Notices

Some Advice Please (Rear Wheels)

Search this Thread

Old 30 September 2008, 08:01 PM
MisterMelon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some Advice Please (Rear Wheels)

Hi,

I've got a problem with the rear wheels when cornering hard catch the rear arches. I know i've had the wheels on the car since last year but the scrubbing hasn't been that bad and I don't drive it hard enough to cause the scrubbing. I've recently installed TEIN Control Master Flex Coilovers (Pics to Follow) and i have been able to stiffen the rear up more but the idea of having the coilovers was to lower the rear at the same time. The scrubbing is alot less but will still happen under hard cornering, its nothing major but its really annoying.

I know this problem is down to me not paying a great deal of attention when i bought the alloys i just loved the look and the Off Set of the alloys are ET 42 or 43. Just wondering if anyone has had the same problem and how they went about solving it? Rolling the arches seems like the best choice, has anyone done this? Or is it possible to get adjustable top mounts for my Coilovers so i can adjust the camber?

Forgot to mention the Alloys are 7.5" wide and I'm running 215/35/18 tyres.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Ryan.
Old 30 September 2008, 09:49 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nightmare, as said you have the right width alloy and the correct size tyre fitted just not the offset. Rolling arches is not the best option to do I don't think, did you get any info re camber settings ?
Old 30 September 2008, 10:10 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

Turbo Dean had the same problems when he changed tyres, everything else stayed the same but he was getting rubbing. He changed the camber settings and this sorted it out
Old 30 September 2008, 10:16 PM
turboDean
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DannyBoy007
Turbo Dean had the same problems when he changed tyres, everything else stayed the same but he was getting rubbing. He changed the camber settings and this sorted it out
Thats right, i fitted Avon 215's and they are a lot wider than the Toyo 215's i had before, when i had my 4 wheel alignment done i bought some whiteline camber bolts and am running slightly more negative camber (think 1/4 of a degree) than prodrive settings.
It could just be that your rear camber is out after fitting the coilovers.
Old 30 September 2008, 10:48 PM
MisterMelon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Silver Scooby Sport
Nightmare, as said you have the right width alloy and the correct size tyre fitted just not the offset. Rolling arches is not the best option to do I don't think, did you get any info re camber settings ?
Yea Si I had a look into rear camber bolts and settings but on here is a very mixed review and im still non the wiser, they are saying there is very little adjustment or you have to cut slotted holes for the bolts. For what reason would you be against rolling the arches, i've heard of the paint maybe splitting is there anything else?

Originally Posted by turboDean
Thats right, i fitted Avon 215's and they are a lot wider than the Toyo 215's i had before, when i had my 4 wheel alignment done i bought some whiteline camber bolts and am running slightly more negative camber (think 1/4 of a degree) than prodrive settings.
It could just be that your rear camber is out after fitting the coilovers.
Yea Dean that could be the case, I have noticed that the drives side sits a little further in than the passenger side. Its not solely down to this though because I had the problem before I put the Coilovers on.

Where did you get your WhiteLine camber bolts from? How much can i be expecting roughly?

Im currently playing about with the suspension to get the height I like and to hopefully eliminate the scrubbing. Where would you guys recommend taking it to have the geometry set up and how much would i be looking at?

Cheers again
Old 01 October 2008, 09:04 AM
S.P.Developments
Scooby Senior

Location: In the workshop or under some one elses car. PROJECT RA 09 IS GO.

Originally Posted by MisterMelon
Hi,

I've got a problem with the rear wheels when cornering hard catch the rear arches. I know i've had the wheels on the car since last year but the scrubbing hasn't been that bad and I don't drive it hard enough to cause the scrubbing. I've recently installed TEIN Control Master Flex Coilovers (Pics to Follow) and i have been able to stiffen the rear up more but the idea of having the coilovers was to lower the rear at the same time. The scrubbing is alot less but will still happen under hard cornering, its nothing major but its really annoying.

I know this problem is down to me not paying a great deal of attention when i bought the alloys i just loved the look and the Off Set of the alloys are ET 42 or 43. Just wondering if anyone has had the same problem and how they went about solving it? Rolling the arches seems like the best choice, has anyone done this? Or is it possible to get adjustable top mounts for my Coilovers so i can adjust the camber?

Forgot to mention the Alloys are 7.5" wide and I'm running 215/35/18 tyres.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Ryan.
Hi Ryan,

There are many other aspects to be considered when developing your chassis on the car.

Wheel Dia will determine what ride hight the car will sit at. (Longitudel/Lateral/Yaw C of G will be affected, thus affecting the stabillity of the car when cornering, If you want to make a list of your Items you have changed so far (with spec`s/data)spring rates))ARB dia)))bushes))))ect ect. And bring it along to the meet tonight, I will gladly take a look at where your problem might be. (Be prepaired this could be expensive )

JD
Old 01 October 2008, 01:05 PM
MisterMelon
Scooby Regular

Cheers bigbrakes,

its early days with the car at the moment, all i have changed is the suspension from the standard to the Tein Coilovers at the moment. I'm slowly reading through the info on here and getting to grips with the many different ways the car can be set up i get a bit confused.

I'll be there tonight and take it easy on me with the way its set up please , would it be cheaper to buy new wheels

Ryan.
Old 01 October 2008, 02:33 PM
wrx287
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MisterMelon
would it be cheaper to buy new wheels
Yes I will hopefully have a set of re-furbished 17's for sale in a few weeks