Notices

urgent help needed please guys!!

Search this Thread

Old 19 May 2012, 07:57 PM
phill_evs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default urgent help needed please guys!!

hi guys as most of you probably has seen ive been in the process of respraying my car for the last two weeks and finally got it all put back togetha this morning and its looking awsome but then when i came to fit my lowring springs i hit a PROBLEM!!!!!!

ok here goes i removed both rear struts and placed strut into spring compressor as you do and i then removed the nut holding the top mount on!! i then went to remove the top mount from the shocker but it will not budge!!! from what i can see it has seized onto the shock!! i then tried the otherside to see if that was the same. and it was. has anyone had this problem or is there a way to get them off as ive tried everything! does this mean ive gotta get new top mounts and new shockers?????? the shockers have been chaged in the passed id say because theyve got kyb ultra sr one on it!! hope you can help me out guys! many thanks
Old 19 May 2012, 08:00 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried a bit of gentle heat Phil?
Old 19 May 2012, 08:04 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

a set of mole grips as high as you can get them up the shaft for the shocker and then a socket on the top nut, if you get the grips high enough it wont damage the seal in normal use.
Old 19 May 2012, 08:07 PM
phill_evs
Scooby Regular

ive got the top nut off incase thats what ur thinkin im trying to get off!its the top mount i cant get off!! i havent tried the heat!! is this a common problem????

Last edited by phill_evs; 19 May 2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old 19 May 2012, 08:10 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

I've come a cross it before on many different makes and models Phil,heat usually works but be sure to heat the outer ring and not the strut thread as you want the ring to expand not the shocker shaft mate
Old 19 May 2012, 08:19 PM
phill_evs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by prodriverules
I've come a cross it before on many different makes and models Phil,heat usually works but be sure to heat the outer ring and not the strut thread as you want the ring to expand not the shocker shaft mate
ive tried pullers and allsorts i dnt know what to do!! new tops are very expensive and shocks!!!arghhh!!! im mad!! u think heat will do it??
Old 19 May 2012, 08:20 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by phill_evs
ive tried pullers and allsorts i dnt know what to do!! new tops are very expensive and shocks!!!arghhh!!! im mad!! u think heat will do it??

I haven't failed with heat as yet mate,it justs needs the lock of the rust breaking

Trending Topics

Old 19 May 2012, 08:28 PM
phill_evs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by prodriverules
I haven't failed with heat as yet mate,it justs needs the lock of the rust breaking
the thread has gone on one of the shockers also but if i can get the mount off i could try tappin that!! it wouldnt even budge with the pressur of the spring on it. im so annoyed.ive had to put them back on the car coz i had to get it off the lift so im going to have to pull them back off and try some heat i guess!!!
Old 19 May 2012, 08:41 PM
WRX RCY
Scooby Regular

Impact gun?
Old 19 May 2012, 08:48 PM
The Stitcher
Scooby Senior

A big mallet
Old 31 May 2012, 09:39 PM
phill_evs
Scooby Regular

Default sorted the problem

well guys i sorted the problem that i had with my car!! the reason i couldnt get the tops off was because someone had fitted up to 2005 struts on to my widetrack which are different. the shocks that someone had fitted in the past were kyb ultra sr and when i rang up the motor factors that supply me all my parts for the garage they turned round and said they didnt list them for my model.they even rng kyb and they said they shouldnt be on my car!!! i was not happy as this meant i needed new struts and top mounts. i was lucky i manged to get a couple from grade A subaru breakers and now is all good!!

heres a pic of my problem

all is good now happy days!!!