Notices

Performance Action day accident

Search this Thread

Old 06 September 2009, 08:31 PM
matscooby
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance Action day accident

For those who wondered of what happened to the Hond Civic yesterday, take a look at the link below.

Oh yeah you gotta watch this upside down.

YouTube - Crashing the M3 Evo Track Car at Castle Coombe September 5th 2009

Watch from about 3.40min onwards
Old 06 September 2009, 08:48 PM
mervil
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not good, poor Civic driver!! Any pics of the damage??
Old 06 September 2009, 08:52 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

I feel sorry for the poor driver who got hit by the muppet driver of the BMW, the driver of the Civic (I think) moved over and indicated giving enough room to be passed.

Moments earlier the driver could be heard complaining about brake fade and yet he continued trying to race the other cars on the track despite it not being a race.

I know the temptation is when you are on the track to overtake as many cars as possible but if your car has a problem slow down and go into the pits.

I only hope he went to speak to the owner of the other car and apologise/offer to pay for the repairs.

And why didn't he flip the video over before posting it up.

Last edited by Cannon Fodder; 06 September 2009 at 09:12 PM.
Old 06 September 2009, 08:59 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the way he was only concerned for his mirror and passenger... where's the concern for what he hit !
Old 06 September 2009, 09:04 PM
matscooby
Scooby Senior

From what he said on youtube, the civic driver left the track rather quick thinking it was his fault.

As you said Ty, the bmw driver is at fault there. He should of driven abit slower past the car until the straight or not at all if he had no brakes.
Old 06 September 2009, 09:08 PM
mervil
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brake fade = slow down!! What a turd!! The Civic driver did his drills for the M3 driver to overtake but he continued to boot it passed him!!
Old 06 September 2009, 09:33 PM
THE DOCTOR
Scooby Regular

I was riding shotgun in 2 sessions yesterday and was gob smacked how dangerous people were driving...no overtaking in the corners the rules say but we were undertaken by a matt black Evo while turning in at Quarry pushing us out wide...

wos the point???? wait 2 minutes to get on the straight!!

Trending Topics

Old 06 September 2009, 10:40 PM
notfub
Scooby Regular

I did a PCAD a few years back in my track day Honda CRX and it was a nightmare. Loads of cars out on track together, the majority of which were being driven with "gay abandon". I spent more time looking in my mirrors to see where the next Vauxhall Chavalear was coming from (usually a late braking attempt at passing on an apex of a bend). I vowed never to do PCAD again, just regular track days. Not all the drivers were bad but it's just the odd two or three that think they have been transported into a Touring Car race that spoil it.

Rant over
Old 07 September 2009, 07:46 AM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I was on the corner when it happened. The Vid doesnt show how heavy the impact actually was. The M3 driver was 100% to blame, he just cut straight across his path. The M3 hit the front drivers wing and pushed the Civic off into the wall, the Civic was mangled both sides. The Civic driver took a while to get out too, i thought he may be really hurt as the paramedics were with him a while and he was taken away in the ambulance, although that may just be usual practice.

The M3 driver was parked by the SIDC stand after the crash with a big hole in the pasenger door and damage all down one side, i couldnt get any pics because the tool owner was hanging around on the phone looking sad!!

Thats one of the reasons i am afraid to go out on track, just cant trust the people on the track with you!
Old 07 September 2009, 08:16 AM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Idiot, but at least he was concerned about the passenger, as the impact was on his side. There is the reason Ill never do a trackday, I couldnt afford the outcome!
Old 07 September 2009, 10:35 AM
wrx287
Scooby Regular

I was standing just down from the accident and bearing in mind there were signs saying when to overtake it was a stupid manouvere
At the end of the day everyone is on a track for the same reason (a bit of fun) but there is always one that will get the Red mist and think he is Michael Schumacher and try and out brake someone with bad concequences Like said above,waiting a few seconds to pass safely is not a major problem.
Old 07 September 2009, 08:20 PM
THE DOCTOR
Scooby Regular

a couple of things

on the vid you can hear him beeping at people to get out of the way, and also he took such a tight line into that corner at high speed which was always going to result in massive understeer.....

