Search this Thread

Old 16 February 2012, 08:56 PM
pmcb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust gas through my air vents :/

Hi Folks,

Car is a 2002 bug wagon.

If I have the blower on, whenever I stop at a junction or traffic lights etc - strong smell of exhaust gas through the vents.

I also have recuring CEL - fault code P0171 'System too lean Bank 1'

The same fault comes back within 10 mins of being cleared.

I've looked the fault up with a forum search, and it seems to point at a leak somewhere on the air intake. But I also saw a reference to a blowing exhaust causing the same fault.

Now, even somebody as daft as me knows it's prolly an exhaust leak because I can smell it!

But, I like to ask myself 'what were you doing just BEFORE the problem started'? And the answer = I was fiddling around with the recirc valve ...

I had disconnected the OEM valve, and was having a go at fitting a s/h HKS SSQV (with a WRX adaptor kit) ... it turned out that the stupid valve was a sloppy fit into the stupid adaptor, so I re-fitted the OEM item. I'm pretty sure I fitted it and the pipework back on properly, so I don't think that's the problem - but it is a coincidence

So at present I'm imposing a rev limit of 4k max (doesn't seem any better on fuel though ).

Now I'm not a COMPLETE idiot. But I do find it really hard working in an engine bay these days (chronic bad back ) So I suppose I'm asking where I should start looking for the problem? ... what might be a common cause? ... or perhaps who might do it for me without main-dealer pricing?

I guess (depending on whats wrong) it could be an excuse to source some uprated goodies like a sports cat / up pipe etc...

I went to a local fast-fit tyre & exorst place ... the guy was helpful, and he thought it was blowing from 'under them heat shields there somewhere' but he didn't want to tackle it because 'we don't work on these high performance motors' and 'this is a fast-fit place - it might be tying up the ramp for days'!

Sorry for the long post folks, and any advice appreciated - Phil
Old 16 February 2012, 09:13 PM
Dean'swrx
Scooby Regular

Hi
I have a bugeye and my standard up pipe was cracked but you cannot see for the heat shield. Even with this replaced I can sometimes still get the fumes coming in through the vents when stationary.
Old 01 March 2012, 03:42 AM
pmcb
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate. Its not got any worse, but its time to start collecting some go-faster exhaust parts before having a stab at it
Old 01 March 2012, 05:53 PM
alphaj12
Scooby Regular

I'm glad I'm not the only one then. I picked mine up on Sunday and have started to notice this smell, smells of fuel from a cold start then goes away but then smell faint exhaust fumes at random times. Mine's a 2002 WRX as well, post up if you get to the bottom of it mate.
Old 01 March 2012, 07:54 PM
pmcb
Scooby Regular

Hrm, smelling fuel on cold mornings is a different problem, and could be covered by a Subaru recall IIRC (?)

Mine stinks of exhaust gas. Every time I'm stationary. If the blower is on its straight in the car. Or if its ticking over I can smell it standing near the front, or if the bonnets up.

I think its something like Dean's suggestion of a cracked uppipe, or a gasket or similar.

I think I'll be replacing the whole lot. Uppipe, sports cat, all except my cool Miltek back box that Dylan kindly found for me last year ... I'm looking at changing to sports headers too. Might as well if everything else is going ... I have a pdf workshop manual to go by, but it looks hard work without a ramp ... I'll post it up though

P.S. If anybody has any pipes for sale - aftermarket, or a full prodrive system or something? Please let me know

Cheers - Phil

edit = update: I bought a full Prodrive system from a guy on here, and having that fitted along with a new set of exhaust gaskets - Cured the problem nicely.

Last edited by pmcb; 24 July 2017 at 12:18 PM. Reason: update
Old 02 March 2012, 07:00 PM
alphaj12
Scooby Regular

Need to check mine with bonnet up, seems to come and go so crack or gasket sounds plausible I guess.
Old 02 March 2012, 07:31 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

On a side note I think I've possibly seen your car twice this week PCMB.

Once up by Staunton by the layby just before the 30mph zone on Wednesday afternoon I think, plus possibly today on the Brecon bypass heading towards Abergavenny.
Old 03 March 2012, 01:06 PM
pmcb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder
On a side note I think I've possibly seen your car twice this week PCMB.

Once up by Staunton by the layby just before the 30mph zone on Wednesday afternoon I think, plus possibly today on the Brecon bypass heading towards Abergavenny.
Hi TY

That was me! The Staunton woods are one of my regular dog-walking places And a few other sopts around there. So you're still doing business 'up the forest' then? I can reccomend Deans food van on the other side of Staunton Nice lad Dean is ...

Wasn't me near Aber though. I've only been that way once recently, and that was to Kieth Price last Monday ... I see they have a Cosworth Impreza in there for 'only' 50 grand!

ATB - Phil