Notices

M4 Speed Camera Protests

Search this Thread

Old 20 April 2005, 06:13 AM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool M4 Speed Camera Protests

Last edited by scrappydoo; 02 May 2008 at 04:13 AM. Reason: privacy!
Old 20 April 2005, 09:46 PM
L55 REP
Scooby Regular

more info please !!!!!!
Old 21 April 2005, 01:29 AM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Last edited by scrappydoo; 02 May 2008 at 04:13 AM. Reason: privacy!
Old 21 April 2005, 07:06 PM
Twigster Home
Scooby Regular

Posted this on the Honda forum as well. Think we should all turn up! Still, make sure this gets on the south west bit as well.
Old 22 April 2005, 05:15 PM
wide
Scooby Regular

A good action , should start a list turn it into a mini run
Old 22 April 2005, 06:24 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a drive on the motorway to me, are their plans to drive slow or something?? as nothing appears to have been mentioned
Old 22 April 2005, 06:26 PM
Dave uk blue mica
Scooby Regular

not to put you guys down for doing this but do you actually think this is worth doing? yes on motorways their pointless but in residential areas their definitely needed, only this week a local girl of 11 was knocked down by a speeding motorist in my area.
Old 22 April 2005, 07:09 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

Please don't get me wrong, I have no problem with cameras outside schools, hospitals etc. But not on motorways, the speed limit on motorways should be put up to 90, as 90 is a nice cruising speed in any modern car.

I know what your saying regarding built up areas, as I live in a 30 limit and some nutters go by my house at nearly 100 MPH, with kids playing just yards from the road, These people need a good kicking in the back of the police van.
Old 22 April 2005, 08:50 PM
Dave uk blue mica
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DannyBoy007
Please don't get me wrong, I have no problem with cameras outside schools, hospitals etc. But not on motorways, the speed limit on motorways should be put up to 90, as 90 is a nice cruising speed in any modern car.

I know what your saying regarding built up areas, as I live in a 30 limit and some nutters go by my house at nearly 100 MPH, with kids playing just yards from the road, These people need a good kicking in the back of the police van.

same as me mate, i live on a 30mph road and everyday more or less every car comes past at over that limit, in the evenings and nights you get boys racing past here at speeds as high as 100mph, don't get me wrong i enjoy a sprited drive but in the right places and the right times, no government is going to reduce the cameras cos if it saves one childs life then their worth it.
Old 23 April 2005, 02:39 AM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Last edited by scrappydoo; 02 May 2008 at 04:14 AM. Reason: privacy!
Old 23 April 2005, 10:20 AM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck with your protest lads, but this ones not for me.
Old 23 April 2005, 03:09 PM
Dave uk blue mica
Scooby Regular

no me either for reasons stated
Old 23 April 2005, 03:58 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

Can't make it, stag do in bournemouth, I'll be thinking of you when I'm downing those beers!!!!!!
Old 24 April 2005, 03:05 PM
Twigster Home
Scooby Regular

Typical isn't it. We all complain about the bloody things and them being in the wrong places, then when it comes time to stand up and do something everyone suddenly gives up the ghost and walks away. Same thing happened with the fuel protests, and look what happened there! As soon as it looked like there was going to be an inconvenience, everyone gave up. This is why the government feels like it can do whatever it likes regardless of public opinion, because they know that people can't be arsed to do anything about it.

Come on guys, we all want to see them outside schools and in genuine accident areas, but the whole point of this protest is to stop them being placed anywhere they like in order to make money.
Old 24 April 2005, 08:40 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Twigster Home
Typical isn't it. We all complain about the bloody things and them being in the wrong places, then when it comes time to stand up and do something everyone suddenly gives up the ghost and walks away. Same thing happened with the fuel protests, and look what happened there! As soon as it looked like there was going to be an inconvenience, everyone gave up. This is why the government feels like it can do whatever it likes regardless of public opinion, because they know that people can't be arsed to do anything about it.

