Notices

Just as things start looking up for the scooby this happens

Search this Thread

Old 07 September 2009, 01:21 PM
ScoobyNudge
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just as things start looking up for the scooby this happens

Well as most of you know I got my car dead cheap had a few problems sorting out wheels once that got sorted and it passed the mot i though here we go smooth sailing but how wrong am i?

On the way over to the mrs house last night in neath car had a slight wired smell which i thought smelt like clutch wnet after abit but came back every now and again so I pulled over got out had a look everything seemed ok then I saw the smoke coming from my drivers side front brake caliper the disc was red hot considering the centre is painted blue lol, I thought this was impressive!

Its quite wired really I only had new pads and discs fitted about 3 months ago and the brake fluid looks clean even the pin kit was new so I cant figure it out as I was not driving fast or hard.
The passenger side was fine only the drivers side was affected does anyone have any ideas why this has happened?

The car was juddering when braking aswell last night so I think the disc is warped thank god my wheels is ok as I only had them about 2 weeks ago!

Any ideas guys? do I need new calipers and discs again?

any help is appreciated as IM not very good with mechanical jobs

Last edited by ScoobyNudge; 07 September 2009 at 01:23 PM.
Old 07 September 2009, 01:45 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

It sounds like your caliper has seized causing the brake pads to be permanently engaged against the disc. This would have caused massive heat build up and what you can see smoking is the brake pad material and it probably stinked quite a bit as well.

Give Godspeed Brakes in Bridgend a ring he either can offer you an exchange caliper or he can recondition your brake caliper, plus I would imagine you will need a new set of pads and a new brake disc as well in the worst case.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Old 07 September 2009, 01:50 PM
The Stitcher
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by ScoobyNudge
Well as most of you know I got my car dead cheap had a few problems sorting out wheels once that got sorted and it passed the mot i though here we go smooth sailing but how wrong am i?

On the way over to the mrs house last night in neath car had a slight wired smell which i thought smelt like clutch wnet after abit but came back every now and again so I pulled over got out had a look everything seemed ok then I saw the smoke coming from my drivers side front brake caliper the disc was red hot considering the centre is painted blue lol, I thought this was impressive!

Its quite wired really I only had new pads and discs fitted about 3 months ago and the brake fluid looks clean even the pin kit was new so I cant figure it out as I was not driving fast or hard.
The passenger side was fine only the drivers side was affected does anyone have any ideas why this has happened?

The car was juddering when braking aswell last night so I think the disc is warped thank god my wheels is ok as I only had them about 2 weeks ago!

Any ideas guys? do I need new calipers and discs again?

any help is appreciated as IM not very good with mechanical jobs
sounds like the caliper is sticking , have they been painted ?? sure you can pick up a disk and caliper for next to nothing these days and bet some members on here will have an old one somewhere

Last edited by The Stitcher; 07 September 2009 at 01:52 PM.
Old 07 September 2009, 02:00 PM
ScoobyNudge
Scooby Regular

tbh I thought that the pads seemed a bit close to the disc before but thought nothing of it
oh we live and learn!

cheers guys Im gutted was just set to start cleaning up the car and this happens what ****ty timing Just got of the phone with big red brake refurbs and they said for a fully refurbed set of 4 pots in blue I would be looking at £269 for the pair ready to go plus the £220 surcharge refundable on reciept of my old calipers subject to them being able to be refurbed

Completley pissed off now!

thanks guys ur legends
Old 07 September 2009, 02:20 PM
ScoobyNudge
Scooby Regular

Cannon fodder I just emailed Ian and awaiting his responce will let you all know what he says!

This could not have come at a worse possible time. I was saving for a major service?timng belt replacement and getting my gauges and mudflaps put on!

This feels like a kick in the **** lol
Old 07 September 2009, 02:38 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Cannon fodder I just emailed Ian and awaiting his responce will let you all know what he says!

This could not have come at a worse possible time. I was saving for a major service?timng belt replacement and getting my gauges and mudflaps put on!

This feels like a kick in the **** lol
I would not bother e-mailing him, give him a ring as you will get a faster answer.

I don't know if you interested but I will have a set of Comp Brake 4 pot front calipers (very similar to Porsche 911 calipers), grooved discs and virtually brand new DS2500's ( only done around 350 miles ) up for sale very shortly as I am changing to K Sport 8 pot calipers.

Last edited by Cannon Fodder; 07 September 2009 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07 September 2009, 02:46 PM
ScoobyNudge
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder
I would not bother e-mailing him, give him a ring as you will get a faster answer.

I don't know if you interested but I will have a set of Comp Brake 4 pot front calipers (very similar to Porsche 911 calipers), grooved discs and virtually brand new DS2500's ( only done around 350 miles ) up for sale very shortly as I am changing to K Sport 8 pot calipers.
How much we talking mate?

