Notices

pistons up in smoke

Search this Thread

Old 12 October 2006, 05:11 PM
osaka
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pistons up in smoke

just thought i'd share this with you guys... totally gutted!!
car has been mechanically faultless for the past 3 years.. and then suddenly a piston goes...
was on the way back from the wales motor show - after winnng a trophy for the sound off... cossie comes up behind me flashing his lights..
so i did the decent thing by droppping down a few cogs... i should have thought twice - as afterwards i found out this guy is running about 500bhp.
anyway got home and the car wasn't feeling right...
i has a feeling something big was wrong - but was in denial...
anyway did the compression test and hey presto and there is a piston gone!
plus side is - there is no plus side really!!
should have car back this week - also chucking in a exedy paddle clutch and flywheel - ported inlet manifold, motul oil and pitwork oil filter.

anyone had similar problems??
Old 12 October 2006, 06:18 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Uk car or Import there ?
Old 12 October 2006, 06:25 PM
turboDean
Scooby Regular

Was it your WR1?
Old 12 October 2006, 06:36 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a silver classic Dean.
Old 12 October 2006, 08:51 PM
bluerigster
Scooby Regular

Was it your third piston which went by any chance?, my last engine had scoring on the piston liner on third piston due to running lean when running high boost pressure resulting in temperature increase Usual fault with differential fuel pressure from first to last piston across the fuel rail due to having a partial blockage within fuel filter. Eventually the water pump failed which actually was the final straw and the engine packed in.
Old 12 October 2006, 09:58 PM
wide
Scooby Regular

Guess it should have been mapped for uk fuel
Old 13 October 2006, 12:44 PM
osaka
BANNED

not sure which piston it was.. have not seen it yet.. should be ready tomorrow or monday.
the car is a 93 wrx import... just one of those things... i was not running excessive boost.
whats done is done.... just gonna have to take it easy for a while now - run it in... new clutch on it as well.
just miss the sound of it...

the wr1 just came out of the workshop yesterday with a few toys on it
gfb pulleys
gfb shortshifter - very short indeed
blitz boost controller sbc1 colour
whiteline suspension uprated bits such as anti lift kit, diff support etc etc etc
basically everything whiteline do for the car..
now it feels like your in an f1 car - it's so stiff and handle so well.
Old 13 October 2006, 02:51 PM
LMR
Scooby Regular

I had the same happen to me except I lost all power due to ahole the size of a twenty pence piece. It was caused by a dodgy Maf sensor, Just had a very slight misfire @3K, I

f I was was you I would swap the MAF, and put a knocklink on while you are there!!!
Old 13 October 2006, 03:09 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another blown motor
Old 13 October 2006, 10:12 PM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by osaka

anyone had similar problems??
Yes, twice
Old 16 October 2006, 02:10 PM
osaka
BANNED

i done the maf sensor - will do the knock link for sure. just never got round to it before.
Old 16 October 2006, 09:02 PM
tay05
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by osaka
i done the maf sensor - will do the knock link for sure. just never got round to it before.
How much did the MAF sensor cost u for the 93 wrx? Might need 1 for mine as its started missing a bit. Gonna change the plugs first and see how i get on. Would CVC supply it?, had probs with them in the past due to it being an "Import"....run away, run away!
Old 26 October 2006, 12:08 PM
osaka
BANNED

your better off getting a maf of grade a subaru - cheaper...
my car is still in limp mode after resetting ecu - need to get the codes. i think the knock sensor may need replacing!!
Old 26 October 2006, 12:13 PM
Russ71
Scooby Regular

I'll take your word for it, it's all very confusing to me, just to let you know those bulbs work great, cheers mate I'll be a regular customer now, no more Halfrauds for me I hope your car feels better soon.
Old 26 October 2006, 01:16 PM
bluerigster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tay05
How much did the MAF sensor cost u for the 93 wrx? Might need 1 for mine as its started missing a bit. Gonna change the plugs first and see how i get on. Would CVC supply it?, had probs with them in the past due to it being an "Import"....run away, run away!
I'm starting to hear of Subaru owners swapping their standard Subaru mafs for Nissan 300ZX items. As supposedly stronger and good for air flows for cars running over 400 BHP. I found a 300zx maf on the Nissian forum for sale at 80 pounds and wiring instructions have been post under general on scoobynet. I'm looking possibly of convering myself but waiting for a someone to try it out first!, so Taylor tell me how you get on.