Come on guys, we all want to see them outside schools and in genuine accident areas, but the whole point of this protest is to stop them being placed anywhere they like in order to make money.
I take it you will be going along then matt if you feel that strongly about it.
As long as people break the speed limit cameras will be used wether we like it or not, if no one broke the law and the income from fines dried up the police would be forced to review the amount of money spent on equipment and the operation of it. As long as we keep speeding they will keep filming.
Its going to get a lot worse before it gets better I wish the protesters all the best on this but i fear your flogging a dead horse.
All IMO of course
Old 25 April 2005, 07:03 PM
Twigster Home
Scooby Regular

Missing the point Kev! I will be going all willing as I think we all should.
The main issue is that camera partnerships are ignoring the real evidence abou tthe impact of cameras on our roads, and that message is allowing driving standards to plummet. I have no wish to end up having to avoid people panic breaking in the middle of a busy motorway section, which has already happened twice since the cameras began to enforce this section of road. There can be no arguments about safety in accident blackspots or in towns and villiages, but on motorways these camera partnerships and their attitudes are nothing short of dangerous, and I believe that the British public should be told the truth.
Old 26 April 2005, 01:37 AM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Last edited by scrappydoo; 02 May 2008 at 04:15 AM. Reason: privacy!
Old 26 April 2005, 04:00 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scrappydoo
Too bloody right matt. well said mate...

So we are flogging a dead horse are we?

Well i guess with an attitude like that we arnt gonna get anywhere are we ,We have to at least try.. I hope you are gonna vote (not by post though) on May 5th mate and get our present, lying, **** government out, as you say it will get worse and if we all think this is bad, wait and see what they have in plan for us all.. ie... 35% more cameras with improved technology, GPS tracking, national ID cards, implanted RFID chips in all goods/people, retinal scans, no human rights..etc etc sodding etc.. I could go on and on but wont..
Well, you will get your try, on the 5th of may ,but you have now moved into a political debate so at this point i shall bow out and wish you good luck with your protest I`ve never been into the swampy ,cnd, tree hugging thing as i said its not for me.
I still thing your flogging a dead horse with the camera thing but thats just IMO .
Matt, I take your point about the positioning of speed cameras and the breaking effect is bound to cause tail end shunts as in tail backs but you cannot deni that in the right places they do a job, you will hearing the patter tiny feet soon and there is nothing more annoying than some dick driving like a t##t through a village when there is children around .
Old 26 April 2005, 05:55 PM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Smile

Last edited by scrappydoo; 02 May 2008 at 04:16 AM. Reason: privacy!
Old 26 April 2005, 07:34 PM
Twigster Home
Scooby Regular

I totally agree Kev, and it is precisely because of that little one that I am going on Saturday. I would love to see speed more heavily enforced in towns, the roads around here are mental and something more needs to be done.

However, that does not apply to the M4, the A40 or some of the other roads that the money-grabbers are targeting, and cannot be held in the same light. Someone doing a sensible cruising speed of 80mph on a motorway cannot be compared to the idiot doing 40 or 50 through a town. Also, remember, if enough people draw attention to an issue then there are many others who will support them. As for May 5th, the only party with a sensible approach to cameras are the conservatives, but since I am a die-hard Welsh nationalist there is no option for me but to obstain. (Not voting for the communists at Plaid Cymru by any stretch).
Old 26 April 2005, 08:16 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

Got my conditional offer today off the nice ice cream van parked on the M4 between J34-J35. I've managed to drag it out as long as poss. Caught on 28 Nov and I still get another 28 days before I have to hand over £60!!!!!

Not bad 3 points and £60 fine, thought it would be more as doing 94 at time.

Any one know where they park these vans over night??????
Old 26 April 2005, 08:27 PM
big daz2
Scooby Senior

just to add insalt to injury i spotted a speed camara van in magor today and on the windscreen was a road angal "hippercritts".
Old 26 April 2005, 09:30 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Twigster Home
I totally agree Kev, and it is precisely because of that little one that I am going on Saturday. I would love to see speed more heavily enforced in towns, the roads around here are mental and something more needs to be done.

