Notices

vf24 Roller Bearing Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 13 September 2008, 11:25 AM
MisterMelon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vf24 Roller Bearing Turbo

Just wondering what sort of power you can expect from these turbos, im guessing they are in the STi's.

Ryan.
Old 13 September 2008, 02:03 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IHI Turbos

VF22
This turbo has the highest output potential of all of the IHI VF series turbos and is the best choice for those who are looking for loads of top end power. The top end power however, does not come without a cost. The VF22 spools significantly slower than the rest of the IHI models due to the larger P20 exhaust housing and is much less suited for daily driving than some of the other models. Although the largest VF series turbo, the VF22 is not quite optimal for stroked engines or those who wish to run more than 20PSI of boost.

VF23
This turbo is considered a great all-around turbo. Like the VF22 it utilizes the largest P20 exhaust housing. This housing is mated with a smaller compressor housing of the of the VF24. This turbo is considered optimal in applications with range from mild to slightly wild. It does not have the same top end power of the VF22, but spools up significantly quicker.

VF24
This turbo shares its compressor housing with the VF23 however, this housing is mated with a smaller (P18) exhaust side. The smaller characteristics of this turbo allow it to provide ample bottom end power and quick spool. This turbo is very popular for Imprezas with automatic transmissions and Group N rally cars.

VF28
This turbo came standard on the STi Version 5. In terms of overall size, it is smaller than the VF22, VF30 and VF34, and about same size as the VF23.

VF29
This Turbo is nearly identical to the VF24, with the same compressor and exhaust housings. However the compressor wheel in the VF29 is has been changed slightly. The changes made to the compressor wheel in this model are generally viewed as improvements, and as such this unit is typically chosen over the VF24.

VF30
The VF30 is commonly considered the best bang for the buck turbo in the IHI VF series line. A relatively new model the VF30 features the same exhaust housing as the VF24 but a larger compressor side similar to the VF22. The combination of these two parts results in increased output potential without the lag associated with the VF22. Although it doesn't offer the top end supremacy of the VF22, the VF30 is a great compromise between these unit and the quicker spooling models.

VF34
The VF34 is nearly identical to the VF30, with the same exhaust housing and compressor. However the VF34 goes back to the ball bearing design, and in doing so achieves full boost approximately 500RPM sooner than the comparable VF30. The VF34 is the most recent IHI design and as such costs slightly more than its counterpart. Top end performance and maximum output are identical to the 30.

VF35
VF35 The VF35 has identical internals as the VF30 and it uses divided thrust bearings. However, the exhaust housing is a P15 which means this turbo will have fantastic spool characteristics. This turbo is standard on the new WRX Type RA. LIMITED SUPPLY.

VF36
Roller bearing version of the twin scroll VF37, also has a titanium turbine and shaft for even quicker spool. Same compressor housing as VF30/34, however twin scroll P25 exhaust housing provides slightly better top end output due to reduced exhaust pulse interference. This turbo is good for 400HP and used on JDM STI Spec C from 2003 onwards.

VF37 (thrust bearing)
Enter the age of twin scroll IHI turbos. Same compressor housing as VF30/34, however has a new twin scroll P25 exhaust housing that provides slightly better top end output due to reduced exhaust pulse interference. Twin scroll also provides better spool up for improved low down response over the VF30/34. This turbo is good for 400HP and used on JDM STI from 2003 onwards.

VF38
Twin scroll turbo with titanium turbine and shaft. Smaller compressor housing than VF36/VF37 provides tremendous spool up capabilities but less top end than VF36/37. The spool capabilities of this turbo are demonstrated on the JDM Legacy GT, which reaches peak torque at 2400RPM.

VF39
Single scroll turbo used on USDM STI and latest 2.5L STIs released internationally. Smaller than VF30/VF34.

VF42
Exclusive turbo to the S203/S204 models, this features a twin scroll design with a slightly larger compressor than the VF36/37 turbos and different turbine design (more blades). The VF42 is a roller-bearing turbo and is likely of similar size to the VF22 turbo, but with twin scroll exhaust housing for faster spool and superior top end performance due to reduced exhaust pulse interference.
Old 13 September 2008, 02:23 PM
MisterMelon
Scooby Regular

Well a little more information that i expected but WoW
Old 13 September 2008, 05:02 PM
wrx287
Scooby Regular

If your looking for another turbo i found this Parts & Accessories : subaru IHI vf 22 turbo
Old 13 September 2008, 06:00 PM
turboDean
Scooby Regular

Most of the VF series turbos are capable of making around 320-330bhp, some spool faster than others and some are more reliable.
Old 13 September 2008, 07:34 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I got a VF41 in the Foggy.