Last edited by bluerigster; 26 October 2006 at 01:33 PM.
Old 26 October 2006, 01:49 PM
tay05
Scooby Regular

Cheers Jon. I'm hoping the problem is just gonna be the plugs, just bought a set of NGK PFR 7B's to replace the old 6B's and gapped them down to 0.5, these will be going in on the wk end, hopefully this will clear the misfire. From what i've heard the early MAF's are supposed to be bullet proof so if it isn't the plugs i'm guessing the coil packs.
Taylor.
Old 26 October 2006, 02:15 PM
bluerigster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tay05
Cheers Jon. I'm hoping the problem is just gonna be the plugs, just bought a set of NGK PFR 7B's to replace the old 6B's and gapped them down to 0.5, these will be going in on the wk end, hopefully this will clear the misfire. From what i've heard the early MAF's are supposed to be bullet proof so if it isn't the plugs i'm guessing the coil packs.
Taylor.
I know Bev (jamesWRXRA) is having the same problem at the moment and finding the route cause a bit of a frustration. He is also suffering from boost spiking which only happens now and again in 5th gear.
Old 26 October 2006, 07:57 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

I've had both problem overs the years.

Failing maf, will make it run lumpy and be all over the place whilst idiling, blown Maf will force limp mode.

Also had a misfire a couple of years ago turned out to be a cracked spark plug,
Old 26 October 2006, 07:57 PM
jamesbWRXRA
Scooby Regular

Location: Still loving the Subaru but now in an Evo 8 MR FQ320

Originally Posted by bluerigster
I know Bev (jamesWRXRA) is having the same problem at the moment and finding the route cause a bit of a frustration. He is also suffering from boost spiking which only happens now and again in 5th gear.

Frustrating! Tell me about it . I can't wait for the car to be fixed and back to running like the car i originally bought. Finally found the water leak its a watercooler pipe which runs under the turbo. Quoted 69.99 plus vat for a new pipe! Someone will be having a go at welding it me thinks. Hopefully getting it repaired next weekend. After that its up to Ace motorsport i think to find out why the car is running like a dog.

Tay does ur car feel like it judders slightly when u come off the accelerator. Also car kangaroos like hell in the morning sometimes when cold. My car is also hitting 1.1bar with the standard ecu and it should be o.7bar. Which is resulting in either fuel cut or a boost spike . Either of which is very scary when it happens on overtake. Also feels hesitant and jerky around town.

As you can tell not having much fun with the car at the mo . Need to sort out all the running problems so that i can get back on the rollercoaster and catch Jon up lol. When all this is sorted i'll be in touch if u don't mind tay for some advice abouting fitting a front mount as i think this will be my next project if i ever get this car to run properly.

James

Last edited by jamesbWRXRA; 26 October 2006 at 08:00 PM.
Old 26 October 2006, 09:24 PM
tay05
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jamesbWRXRA
Frustrating! Tell me about it . I can't wait for the car to be fixed and back to running like the car i originally bought. Finally found the water leak its a watercooler pipe which runs under the turbo. Quoted 69.99 plus vat for a new pipe! Someone will be having a go at welding it me thinks. Hopefully getting it repaired next weekend. After that its up to Ace motorsport i think to find out why the car is running like a dog.

Tay does ur car feel like it judders slightly when u come off the accelerator. Also car kangaroos like hell in the morning sometimes when cold. My car is also hitting 1.1bar with the standard ecu and it should be o.7bar. Which is resulting in either fuel cut or a boost spike . Either of which is very scary when it happens on overtake. Also feels hesitant and jerky around town.

As you can tell not having much fun with the car at the mo . Need to sort out all the running problems so that i can get back on the rollercoaster and catch Jon up lol. When all this is sorted i'll be in touch if u don't mind tay for some advice abouting fitting a front mount as i think this will be my next project if i ever get this car to run properly.

James

Hey James, nice to hear from you, if u ever want any advice about the front mount don't be afraid to ask. Having some probs myself at the mo, although nothing major still bloody annoying....clutch is about to be changed as its startin to slip under high power, tho just through the age of it, this is on my floor waiting to go in with a lightened flywheel fom API. The miss is not too bad, either caused by tired coil packs or plugs, either way Andy F says gappin the plugs to .5 should solve this...no probs idleing so guessing its not the MAF, other than that the car is running like a dream.
Taylor.
Old 27 October 2006, 03:34 PM
jamesbWRXRA
Scooby Regular

Location: Still loving the Subaru but now in an Evo 8 MR FQ320

Hi Tay . Nice one mate . It probably won't be 4 a while but could certainly do with some advice as the job on your car looks good. The same usual suspects on my car . Could be maf. Could be coil packs. I think my spark plugs are also gapped incorrectly so hopefully i can get them changed next weekend. When this is sorted i need to get somebody to run a diagnostics to find the problem.

James