However, that does not apply to the M4, the A40 or some of the other roads that the money-grabbers are targeting, and cannot be held in the same light. Someone doing a sensible cruising speed of 80mph on a motorway cannot be compared to the idiot doing 40 or 50 through a town. Also, remember, if enough people draw attention to an issue then there are many others who will support them. As for May 5th, the only party with a sensible approach to cameras are the conservatives, but since I am a die-hard Welsh nationalist there is no option for me but to obstain. (Not voting for the communists at Plaid Cymru by any stretch).
As of yet and as far as i know i dont think locally that the camera vans are targeting people doing around the 80mark more like 90+ but things might have changed. no comment on your political point of view , thats a personal issue but i`m glad that we agree on the fact that people that drive like t###s in built up arears deserve all they get
Old 26 April 2005, 09:31 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by big daz2
just to add insalt to injury i spotted a speed camara van in magor today and on the windscreen was a road angal "hippercritts".
Now that is taking the pi$$
Old 26 April 2005, 09:37 PM
Twigster Home
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kjdmk1
As of yet and as far as i know i dont think locally that the camera vans are targeting people doing around the 80mark more like 90+ but things might have changed. no comment on your political point of view , thats a personal issue but i`m glad that we agree on the fact that people that drive like t###s in built up arears deserve all they get
Kev, the whole reason for this protest is that the scamera vans have now reduced the cut-off to about 75mph as a trial in this area! It is actually organised by local people to the swindon area who have appealed to groups such as safespeed in order to gain more support and utilise their network of contacts to ensure that the maximum effects are acheived.
Old 26 April 2005, 09:37 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DannyBoy007
Got my conditional offer today off the nice ice cream van parked on the M4 between J34-J35. I've managed to drag it out as long as poss. Caught on 28 Nov and I still get another 28 days before I have to hand over £60!!!!!

Not bad 3 points and £60 fine, thought it would be more as doing 94 at time.

Any one know where they park these vans over night??????
Would you like a flake with that sir

94..... you might have been pushing your luck a we bit dan.
Old 26 April 2005, 10:20 PM
Ben WRX Bug-Eye
Scooby Regular

Apologize for this political bit of debate, but I just want to get my two pence worth and think some people are missing the point about what these protests are trying to achieve.

It seems to me that you’re a safe and great driver if you keep under the speed limit regardless of anything else. Who is more dangerous and more likely to run down a child, me traveling at 35mph in a 30 zone with my eyes on the road, giving it my full concentration or the idiot texting on his phone doing 29mph? There is so much more to safe driving than the speed your doing and they send out totally the wrong message.

These camera's don’t catch the boy racers in your local areas who tear around at double the speed limit in built up areas, as they memorize the locations and simply treat them as part of the 'track'. Camera's are great at catching the little old lady who has strayed a few mph over the limit, but useless when it comes to preventing dangerous driving and are no substitute for real police keeping an eye on things. Also and importantly, as the number of cameras has been increasing, the actual number of real police out on the roads has been decreasing (probably because they spend a lot of their time changing film and chasing up the unpaid fines these days).

This 'initiative' to catch these 'lunatic' drivers doing 75mph+ on the M4 is simply pathetic and purely about raising funds. What about those motorists who hog the middle lane and irritate the hell out of everybody. Why aren't they being targeted? Surely more of a problem than me doing 80mph in a car massively more capable than those the 70mph speed limit was originally set against.

The police these days are hell bent on targeting the motorist. I can't rely on them to catch the guy who broke into my car the other day causing hundreds of pounds damage (didn't even bother coming out to look at the vehicle), nor muggers, drug dealers or control the mayhem you get in town centers on Friday or Saturday night's, but should they see me stray a few mph over the speed limit, they'll come down on me like a ton of bricks (yes I know I’ve strayed off the point).

Sorry to rant but I really feel strongly about this. I will be playing my part on the M4 if possible and any other protest for that matter in relation to this issue.

P.S. I own a Snooper S3 and would recommend it to anyone who doesn’t fancy what is becoming an almost inevitable fine and insurance premium increase. I also stick to the speed limits in built up areas and despise the morons racing around town centers as much as the next person but speed cameras are not the answer.
Old 26 April 2005, 11:12 PM
Scrappydoo2003
Scooby Regular

I'd go guys, but unfortunately I'm on nights all weekend, but wish you guys luck..
Old 27 April 2005, 03:40 AM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Last edited by scrappydoo; 02 May 2008 at 04:17 AM. Reason: privacy!
Old 27 April 2005, 09:56 AM
rallyfan1977
Scooby Regular

To bring us back to the protest, I'm one of the organisers for the Leigh Delamere end of the demonstration, I'll be in the red WRX if anyone wants to come and say hello.
The more people taking part in this the better i think

Quick Reply: M4 Speed Camera Protests