Notices

newbie gearbox blown and timing belt help needed!

Search this Thread

Old 19 May 2011, 11:32 PM
wrx_sti_mudzy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie gearbox blown and timing belt help needed!

hi im new to owning a scooby and its turning to be as bad a experience as i had with owning a pulsar for 7 years

i have a wrx sti classic impreza v2 its in silver and number plate is m***rcy some of you might seen me in swansea it been freshly imported and had 68,000km which is about 43,000miles and was the cleanest early classic i could find at the time for under 4 grand.

my problem is that the original gearbox started leaking from the seal on the inner shaft and got around the clutch which started slipping so i got a new exedy clutch and second hand box which is now blown in a month only gears i get are 5th and reverse.

so now my plan is to get my original box rebuilt so i want to ask do any of guys know where i can get this done in and around swansea that would be a great help!

secondly do any of you know when the timing belt should be changed on these and is it pretty easy to do on a scooby myself as funds are a bit tight at the moment due to becoming a student again and going to university plus needing a gearbox done i hope someone can help on this thank you all!
Old 20 May 2011, 08:14 AM
duckdo
Scooby Regular

welcome along m8 i seen you last saturday in town picking kids up nice clean mototr u have there the only gearbox guy i now of is john the box in llansamlet hes next to dragon mot centre by the music station on phenix way
Old 20 May 2011, 04:57 PM
wrx_sti_mudzy
Scooby Regular

thanks for info and help mate but i have tried john the box and he aint prepared to touch the impreza box which i dont see why but he says he cant get parts for it i dunno

anywayz i have dropped it down to mike tucker he usually only does auto boxes and hes gonna have a look for me i just hope he can do it .
Old 20 May 2011, 08:11 PM
wrx287
Scooby Regular

If you have broken some gears then my box maybe up for sale soon. Just transfer the gears to your casing with all new seals then
Old 21 May 2011, 06:36 PM
wrx_sti_mudzy
Scooby Regular

ok cheers 287 but i do already have 2 boxes my original was fine only removed it cos the inner shaft seal went causing oil to go over the clutch making it slip put in another box and that blew up in weeks so its back to the original again i hope it just needs seals but if i need a box i will pm you thanks mate
Old 22 May 2011, 05:50 PM
wrx_sti_mudzy
Scooby Regular

can anybody give me info on how easy the timing belt is to change that would be great
Old 22 May 2011, 07:57 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

It's not easy unless your very good with spanners, there's tensioners and pulleys to line up. Put it back on wrong and it's curtains for the engine.
Old 22 May 2011, 08:44 PM
DYL 4N
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrx_sti_mudzy
can anybody give me info on how easy the timing belt is to change that would be great
IF your confident with the spanners it aint that bad. But for the first time I would remove the rad to give yourself some more room.

Buy a belt with the timing marks and its easy otherwise its an absolute nightmare.
Also make sure you buy the belt kit with new tensioner and ideler.

Dylan
Old 23 May 2011, 01:04 AM
wrx_sti_mudzy
Scooby Regular

ok well thanks guys im not that scared of using spanners but i dont want to make a mistake as if i do its gonna cost me a lot more as i never done a timing belt before so any one willing to help for a couple of quid let me know cheers
Old 02 June 2011, 04:35 PM
wrx_sti_mudzy
Scooby Regular

ok still having problems with getting gearbox, sorted manual gearbox repairs swansea wont touch it, mike tucker autos took two weeks still did not check the box so i took it back can some one please help otherwise i have no option but to breaking the car to get some money back and just get somthing else
Old 02 June 2011, 04:42 PM
R1CH D
Scooby Regular

If we all gave up that easy and broke when things go wrong there wouldn't be any imprezas left on the road. Stick at it, plenty of boxes about if you look.
Old 02 June 2011, 10:05 PM
wrx_sti_mudzy
Scooby Regular

yeah true mate but after getting one secondhand box and it not lasting 2 months i rather i got a reconditioned gearbox or my original gearbox repaired as only thing that has gone on that is the input shaft seal i just find it hard to believe why none will touch the scoob but they did when it was a pulsar lol which is a longer job to take out than on the scoob lol.

so anyone know anyone who will rebuild scooby boxes in and around swansea cheers!