the marshalls should have black flagged him earlier and others like him that were spoliing the fun for everyone else on track, and making you paranoid that some berk was going to t-bone you at every corner
Old 08 September 2009, 10:45 PM
RED2
Scooby Regular

what a complete tool and one of the reasons i would'nt take my car on the track
Old 11 September 2009, 06:24 PM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

TBH IMO he had an awesome car but not all the skill's needed to drive it. His racing line's around Combe were not the best and as soon as he had realised that his brakes where not working properly he should of backed right off (and beeping at other track users and who listen's to music whilst on the track??? does he think he's the Stig ).
That corner will alway's push you to the left especially if you turn in to early, too much speed or are not positioned correctly on the track prior to entering the corner. What he should of done is backed off, let the Civic go first then over take him down Hammerdown before Tower corner but isn't hindsight a wonderful thing .
Feel sorry for them both (more so the Civic owner) as that's not how either of them thought the day was going to end I bet.
Old 12 September 2009, 09:09 AM
THE DOCTOR
Scooby Regular

exactly..if he had in his words "serious brake fade" on a track car then that proves he wasn't that clever behind the wheel..

I did advanced driving as a Paramedic with the Greater Manchester Police, the instructor did a demo high pursuit drive through Bala North Wales in the snow at very very high speeds and I think he hit the brakes twice in 30 mins!!!!

Just used the correct speed and the gears to drive.....

I'm not saying you don't need to use the brakes, but that he was just showing his lack of skill using them too much instead of using the correct gear. The Nova Track car I was in was cainning it on standard brakes and he had no problems throughout the sessions!
Old 12 September 2009, 01:45 PM
bluerigster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alsieboy
exactly..if he had in his words "serious brake fade" on a track car then that proves he wasn't that clever behind the wheel..

I did advanced driving as a Paramedic with the Greater Manchester Police, the instructor did a demo high pursuit drive through Bala North Wales in the snow at very very high speeds and I think he hit the brakes twice in 30 mins!!!!

Just used the correct speed and the gears to drive.....

I'm not saying you don't need to use the brakes, but that he was just showing his lack of skill using them too much instead of using the correct gear. The Nova Track car I was in was cainning it on standard brakes and he had no problems throughout the sessions!
You can't compare advance driving to track driving there both completley different. Track driving is all about out braking your opponent and allowing for overtaking on the right dosen't help to avoid accidents. As on a clockwise track your obstructing the racing line.
Old 12 September 2009, 03:19 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bluerigster
You can't compare advance driving to track driving there both completley different. Track driving is all about out braking your opponent and allowing for overtaking on the right dosen't help to avoid accidents. As on a clockwise track your obstructing the racing line.
Forgive my ignorance but didn't the accident happen on open track time (ie no racing) in a designated no overtaking area and the muppet driving had cooked his brakes and the driver of the civic had moved over (regardless of which side) and indicated?

The driver of the BMW was entirely at fault.
Old 12 September 2009, 04:22 PM
bluerigster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder
Forgive my ignorance but didn't the accident happen on open track time (ie no racing) in a designated no overtaking area and the muppet driving had cooked his brakes and the driver of the civic had moved over (regardless of which side) and indicated?

Open track time is about no timed laps, ie no timing equipment allowed. So if your main objective isn't to push the limits of car and driving capabilities why the hell are you driving on a track for?. You may as well take a Sunday drive with the family. I'm not questioning who is or isn't in the wrong I'm stating fact that whilst tracks allow for overtaking on the right on clockwise tracks accidents will happen. It's dangerous to allow the overtaking car the racing line when the track is being used by the public. If the BMW had to overtake on the left of the Civic this wouldn't of happened as the Civic would have had optimum track postion for the right apex and the BMW would had to of slowed down and tried to overtake on the next straight as he would of run wide on the corner. The Nurburgring only allows overtaking on the left to avoid this kind of contact.

