be the general story on the web.
Old 17 December 2013, 06:57 PM
The Stitcher
Scooby Senior

As some will know i had a classic with a forged 2.5 with 6 speed dccd box running 454.1 bhp and 462 torque at 1.5 bar ( see my album in puplic profile ) it was fun to say the least and was not just the engine but the whole package was done from suspension to brakes

now i have the newage wrx sti ppp and must say im more than happy but always said a well set up car with 300 to 350 is more than enough for the uk roads and for the engine to still be safe

any thing 400 plus from a 2ltr scoob will cost you to get there and then cost you alot in the long run as it can be more prone to blow
Old 17 December 2013, 07:45 PM
apac
Scooby Regular

If you're gonna do it do it properly, don't mamby pamby around. What do you want? A race car or a wanna be race car?
Get a totally stripped out old school RA with roll cage and rock hard suspension and the stickiest tyres money can buy and move to Japan where they have smooth roads. Never mind the horse power you will never get to use it properly unless you take the car to a grand prix circuit, and then you will just sh/t yourself trying to do 130mph around a corner and your nerves will crumble and you will never try it again.

Seriously..... If i was to do it again, that is what i would do,, apart from move to Japan. And probably exhaust and remap, and brake pads of course.

Or if i wanted more for my money, a 2001 bug done the same as above, but happy with the fact that it has better engine, gearbox n brakes. In fact thT is probably the best way to go if you could pick up a cheap bug sti.

Horsepower........shmorsepower, pah!