Notices

Photography...

Search this Thread

Old 21 August 2011, 10:45 PM
ScoobyStu82
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Photography...

Im looking to buy myself a starter camera for a new hobby and wondered if anyone has any advice for a complete newb.

Iv been looking around and will prob buy either the Nikon D40 or the Nikon D50 as they seem pretty straight forward for the complete beginner and pretty cheap (£150 - £250)
Old 21 August 2011, 11:11 PM
PETER R
Scooby Regular

got a D80 had it about a year , just cant find time atm to use it
Old 22 August 2011, 02:38 PM
Nomad_72
Scooby Regular

Either of the nikons you mentioned would be fine. Also look at the entry level models from canon and Sony. Best thing to do is to handle them all and get a feel for them (the ergonomics of one model might suit you better than another) the one thing I would stress to you is that if you want to get really good results from an SLR and enjoy your new hobby as much as possible then an understanding of basic photography is a MUST. Get yourself a good photography book and study it well. Knowing the ins and outs of the hobby (the relationship between shutter speeds, apertures and how they're affected by focal lengths) will really help you get the most out of photography and get you the results you want. Inbox me if you need any advice, I've been using SLR's since the age of ten, have a photography HND and worked for Jessops for 15 years.
Old 22 August 2011, 04:38 PM
Rally fan 555
Scooby Regular

Ooh nice to know Phil, my daughter's starting a Photography Course in Neath Campus in a few weeks
Old 22 August 2011, 04:39 PM
ScoobyStu82
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nomad_72
Either of the nikons you mentioned would be fine. Also look at the entry level models from canon and Sony. Best thing to do is to handle them all and get a feel for them (the ergonomics of one model might suit you better than another) the one thing I would stress to you is that if you want to get really good results from an SLR and enjoy your new hobby as much as possible then an understanding of basic photography is a MUST. Get yourself a good photography book and study it well. Knowing the ins and outs of the hobby (the relationship between shutter speeds, apertures and how they're affected by focal lengths) will really help you get the most out of photography and get you the results you want. Inbox me if you need any advice, I've been using SLR's since the age of ten, have a photography HND and worked for Jessops for 15 years.
Awsome mate, just what I was after
Old 22 August 2011, 05:03 PM
JUAREZ
Scooby Regular

Digital SLR for dummies is a good book, and there's plenty of others on Amazon etc.
Old 22 August 2011, 06:11 PM
Nomad_72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rally fan 555
Ooh nice to know Phil, my daughter's starting a Photography Course in Neath Campus in a few weeks
Great stuff Si! I hope she enjoys it. If I can help in any way just drop me a line
Old 22 August 2011, 07:15 PM
Rally fan 555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nomad_72
Great stuff Si! I hope she enjoys it. If I can help in any way just drop me a line
Top man Phil