Notices

Subaru UK "do not" answer your questions!

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2011, 07:13 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Subaru UK "do not" answer your questions!

http://forums.sidc.co.uk/topic/15318...our-questions/

See the thread in the General Section on engine failures

It's your (New Hatch STi owners) fault.

Part 2 is a bit more interesting but his comments on PRODRIVE where a bit iffy! But no plans for a performance Sport Wagon I (and others) asked that one

Last edited by The Trooper 1815; 05 January 2011 at 07:25 PM.
Old 05 January 2011, 09:54 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a load of twaddle, the fact remains that the 2.5 litre engines whether they be in the Hawkeye or Hatch models are a load of rubbish.

How he can sit there and quote a 2% failure rate on the Hatch engine just stupifies me.

The fact remains that they are using mass produced cheap quality components, these engines are not fit for purpose.

The JDM 2 litre engines can be driven harder, for longer and can far more easily been tweeked to produce more power, can he explain why the JDM twin scroll engine cannot be used for the UK market?

The JDM engines pass the same VOSA annual smoke emissions tests as the UK model and in fact mine breezed through and was nowhere near the maximum levels allowed.

It's all down to costs - the JDM models are produced for their own market to be the best cars possible, whereas the UK models are produced to be cheap to produce as possible in order to maximise the profit margin for IM / Subaru UK and I won't ever buy another UK model as long as it has the chocolate 2.5 litre engine installed.
Old 05 January 2011, 11:05 PM
richgreenscooby1
Scooby Regular

Well , when they come into the garage knocking we have to send all info to subaru uk , who the forward it to japan , there has only been one that never got covered under warranty because it had been remapped to 369bhp , all the others we had no issues doing warranty engine ..
Old 06 January 2011, 02:15 AM
bluerigster
Scooby Regular

The guy is talking utter rubbish and which German engineering consultants are they using? As to say higher quality forged pistons don't resolve the problem is hilarious. He should quit his Job with Subaru and become an MP as the guy is on another planet!

I wonder how long his company sti would last hill climbing?
Old 06 January 2011, 07:25 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder
What a load of twaddle, the fact remains that the 2.5 litre engines whether they be in the Hawkeye or Hatch models are a load of rubbish.

How he can sit there and quote a 2% failure rate on the Hatch engine just stupifies me.

The fact remains that they are using mass produced cheap quality components, these engines are not fit for purpose.

The JDM 2 litre engines can be driven harder, for longer and can far more easily been tweeked to produce more power, can he explain why the JDM twin scroll engine cannot be used for the UK market?

The JDM engines pass the same VOSA annual smoke emissions tests as the UK model and in fact mine breezed through and was nowhere near the maximum levels allowed.

It's all down to costs - the JDM models are produced for their own market to be the best cars possible, whereas the UK models are produced to be cheap to produce as possible in order to maximise the profit margin for IM / Subaru UK and I won't ever buy another UK model as long as it has the chocolate 2.5 litre engine installed.
One of the blokes in the failure thread had an e-mail from Subaru IM UK stating a 7% failure rate, plus the Grey Imports and that's nearly 10%.

Next month most warranties run out on older cars. Let the games start
Old 06 January 2011, 10:35 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know the problem, when the MY 99/00 cars were made they used chocolate to make the MAF sensor out of well they must have over ordered on the chocolate and I imagine they still have many bars still in stock and are now finding other uses for the stuff.... it melts far to easy