Last edited by bluerigster; 12 September 2009 at 04:37 PM.
Old 12 September 2009, 09:02 PM
THE DOCTOR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder

Exactly..it was a no overtaking zone..the Civic moved over and indicated to let the BMW know he had seen him and to overtake at the next oportunity..

Not t-bone me please at the next oportunity, and as for your comments on advanced driving, I was taught roadcraft, correct speed and gears and hiting apexes, taking the fastest line etc...

easily transferred to track .....and as for saying track driving is for outbraking your oponent...where?????? every corner is a no overtaking zone on Castle Combe. It's track time for having a bit of fun, not for numptys trying to increase their Ego..

I noticed the BMW driver didn't hang around long enough to explain himself....
Old 12 September 2009, 09:29 PM
bluerigster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alsieboy
Exactly..it was a no overtaking zone..the Civic moved over and indicated to let the BMW know he had seen him and to overtake at the next oportunity..

Not t-bone me please at the next oportunity, and as for your comments on advanced driving, I was taught roadcraft, correct speed and gears and hiting apexes, taking the fastest line etc...

easily transferred to track .....and as for saying track driving is for outbraking your oponent...where?????? every corner is a no overtaking zone on Castle Combe. It's track time for having a bit of fun, not for numptys trying to increase their Ego..

I noticed the BMW driver didn't hang around long enough to explain himself....
If you use advance driving techniques on a track you would be the slowest person on the track. Advance driving techniques is about hazard awareness and maintaining speed by accelerating around corners and coasting on straights to avoid braking and reducing petrol usage. Also advance driving does not teach you apexes, it teaches you vanishing points on corners to anticipate on coming traffic and hazards.
Old 12 September 2009, 10:01 PM
THE DOCTOR
Scooby Regular

So have you done roadcraft then? cos that is correct in the explanation,As an experienced Paramedic I would not be slowing on the straights, but still would be able to be fast in the corners, It maybe so that I would be the slowest....I doubt that very much..but I would certainly be the safest and be very aware of what was going on around me....I know I can be very quick and very safe...but that's not the point, I was just trying to highlight that the BMW driver was driving dangerously...beeping other people on track,undertaking, then carrying on even though he basically had brake failure, and then leaving the scene as quick as possible so as not to explain his actions...

Last edited by THE DOCTOR; 12 September 2009 at 10:02 PM.
Old 12 September 2009, 10:27 PM
bluerigster
Scooby Regular

Roadcraft is a very useful and I've completed the same driving course and use most of the techniques which I was taught today. All I'm saying is the safety can be improved at Castle Combe by changing the overtaking rule. As many cars have been T boned over the years and driver error is always going to happen as curcuit driving highlights the handling and braking faults with any road car and I agree the BMW driver was irresponsible by not slowing down when he experienced the signs of brake fade.

Last edited by bluerigster; 12 September 2009 at 10:33 PM.
Old 12 September 2009, 10:59 PM
THE DOCTOR
Scooby Regular

maybe so, but unfortunatly whatever rules you put in place, someone will break them.....

Like I said earlier, I was riding shotgun when a matt black Evo overtook on the right of us going into quarry bend, forcing us out wide onto the grass...when you got people doing stuff like that it spoils it for everyone else cos you become paranoid....

Last Saturday was probably the most incidents I have ever seen there, alot of people were pressing the self destruct button and I personally think the marshalls and powers that be, should have been alot more strict to keep things safe and enjoyable for all.
Old 14 September 2009, 01:27 PM
PAS
Scooby Regular

Well having done almost 40 Track days there and almost every action day,japfest,rallyday,rs day.Plus raced there for 4 years that was the worst driving display i have ever seen.He should have been black flagged well before that on a track day.

In the drivers briefing it says no overtaking in the bends weather they indicate or not.Having said that he was not gona make that bend anyway.

Plonker.