VF-41 = journal bearing, single scroll RHF55 IHI Turbo with 48mm turbine housing - very similar to the VF-40 used in the USDM legacy GT and also same size housing as the VF-43 ( that is ball bearing though) that is used in the Imp STI in Europe - all these have an angled outlet pipe to clear the drive by wire throttle.
In other respects pretty similar to the other later single scroll turbos in the VF range

Last edited by The Trooper 1815; 13 September 2008 at 07:38 PM.
Old 13 September 2008, 07:57 PM
The Stitcher
Scooby Senior

thought it was only a vf34 and a vf23 that were roller bearing turbos out of the vf,s exept twin scroll versions
Old 14 September 2008, 06:49 PM
mp24
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrx287
If your looking for another turbo i found this Parts & Accessories : subaru IHI vf 22 turbo
I have the vf22 on my car,its a bit laggy compared to the td04 which was standard, but when it comes in it will put a smile on your face
Old 15 September 2008, 11:11 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by MisterMelon
Well a little more information that i expected but WoW
Always best to have to much info when trying to make a decision
Old 16 September 2008, 12:18 AM
MisterMelon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Silver Scooby Sport
Always best to have to much info when trying to make a decision
Your right there but im terrible when spoilt for choice, where do i go from here

If i was to say i would like to hit the 300bhp mark at the moment the car is a standard uk turbo with the exhaust system changed. Im looking for something thats going to give a nice bit of tourqe lower down with adequit top end, but then i would like the punch of the turbo kicking in. Argh i dont know - what would you suggest?? I realise there are other supporting mods but this is just taking into account the turbo.

Cheers

Last edited by MisterMelon; 16 September 2008 at 12:20 AM.
Old 16 September 2008, 09:21 AM
wrx287
Scooby Regular

You can have a go at mine if you want to feel what the VF22 feels like
Old 16 September 2008, 09:49 AM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Your on the same sort of lines as I was when looking to upgrade, I had the chance of a vf28 with only 15k on it from new and that is what is on mine now, but the other turbo that interested me was the td04 hybrid by Andyf for low down power... but it tails off high end, I do still like the look of it though. All about budget at the end of the day you need to set yourself a figure and see what you wish to spend on the turbo alone.

AndyForrestPerformance

Click your model on the left

<<<<< click on my profile for a spec list.
Old 16 September 2008, 06:58 PM
Nolan_WRX
Scooby Regular

Hey SSS what size exhaust you got on yours? 3" OR 2.5"
i have a 2.5 system with sport cat dp, plus all the other bits n bobs like injectors and sti tmic and made 288bhp and 277lbf, was expecting little over 300 but am very happy with the power tho, the thing i was dissapointed about with the turbo is the spool, hits full boost at around 3250 (1.35bar) with 1bar at about 3k but it does pull much better higherup than the td04, would really consider the hybrid td04 from andy forrest if it would make the same power but with much earlier spool up, would suit my driveing style better i think.
What was yours like going from the td04?
Old 16 September 2008, 08:09 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Running a 2.5" on mine, I have 440 injectors as standard and when JGM mapped it the 313/303 figures are what was estimated on the lap top after a couple of power runs.
I'm not sure now what the figures are for full boost ect but it does pull rather well... maybe the hybrid would have suited my driving style more also but the vf28 was a peach and I could not turn it away there are not many about like that, I researched my top mount and everyone I spoke with was happy with it so I am still on my OEM fitted one here and all is well, it is a little restrictive but not enough to cause any issue.
This was one of the reasons I fitted the Samco top mount kit and the one induction hose to help the breathing, plus the OEM ported headers and up pipe.
All in all I'm very pleased with the results

Last edited by Silver Scooby Sport; 16 September 2008 at 08:12 PM.
Old 16 September 2008, 08:34 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

VF28 on mine and shes a flyer, I'm getting 1 Bar about 150-200RPM later than the TD04 but still 1.35 bar by 3300-3500RPM ish but it pulls stronger higher up the rev range and tails off later which suits the gearing on the UK cars.