Notices

fuel pump relay? maf? injectors? i just dont know

Search this Thread

Old 15 April 2010, 12:01 AM
johnny2007
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pump relay? maf? injectors? i just dont know

Hi i have a 1995 subaru impreza turbo uk model, right try and explain best i can, had the car 2 months always been a bit sluggish to start, after about 5 mins of driving car or leaving it idle, the fuel pump relay starts going nuts n clicking like mad and engine note drops but revs dont seem to alter much. after a few mins it calms down a little and doestn click so much, when you then try and pull off from a junction etc it will click and the car will struggle to pull away unless you up the revs, sounds a bit like its missing or running out of fuel, when you have driven the car for a while this become intermittent and does it when it pleases but not all time and can still do it after a 200 mile run, also when driving the car it can be boosting perfect but then the next minute when it comes on to full boost it sounds like it missing or run out of fuel and sometimes the rev counter drops to zero and seems like engine has cut out untill you dip clutch then it all comes back to life, but other times boost great and pull great, the coils packs have been changed and also fuel pump. The car is fine when its cold its when it just starts to warm up and when the revs auto drop when at temp, the engine light doesnt come on. I went to put the airbox back on it the other day but changed my mind and started the car with out the maf connected and it idled fine just check engine light came on, im sure i read the car should cut out if its woring ok does this mean bfaulty maf? so im a bit lost of where to go from here dont want to be chasing this fault much longer so if any one has had similar problem or know what it could be you would be a star, thank you hope it all made sense lol
Old 15 April 2010, 08:49 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Firstly, stop driving the car as you may be causing more damage.

Secondly, have you had any tuning work done on the engine ie, ECU change, turbo, fuel pump?

Thirdly, get it to a proper garage and get them to have a look.

Try not to put off the inevitable repair bill it will only cost more.

IMHO.
Old 15 April 2010, 11:43 AM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Worth investing in a new Maf when was it last changed? It is a serviceable. item
Old 15 April 2010, 11:52 AM
Rally fan 555
Scooby Regular

I would second that the car should cut out when a MAF isn't present or the plug is pulled from it - get and fit another one, if the relay has become noisy, get one of those too - I don't think relays are too much money.

As Ian said you can always get a garage's opinion or ask someone to read any fault codes you have there ? once confirmed you get the bits and DIY.
Old 15 April 2010, 09:26 PM
johnny2007
Scooby Regular

relay clicks like mad for a few minutes then calm down, checked the maf and this time it cut out. Had a maf go on my last and this is different hard to explain realy feels like fuel starvation, the car didnt have this problem when i had 2 months ago it was just the overboost problem, i can get my hands on another ecu to try, do you think its worth trying? as for engine work i havent was told when i went to look at it that it had just had sti block fitted but tbh i think the guy was bit of a liar and dont believe it. I managed to get the car dirt cheap so was expecting faults jusy hate these small niggly faults they seem to end up costin more and taking more time than bigger more obvious problems

Last edited by johnny2007; 15 April 2010 at 09:31 PM.
Old 16 April 2010, 12:06 PM
jenk9988
Scooby Regular

Have you tried reading the ecu for any faults?, as it can tell you if the MAF has gone or if there may be other faults - not gauranteed but worth a look before throwing money at it. Try the link below for instructions -

http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.p...eadingECUCodes

I used this before and it came up with the fault code for the MAF

Good luck!!
Old 16 April 2010, 12:27 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Originally Posted by johnny2007
relay clicks like mad for a few minutes then calm down, checked the maf and this time it cut out. Had a maf go on my last and this is different hard to explain realy feels like fuel starvation, the car didnt have this problem when i had 2 months ago it was just the overboost problem, i can get my hands on another ecu to try, do you think its worth trying? as for engine work i havent was told when i went to look at it that it had just had sti block fitted but tbh i think the guy was bit of a liar and dont believe it. I managed to get the car dirt cheap so was expecting faults jusy hate these small niggly faults they seem to end up costin more and taking more time than bigger more obvious problems
If he's put an STi block in a UK turbo without modding stuff look out. There are so many other bits to change and modifications your lucky it aint blown up.

As my Dad said "Pay cheap and you'll pay twice!"
Old 16 April 2010, 10:12 PM
johnny2007
Scooby Regular

something else ive noticed is that it boost to 0.5 bar no prob stutter then go up to 1.2 bar drop to around 0.9 bar then go back up and hold it. i have chipped the car but it was done the day after this started and did calm it down a bit, also have put upgrade fuel pump on but no diff
Old 18 April 2010, 10:55 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

So, it's an STi block in a UK Turbo. It's been sluggish since the day you bought it. And it's been chipped (not recommended!) with an uprated fuel pump (which one?). Intermittent boost, fuelling issues (possibly), irratic idle and no CEL!

Sorry mate but your chasing your own tail and if the car was like it from purchase then you have bought a lemon. Buyer beware

Get rid and buy one that's not been fecked about and is good from the start.

Last edited by The Trooper 1815; 18 April 2010 at 10:56 AM.
Old 18 April 2010, 09:24 PM
johnny2007
Scooby Regular

aha just done a ecu fault code and come up with code 45 which is Pressure sensor/Pressure exchange solenoid valve do i take it that its the boost solenoid??? i very much doubt it that its sti bottom end the guy didnt realy know what he was on bout. Wasnt sluggish just overboost issues now i believe i have the cure at long last hahaha have been toying with the idea of selling but it got a good solid shell with no rusty arches like our 1998 plate was developing so is a good base to start from mate. Oh and this is the only fault so a bit happier now. Oh yeah walboro fuel pump.