Help for a Welsh Newbie..

Search this Thread

Old 08 April 2006, 07:33 AM
Jonnip74
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help for a Welsh Newbie..

Hi All,

I've been floating around this place for a little while now, mainly the Rally GB area, but I need some help, and I thought you lot may be the best to ask...

The time has finally come to get rid of my MONDEO() and get a Scoobie. I'm a family man with 3 kids, so I'm going to be getting a 'wagon' GX. (Cant afford the fuel on a proper one!!)

I've got about £8k to spend, so looking at an 02 plate sort of age, but what I'm after is...

Is there anything I should be aware of when looking at one?
And is there any showrooms that I should avoid??

I know the rep of Scoobies is that their bomb proof, but I thought this would be the best way of getting some answers...

Cheers All!

JP
Old 08 April 2006, 08:49 AM
wide
Scooby Regular

Hi mate, wagon gx is a cracking model and a great buy. Its not the most common car as most do tend to get a turbo straight away, especially if they are older and can afford the insurance. However the sport models or normally aspirated are still a fun car, with the same benefits as all scoobs which is brilliant road handling.
Depending on where your from I would look at main dealers as the sport models do go for a lot less money and 8k would buy you a spot on classic wagon if you can find one. The newer wagons are only available in Blobeye models, I think as a sport/GX as I have never seen a bugeye one.
If you find one in an independant dealer, just make sure its what you want and has a FSH with cambelt service done which is 45k on classic and 50 k on newage.
There is a thriving community set aside for N/A scoobs at www.imprezasport.net and will give you plenty more info as the general areas on scoobynet there is sometimes a bit of turbo snobbery . Mind that is never the case in this Welsh section. See you around and hope you find something

Just to make you fully aware ,after re-reading your post that an N/A model will be only slightly less to run in fuel. Most sport owners (and I was one for 2 years) will avaerage around town 24/25 mpg and on a run 30/31. Just bear in mind a turbo if driven sensibly i.e not blating away from every traffic light will return 22/23 and up to 30 on a run. Parts are slightly more expensive and insurance is higher for a turbo but really there isnt a great differance. Simon will be on sometime and probably give you some more info as he had a bugeye sport.
Food for thought!

Last edited by wide; 08 April 2006 at 08:55 AM.
Old 08 April 2006, 08:55 AM
Jonnip74
Scooby Regular

Nice one Wide, many thanks...

I'm living in Brynmawr at the mo, and working in County Hall in Cwmbran, next to the Police Headquaters.

I've had a look at a GX at Keith Price's in Crickhowell on an 02 plate, and this may be the one!!

Once again thanks for the info!

JP
Old 08 April 2006, 09:00 AM
wide
Scooby Regular

Is it a bugeye
Just been on there and had a look it looks nice and its the first one Ive seen in wagon for a bugeye, like I say not that common .
Push for some extras mind dealer do make plenty on secondhand mark up, get as much as you can!! Nice set of wheels to get rid of those 15" and your away

Last edited by wide; 08 April 2006 at 09:04 AM.
Old 08 April 2006, 05:35 PM
tay05
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jonnip74
Nice one Wide, many thanks...

I'm living in Brynmawr at the mo, and working in County Hall in Cwmbran, next to the Police Headquaters.

I've had a look at a GX at Keith Price's in Crickhowell on an 02 plate, and this may be the one!!

Once again thanks for the info!

JP
Was up there the other day, seen that car..looks mint! Check out the brand new silver STI up there, what a machine!
Old 08 April 2006, 09:24 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Just gone back to a Wagon

It is a turbo and as Wide said MPG not far off the GX when driven normally Off up to Ebbw Sunday to see the outlaws. May see you about, going to New Rassau and Hill Top.
Old 09 April 2006, 07:48 AM
Jonnip74
Scooby Regular

Cheers for all the info guys... I've still got the Mondeo at the mo, but you cant miss it... It's a dark blue one with a Wales Rally GB Sunstrip... Sad I know!! Should have the scoobie within the next month though
Old 09 April 2006, 10:07 AM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

Welcome mate, no turbo snobbery from me!!
Old 09 April 2006, 07:34 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome aboard We have had a few people on here running the N/A scoob I'm sure a few will be along to give you any tips you need.
kev