Notices

Anybody good at Car Electrics?

Search this Thread

Old 23 May 2006, 06:52 PM
CyprusScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anybody good at Car Electrics?

I have recently aquired a Pug 205 GTi but I'm having some problems getting it started due to an apparent electrical problem. I need to move it ASAP from its current location. Anybody got any knowledge in the car electrical side that would be able to come give me a much needed hand?

P.S. If anybodys got a spare 205 bootlid lying about, give me a shout.
Old 23 May 2006, 08:47 PM
Gazz300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CyprusScooby
I have recently aquired a Pug 205 GTi but I'm having some problems getting it started due to an apparent electrical problem. I need to move it ASAP from its current location. Anybody got any knowledge in the car electrical side that would be able to come give me a much needed hand?

P.S. If anybodys got a spare 205 bootlid lying about, give me a shout.
Can you give us some more info? Has it been standing a while? Does it turn over? Spark Fuel pump charge up? If not turning just clicking test the battery. If it is OK tap the starter gently with a small hammer as it sticks. If that fails take the intake off then the starter and swap or fix. Tried bumping it with a charged battery on board?

Also try here: http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/

Just thinking through all the fun I had with my 1.6 years back. Good times.

Good Luck. Removing the starter is a pig though as the intake plenum has to come off.
Old 23 May 2006, 09:09 PM
ZippyLane
Scooby Regular

Chris Garner has been stripping down 205's and racing them recently.. he's probably got a good idea..
Old 23 May 2006, 09:48 PM
CyprusScooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gazz300
Can you give us some more info? Has it been standing a while? Does it turn over? Spark Fuel pump charge up? If not turning just clicking test the battery. If it is OK tap the starter gently with a small hammer as it sticks. If that fails take the intake off then the starter and swap or fix. Tried bumping it with a charged battery on board?

Also try here: http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/

Just thinking through all the fun I had with my 1.6 years back. Good times.

Good Luck. Removing the starter is a pig though as the intake plenum has to come off.
The interior light comes on as does the windscreen wipers even when they are turned off. My mate who knows about cars says it must be an electrical fault. We tried starting it up with jump leads but it started to drain my mates car causing it too stall!
I've never driven a 205 before. My one is a 1.9 GTi and its mint! In Graphite Gray with original wheels.
Old 23 May 2006, 11:45 PM
CyprusScooby
Scooby Regular

Because I couldn't get the original key to fit the ignition barrel, My mate stripped it out and we tried to hot wire it to get it out of its current location. Would this have anything to do with it not starting? I'm going to a local scrap yard tomorrow to try to get another ignition barrel and key.
I've never driven a 205 GTi before, but am really looking forward to it.
Old 24 May 2006, 08:18 PM
Gazz300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CyprusScooby
Because I couldn't get the original key to fit the ignition barrel, My mate stripped it out and we tried to hot wire it to get it out of its current location. Would this have anything to do with it not starting? I'm going to a local scrap yard tomorrow to try to get another ignition barrel and key.
I've never driven a 205 GTi before, but am really looking forward to it.
Definately. If you have all three connected or the wrong ones you are feeding power incorrectly.

When you get it going I'd love a go! My 1.6 was like a roller skate. Get the track rod ends done if the steering is sloppy. Gives it a really good feel. I want a new one now!

Any parts this place used to be good. http://www.gtishop.co.uk/

Good Luck.
Old 24 May 2006, 10:15 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

"Pug 205 GTi coming to a hedge near you!!!!" Enjoy

Trending Topics

Old 25 May 2006, 10:18 AM
CyprusScooby
Scooby Regular

Well I got a new ignition barrel from the local scrappys and put it in. It worked fine for a while until I went over a speed bump, and it cut out. Cant get it started again. Its turning over, but it just doesn't seem to catch to start. Its not the starter motor or battery. It has fuel in it as well. Dont know what it could be. We tried bump starting it and jump starting it, but to no avail.
Any ideas anybody?

P.S. Its a 1.9 GTi!

Last edited by CyprusScooby; 25 May 2006 at 10:21 AM.