Notices

Which car to get dilemma ???

Search this Thread

Old 24 May 2007, 05:32 PM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which car to get dilemma ???

OK, just looking for some general opinions at the moment.

Will be looking at getting a different car at the end of this year, and have a few options that will all cost around the same ( ish ) :

[ current car is a 98 UK Turbo, but upgraded with EBC discs and red stuff pads, Prodrive suspension and rear spoiler, STi strut braces, STi wheels, STi intercooler, Greddy boost controller, scoobysport exhaust and various other bits and bobs. Only done 72K and in pretty reasonable condition ]

1. Honda NSX - a bit of a dream car for me, and one I could keep for years - would be an earlier model as I'm not spending huge amounts !!!

2. EVO - probably something about two or three years old - not really sure about them though, as although I do like them, they do seem to be a bit of a non drivers car with all the driver aids on them ?

3. Impreza option 1 - get a second hand one of the current shape STi's

4. Impreza option 2 - get something more special like a P1

5. Impreza option 3 - keep my current car which has already had a lot spent on it by previous owners, but spend the money doing it up - thinking of a bit more power, some better brakes, maybe a respray, leather interior etc... basically just give it a spruce up.

So - not the worst dilemma in the world to have I'm sure you'll agree !

I dont do much mileage in a year, so the car is really just for fun, so not overly bothered about sensible things like fuel consumption, depreciation etc... but wonder what you would do if you were in my shoes ?
Old 24 May 2007, 06:08 PM
mervil
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get something special I think. Something like a 22B or (if you can find one) S203/ Spec C RA Blob eye Version.

I do like the NSX's a lot but a lot of money for a good one.
Not really a big fan of the Evo's though, driven a 4 and a 7 and thought they were way too aggressive and like you said, not a lot of driver involvement really

Merv
Old 24 May 2007, 06:30 PM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Just my opinion, but here it goes.

I find the NSX a little dated to be honest and by all accounts it can be a little dangerous on the limit. Rear wheel drive is great fun but when you get it wrong your punished for it.

Iv driven an Evo 6 with about 300hp and Evo 9 MR FQ 360. Both were great cars, handled well and super quick but something i cant put my finger on was missing, maybe it was the sound, what ever it was it didnt give me the buzz of the Impreza.

I dont know much about the classics so cant really comment, but if given the choice i would go for a hawkeye Sti everytime.

The other option is to save a lot of money and get a new Euro WRX and mod it to your spec. The car is only about 14k new and comes with all the dealer peace of mind.

That said, if i could have afforded a hawkeye Sti at the time i would have gone for that to be honest.

It seems what im saying is hawkeye Sti, but that is only my opinion

If the WRX idea takes your fancy your more than welcome to give mine a go at one of the meets

Ian
Old 24 May 2007, 07:15 PM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

MY06 Spec C Type RA. Just take it from me
Old 25 May 2007, 08:23 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Hmmm thanks ( I think ! )

The idea of getting the NSX would be that it would be a car that I could keep for years without having to change for something else. Have seen some very nice subtle(ish) body kitted ones from Japan that improve the looks a lot and dont make it look as dated.

Getting a brand new one and spending the difference on some upgrades does sound quite a sensible route - or maybe even better to get a 1 year or so old one ( so someone else has taken the initial hit on the depreciation ) and then have even more to spend on upgrades.

I really like the classic looks, but the hawkeye has grown on me a lot - not keen on the WRX version so much, but the STi does look great.

Or a P1, 22B, RA ???

Or.... keep the current car, and buy an Ariel Atom for the 3 days we get when it doesnt rain
Old 25 May 2007, 09:09 AM
turboDean
Scooby Regular

My choice would be either 22b, a newish Spec C or keeps yours and turn it into a monster, i'm opting for the last option myself, as i've spent so much already i might aswell finish it off.
Old 25 May 2007, 04:49 PM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE=MikeCardiff;6956163]I really like the classic looks, but the hawkeye has grown on me a lot - not keen on the WRX version so much, but the STi does look great.[QUOTE]

I know what you mean about the WRX, wasnt as keen on the look of the WRX as the Sti myself.

I have spent about 2k on mine to get it looking the way i want it and another 1.5-2k will sort the brakes and power. I probably wont be happy leaving it at that though, who knows what will come next
Old 26 May 2007, 09:00 AM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

Mike,

Mine may be on the market soon <--------------
Old 26 May 2007, 12:06 PM
Gazz300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pippyrips
Mike,

Mine may be on the market soon <--------------
Or Buy mine that is on the Market now for a great price considering its only done 25000miles and has all the suspesion mods brakes and wheels and then you can go to town on the engine.

Rob will want too much money for his being the Arthur Daley that he is...

Or a Spec C JDM.
Old 26 May 2007, 12:11 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gazz300
Or Buy mine that is on the Market now for a great price considering its only done 25000miles and has all the suspesion mods brakes and wheels and then you can go to town on the engine.

Rob will want too much money for his being the Arthur Daley that he is...

Or a Spec C JDM.
you get what you pay for
Old 26 May 2007, 12:42 PM
Gazz300
Scooby Regular

Old 27 May 2007, 07:47 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the offers but I would rather hammer nails through my nads than have a blobeye or bugeye

If I was going to get a newer Impreza it would only be a classic shape if it was something like a P1, or one of the new shape ones - dont know why but I've just never liked the two models inbetween - just dont look like 'proper' Imprezas to me for some reason.

In fact, apart from the colour which I'm not so mad on, I love the way my car looks - I think the facelift classic was when they got it just about right with the design.

It would be a reasonably sensible option to keep my car and spend the money on the engine ( not that its exactly slow, but a FMIC and a few extra tweaks would be nice ), maybe a respray in dark metallic silver / charcoal, get the wheels done black, get the seats recovered in leather....

I need to look at the insurance costs, but I may just give my car to my wife to use as a weekend car if I get something else for myself ( the joys of being self employed and being able to put the car through the books ) That way I can still take it for a spin if I'm feeling nostalgic.
Old 27 May 2007, 03:02 PM
ZippyLane
Scooby Regular

What's your budget is my first question..?
Old 27 May 2007, 05:36 PM
bluerigster
Scooby Regular

2005 White 55 plate hawkeye JDM spec C RA. Thinking of purchasing one myself after the summer if one becomes available for the right money.
Old 27 May 2007, 07:17 PM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bluerigster
2005 White 55 plate hawkeye JDM spec C RA. Thinking of purchasing one myself after the summer if one becomes available for the right money.
With only four in the UK you'll be lucky. And I'm not selling you mine.
Old 27 May 2007, 07:37 PM
bluerigster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrRA
With only four in the UK you'll be lucky. And I'm not selling you mine.
I see Litchfield imports have a blue RA for sale and the only one in Europe, so even more exclusive than yours MrRA,but prefer the white ones myself.
Old 27 May 2007, 08:04 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

There are 5 in the country and the blue one up litchfields has already gone - more on the way soon though
Old 28 May 2007, 07:49 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Zippylane, budget will probably be around £15 - £20K, maybe plus my existing car if I sold that as well. I could spend more on a car, but dont want to get credit or a loan for the extra, so would rather pay for it outright and know its done.

I wasnt really planning on buying a brand new car, so this figure would cover most of the things like Imprezas and Evos 1 or 2 years old or older from what I have looked at.