Trending Topics

Old 07 September 2009, 02:48 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

How much we talking mate?
YHPM
Old 07 September 2009, 03:13 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Right then are they 4 or 2 pots?

If so I have a new set of OE Subaru 'o' rings you may need.

Secondly, I did mine the other month, popped the pistons out with an air line and re fitted them over a lunch time. Piece of wee wee to do.
Old 07 September 2009, 04:59 PM
drive
Scooby Regular

tbh I thought that the pads seemed a bit close to the disc before but thought nothing of it
oh we live and learn!

nudger they will always appear to be sitting close to the disc they are meant to be that way,other wise your peddle would go to the floor to get the pads in contact with the discs.

ceri
Old 07 September 2009, 05:08 PM
ScoobyNudge
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by drive
oh we live and learn!

nudger they will always appear to be sitting close to the disc they are meant to be that way,other wise your peddle would go to the floor to get the pads in contact with the discs.

ceri
Thing is ceri mate these bloody buggers are full on touching the disc im hoping they havent warped my wheel.
I have rung Ian @godspeed and Emailed him gonna send a pigeon in a minute if he dont get back to me.
I love this car but its a pain in the jerry springer!

Anyway ceri mate how are you?
Old 07 September 2009, 05:15 PM
ryan33hks
Scooby Regular

Bit of bad luck mate, but as said someone will be able to sort you out
Old 07 September 2009, 05:27 PM
DYL 4N
Scooby Regular

Mark phone me. If you get the rebuild kit, I'll take them to work and service them for you.

I'll pm my no to you.

Dylan
Old 07 September 2009, 06:08 PM
mervil
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear this matey Hope you get them sorted soon Godspeed have a very good rep
Old 07 September 2009, 06:22 PM
drive
Scooby Regular

Thing is ceri mate these bloody buggers are full on touching the disc im hoping they havent warped my wheel.
I have rung Ian @godspeed and Emailed him gonna send a pigeon in a minute if he dont get back to me.
I love this car but its a pain in the jerry springer!

Anyway ceri mate how are you?
hi nuger they would be m8 if the caliper is stuck on causing the heat to cause smoke as mentioned by others,ian godspeed would be the guy to see unless some one local,who can do them for you ie DYLAN lol there not that hard to do if you cant get them off your self,get me picked up and have some tools ready and i will take them off for you m8,and also im fine m8 ta,taxi's a bit slow but isnt everything did you sort the resonator out?
p.s. do you want to buy the exhaust system while the cars up in the air ha ha ha

ceri

Last edited by drive; 07 September 2009 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07 September 2009, 06:30 PM
ScoobyNudge
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DYL 4N
Mark phone me. If you get the rebuild kit, I'll take them to work and service them for you.

I'll pm my no to you.

Dylan

I think I love you mate in a non gay way!

Dont tell the mrs I said that lol

Fair play I have been on various forums over the years and considering this problem today I am overwhelmed by the offers and help I have recieved for the sws bunch.

Massive thanks to all of you I hope to be repaying the favour sometime

Last edited by ScoobyNudge; 07 September 2009 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07 September 2009, 07:35 PM
DYL 4N
Scooby Regular

Pop the disks off and I'll spin then up on the lathe or CMM machine to check for any warping too.
Old 07 September 2009, 08:13 PM
scoobyp1
Scooby Regular

I have all the brakes, front and rear, off the P1 for sale if you want them
Also, those springs are ready and waiting for you
Old 08 September 2009, 04:43 PM
ScoobyNudge
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by drive
hi nuger they would be m8 if the caliper is stuck on causing the heat to cause smoke as mentioned by others,ian godspeed would be the guy to see unless some one local,who can do them for you ie DYLAN lol there not that hard to do if you cant get them off your self,get me picked up and have some tools ready and i will take them off for you m8,and also im fine m8 ta,taxi's a bit slow but isnt everything did you sort the resonator out?
p.s. do you want to buy the exhaust system while the cars up in the air ha ha ha

ceri

Lol @ u still trying to sell me that exhaust U can swap it for my prodrive one if you want but skint now mate this brake situation is gonna put me back a month if not more on my plan.

still havent sorted out the resonator need to get some flexi pipe and see what I can do next month.
Old 08 September 2009, 10:15 PM
ScoobyNudge
Scooby Regular

Update!!!!

Had am email from Ian @ godspeed today and he has bettered bigg reds price of £269 plus my calipers exchange basis.

Ian is offerening a full refurb and paint of my choice for £195 exchange so that is an option waiting for him to get back to me now on the price of a refurb kit to see what works out cheaper!

Cheers to dan and tyron for the tempting offers just cant stretch my budget that far. Its just cought me at the wrong time.

Got to try and get this sorted now asap as I want to be at the meet this month and need my car for work.

cheers to rich aswell for all the help he has offered with fitting gonna have a few jobs in the next couple of months I would rather not attempt so dont go far mate